• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Are You Reading Right Now?

Rereading The Structure of Scientific Revolutions by Thomas Kuhn. I do this about once every ten years to refresh my recollection.

91jniaw+7TL._AC_UY327_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

How to Lose the Information War: Russia, Fake News, and the Future of Conflict

By Nina Jankowic - I.B. Tauris - 2020 - 288pp

Since the start of the Trump era, the United States and the Western world has finally begun to wake up to the threat of online warfare and the attacks from Russia. The question no one seems to be able to answer is: what can the West do about it? Central and Eastern European states, however, have been aware of the threat for years. Nina Jankowicz has advised these governments on the front lines of the information war. The lessons she learnt from that fight, and from her attempts to get US congress to act, make for essential reading.

somewhither.jpg

SOMEWHITHER

By John C. Wright

This book is one of those books that is equal parts fantasy and Sci-Fi that reads a lot like a collaboration between Dan Simmons and Jim Butcher, addressing both the high minded pursuit of a Simmons novel and the "8 year old smashing action figures together" style of Jim Butcher. In this book, John C. Wright -- a Catholic convert from Atheism -- tackles some of the key tenets of religiosity in general, while developing a rather interesting universe in which his characters live. I found his philosophical arguments very interesting.

All good Sci-Fi (but not so much fantasy, as I have found) uses the dystopian or alien setting to address high concepts such as history, the classics and human nature from the outside in. It should make you look at something you find common in a different light, and force you to reconsider preconceptions. In SOMEWHITHER, Wright tackles the philosophical, logical and practical nature of free will. While the Catholicism is heavy in the book, it is not, for the most part, central to his overarching argument regarding the nature of free will, it is more addressed as a reality under-which free will can exist, and how he does that is rather clever, I think.

In the book Wright presents a setting in which alternative, branching universes exist. How these universes branch I'll get to a bit later as I think it a less philosophical, but nonetheless intriguing plot element, but the story primarily takes place in one particular branched universe that operates on a very different rule set than our own. In this particular universe, humanity operates on a largely atheistic view of human nature, or not really "view", but rather law. In this universe, where the protagonist finds himself inserted, humanity and human nature is seen as purely a deterministic function of a mechanical universe. This version of humanity, driven by this belief became such mathematical geniuses that "horoscopes" became a functional reality, they had grasped human interaction at a mathematical level such that everyone knew how their days and years would unfold. This raised the question of freedom, and if people truly are free. In this universe, they accepted that they were slaves to the horoscopes.

There was, however, a fly in their perfect ointment. The base assumption that humanity was all lower function and animalistic relied a flawed view of humanity. There was, in fact, a duality of mankind in their world. While their horoscopes required all interactions to be predictable, humanities higher functions, in which love, altruism and sacrifice reside, still existed. Where people of that universe delved into their higher functions the horoscopes became less predictable, and the system would break down. The end result, after many millennia, was that their universe had devolved into an all powerful theocratic dictatorship where adherence to the horoscope was preached and, where necessary, brutally enforced. But, since the government of the world is depicted as having both a scientific and religious zeal for torture, you get the feeling that there is more enforcement than anyone is willing to admit.

I found that to be an interesting take on the Free Will debate.

Apart of the running dialogue on the nature of free will, and how humanity would develop in its absence, there was also an interesting bit of Pseudoscience that is, admittedly, not as interesting, but still was interesting enough to make my brain tingle a bit while challenging the concept. The concept was discussed only briefly in a discussion between one other-worldly ally and the protagonist and the protagonist mused on the odd diversions of this alternate universe from our own in the most basic laws of physics. Something things from our own universe just didn't work, while some things worked too well. The protagonist eventually asked how some of the apparent miracle devices of this universe could have been missed by the residents of our universe, and how some of our greatest, most fundamental discoveries have been missed in this universe. This simple answer was this "The people of your universe have a blind spot for the nature of the universe. Much of what you see as discovery was, in fact, creation. When you believe you are the first to observe something, you have, in fact created it." As such, the many branching universes were, in fact, the product of branching, chaotic creation where "discovery" creates physical realities while closing off other potentialities.

I thought that was a pretty cool concept, and ripe for many interesting paths of story arch while maintaining a continuity.

It is rather heavily steeped in Catholicism which may turn off some, as well as being written from the point of view of a hormone drenched male teenager would might offend others. But it's a fun and interesting read if you are up to the challenge.

Mary Trump’s “Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World’s Most Dangerous Man”

717hJKiJh4L._AC_UY327_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

Let them Eat Tweets: How the Right Rules in an Age of Extreme Inequality

By by Jacob S. Hacker and Paul Pierson - Liveright - 2020 - 288pp

A groundbreaking account of the dangerous marriage of plutocratic economic priorities and right-wing populist appeals―and how it threatens the pillars of American democracy.

TRUMAN by David McCullough

Actually listening to it.

71GozuQ-d6L._AC_UY327_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

A Case for the American People: The United States v. Donald J. Trump

By Norman Eisen - Crown - 2020 - 304pp

The book is in the form of arguments to the jury (the American voters) for why Trump must be voted out.
Norman Eisen (J.D. from Harvard Law School in 1991) served as Ambassador to the Czech Republic from 2011 to 2014.
Served as special counsel to the House Judiciary Committee from 2019 to 2020, including for the impeachment and trial of President Trump.

91zeGOELOeL._AC_UY327_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

It Was All a Lie: How the Republican Party Became Donald Trump

By Stuart Stevens - Knopf - 2020 - 256pp

This book unearths how the GOP devolved from it origins and morphed via the Southern Strategy and various policy and political choices to get to where it is today.
The 'party' as it is now has changed significantly from what it used to represent. The GOP of today is unrecognizable and, quite frankly, disgusting.

713p5a5h9EL._AC_UY327_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

True Crimes and Misdemeanors: The Investigation of Donald Trump

By Jeffrey Toobin - Doubleday - 2020 - 496 pages

You can't go wrong with lawyer/commentator Jeffrey Toobin.
With never-before-reported details of the high-stakes legal battles and political machinations, the book weaves a tale of a rogue president guilty of historic misconduct, and how he got away with it.

download (1).jpg

Peace Talks

By Jim Butcher

Just finished Peace Talks. It's another solid chapter in The Dresden Files. I don't know if anyone here reads them (you should!), so I will avoid spoilers and discuss two other observations I have made while taking in Peace Talks..

1) While the actual TV series of The Dresden Files was a wreck, and unworthy of the series, I am watching the series Supernatural and have come to realize that Supernatural likely takes most of it's topic inspiration directly from the pages of The Dresden Files. Much of tha themes and character arcs of Supernatural, as well as the major otherworldy figures that play prominent roles, are present in both series... though in many cases the personalities are somewhat different. But thematically, Supernatural could be set in the world of The Dresden Files... though maybe a little less colorful, and lacking in the wizardry and parliamentary intrigues of the Dresden Files.

2) I get the feeling that somewhere in Jim Butcher's circle of friends and Muses here is someone daring him regularly to try and normalize the weirdest scene or concept possible, and for the most part Butcher succeeds. Not only does he make it work, but he often makes some interesting commentary on the real world in the process. But then there are times where he goes a bridge too far and kind of breaks stride, but they are rare... for me anyway.

3) I've mentioned before, but Butcher has pulled off a feat in Fantasy writing I have rarely seen. He has created a universe of natural and super natural laws that are so consistent that the reader will often be left contemplating the ramifications of a given act or scene well beyond the scope of the story, and find that some books later what they had presumed was indeed true... or when a major plot point is revealed you get the mental dominoes dropping because you know where it is going because, in that world, it makes sense.

It's a great series and I highly recommend it.

710iYDoQ0iL._AC_UY327_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

Compromised: Counterintelligence and the Threat of Donald J. Trump

by Peter Strzok - Houghton Mifflin Harcourt - 2020 - 384pp

The FBI veteran behind the Russia investigation draws on decades of experience hunting foreign agents in the United States to lay bare the threat posed by President Trump.

The mirror & the light / Hilary Mantel, 1952 -.

Subjects
Cromwell, Thomas, -- Earl of Essex, -- 1485?-1540 -- Fiction.
Henry -- VIII, -- King of England, -- 1491-1547 -- Fiction.
Courts and courtiers -- Fiction.
Great Britain -- History -- Henry VIII, 1509-1547 -- Fiction.

Notes
Sequel to Wolf hall (2009) and Bring up the bodies (2012).

Summary
"If you cannot speak truth at a beheading, when can you speak it?" England, May 1536. Anne Boleyn is dead, decapitated in the space of a heartbeat by a hired French executioner. As her remains are bundled into oblivion, Thomas Cromwell breakfasts with the victors. The blacksmith's son from Putney emerges from the spring's bloodbath to continue his climb to power and wealth, while his formidable master, Henry VIII, settles to short-lived happiness with his third queen before Jane dies giving birth to the male heir he most craves.

An excellent trilogy, about Cromwell & Henry VIII & their world. Like a moth to the flame ...

91q8DzhvbfL._AC_UY327_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

His Truth Is Marching On: John Lewis and the Power of Hope

by Jon Meacham - Random House - 2020 - 368pp

This is a book rich in history, and one that everyone should read. John Lewis lead by example, and fought every day of his life for what he believed in. He never let anyone or anything stop his voice from being heard.

Currently reading "waiting for the barbarians".read-library-waiting-for-the-barbarians-a-novel-fullpages-1-638.jpg

I think this book is really important. It had a great impact on me

91479.jpg

Death Masks- Jim Butcher: This is the first Dresden Files book Ive read (got it cheap at a used bookstore). I've heard a lot about the series, and it basically invented the urban fantasy genre. I'm always on the lookout for bestselling books, and I read them for research, so that I can improve my own works. So I read a few chapters at a time and...

I didn't like it.

Dont get me wrong, Butcher is a good writer, and I can see why a lot of readers like it because of the tropes and all, but the constant battles in every chapter grew boring for me. First of all, Harry always seems to have a spell in his sleeve to get him out of trouble. The narration is in first person, so it pretty much means he will either win or escape in the end, so there's no suspense or danger either.

Also, he has a lot of witty banter, some of it works, others are cringe inducing. What's even worse is that the enemies he goes up against plays along with him, so it all sort of feels... contrived. And while Harry normally outsmarts the bad guys, he happens to turn dumb whenever the plot demands it in order to lengthen the story.

In the end, its well written, plenty of action, but not for me, thanks. Rating: 5/10

51EysXY1DrL._AC_UY327_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

The Plot to Betray America: How Team Trump Embraced Our Enemies, Compromised Our Security, and How We Can Fix It

By Malcolm Nance - Hachette Books - 2019 - 352pp

A bit dated at 1 year old, but there are still nuggets of good useful information within these pages.

Rome, sweet Rome
RomeSweetRome1-8v2.pdf - Google Drive

The marine expeditionary force (MEU) of 2,200 men is somehow transported back in time from its base in present-day Kabul, Afghanistan, to the Roman Empire during the reign of Augustus and appeared at the Tiber river in 23 BC with a full set of equipment - Abrams M1 battle tanks, bulletproof vests,M249 light machine guns, M16A4 rifles and grenades, but without resupplying fuel or ammunition.

Just finished Mama's Last Hug - great insights from a world-renowned researcher into animal psychology and how they share more emotions with us than we might give credit for.

The best stories are true and the best non-fiction is told by good storytellers.

mama.jpg

51DkPO2zg5L._AC_SX184_.jpg

Donald Trump v. The United States: Inside the Struggle to Stop a President

By Michael S. Schmidt - Random House - 2020 - 448pp

Pulitzer Prize–winning New York Times reporter Michael S. Schmidt chronicles the clash between a president and the officials of his own government who tried to stop him.

1600858754068.png

What Were We Thinking: A Brief Intellectual History of the Trump Era

By Carlos Lozada - Simon & Schuster - 2020 - 272pp

Pulitzer Prize–winning book critic uses the books of the Trump era to argue that our response to this presidency reflects the same failures of imagination that made it possible

Back
Top Bottom