• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What’s the Matter with Men?

and don't care to do anything about it.
WTF? It is up to me to do something about it? Listen up, if someone is a loser and wants to blame women, or Woke culture, or the "other" for their sorry lives that is on them. I have had a long and happy and successful life, and never needed to blame anyone.
Maybe you should try it.

When did that become a lie?

Cannot even get past the first post without women being blamed for men's problems.

Haven't read the article but this isn't the first time this has been discussed. I don't view this remark as blaming women for men's problems. The reality is that the roles of men and women have changed, with women gaining more in terms of income, career opportunities, and personal independence and autonomy. Even probably a good 40-50 years past the time when women stayed home while the man went out and worked 9-5, these changes occurred in stages. It's probably been in the last 10-20 years that women have made inroads into executive position and positions of power and status. The boys club has been challenged and some don't know how to handle it because they've been conditioned that they're supposed to be providers, career-oriented, etc.

But to your point, the male/female dynamic is probably only one aspect to the modern male crisis. I think modern living is also a major factor. Lots of men are living alone and disconnected from the structures of family and friendships that scaffolded them as they were growing up and transitioning into adulthood.

That's not what the author was saying. That like the dumbest possible take from it one could do.
The attempt to paint it as if men can't adapt, especially in the face of "liberation of women" is ridiculous. Men have adapted to many more significant changes than that over history. Further, they didn't even propose what hurdle women being liberated even presented.

I think there are many things going on. One, boys are growing up hearing about how men are at fault for everything, which isn't going to do much for their self-esteem. Combine that with the fact there is zero encouragement for boys and men in society. Add in there that there isn't financial aid for men to seek higher education as another reason why there are less going that route. Further, many jobs that are more traditionally for men are much more subject to swings in the market (e.g. construction).
These faults you pick out are not new. They have always been around and so are not an explanation for the current problem.

Last edited:
Haven't read the article but this isn't the first time this has been discussed. I don't view this remark as blaming women for men's problems. The reality is that the roles of men and women have changed, with women gaining more in terms of income, career opportunities, and personal independence and autonomy. Even probably a good 40-50 years past the time when women stayed home while the man went out and worked 9-5, these changes occurred in stages. It's probably been in the last 10-20 years that women have made inroads into executive position and positions of power and status. The boys club has been challenged and some don't know how to handle it because they've been conditioned that they're supposed to be providers, career-oriented, etc.

But to your point, the male/female dynamic is probably only one aspect to the modern male crisis. I think modern living is also a major factor. Lots of men are living alone and disconnected from the structures of family and friendships that scaffolded them as they were growing up and transitioning into adulthood.
The so called structure of western society is supposedly based on the nuclear family, ie. One man, one women and a few kids. It was an artificial set up created by religious mores rather than common sense. Disconnecting from that family structure type would do more to alleviate loneliness than encouraging it.

The reality is that we need to do a better job raising boys and young men to be competent, competitive, compassionate and capable in 2023 and beyond.

The old “boys will be boys” doesn’t cut it - from early childhood education classrooms and expectations all the way through adult life.

Personally? In raising a very active little boy - I’ve found that some schools are not equipped/designed for young and energetic boys.

The old-school style of sitting in a desk in a packed classroom and focusing on paper on a desk/typing in a laptop while a teacher stands in front of the classroom doesn’t work. And that’s not simply my observation with my own son - It has been shown, in repeated studies. Girls mature faster and have self-control at earlier ages and are able to excel in academics in settings where self-control is necessary (such as traditional classrooms) and more and more boys struggle with this.

Boys tends to need more physical movement to release energy and then that, in turn, allows them to focus. When I moved my son to an environment where there were smaller class sizes, more hand-on learning experiences, more opportunities to be outside/physically move his body - his academic performance has completely changed and so has behavior reports from school.

Where he would get notes sent home previously for being “disruptive” or “playing” - he’s now being given opportunity to be more creative, move, etc. One aspect of why we made the move was that I noticed he was beginning to dislike school. And I can’t blame him - when you’re constantly getting a negative feedback loop, anyone would become disheartened. (I do not blame the school for this - they were working within the constraints they had and structure they had)

I also keep him BUSY. Sports, martial arts, scouts, outside PLAYING, swimming, etc. He has a room full of Legos and other manipulatives for inside play. Plus his iPad and Switch. (Happy to say that he’s not often on the electronics, although I do not limit their time)

More than all that - we talk about emotions. We talk about how it is ok to be angry, sad, tired, lonely, wanting attention, etc. We talk about how to express those emotions and the needs that arise from them in healthy ways. (Example: if he’s bored or wanting attention and Dad/I are busy - rather than doing something to GET our attention, coming to us and telling us that he needs attention. Or when he’s angry, rather than acting impulsively on that anger, techniques to help alleviate the anger/work through it and then figure out WHY he is angry - example: he can’t figure out a math problem - rather than crumpling up the paper or throwing the pencil, skipping the problem and doing other problems he does know the answer to and then asking for help or taking a few moments to breathe deep and look at the problem again…or rather than throwing the baseball bat because he struck out and is pissed…sitting down and playing with the Velcro on his baseball glove and taking a minute to just let the anger pass and we will practice more later so he gets better)

It takes CONSISTENT effort. Lots of time and patience. Lots of positive reinforcement. Lots of explaining and talking. And lots of hugs.

Girls tend to be more “intuitive” and able to just pick up on social cues and learn things. And girl social circles (at least in my experience) tend to call each other out on social behaviors…from a young age.

Boys social dynamics are different. They don’t seem to “talk” - they DO. They rough house, they play, they high five, etc…but they don’t really say “you ok?” and take notice of each other’s emotions unless they’re taught to.

I think the biggest issue we have/face is that many people don’t take the TIME. We just expect kids to know and learn these things…and “be” the way we expect them to be. But how are they supposed to know if we don’t take the time to SHOW and teach them?

They’re kids. And kids don’t know how to deal with complex emotions, kids don’t know how to navigate life, kids don’t know how to express themselves fully.

When we don’t teach them and take the time to teach them - then they grow up into poorly adjusted adults who don’t have the skills to navigate 2023 and beyond.

Way too many adults didn’t learn those skills to be able to teach them - and other adults don’t have the time or desire TO teach them.

So…here we are.

So…here we are.
Now THAT was a very comprehensive reply, but alas, too many dads still believe their boys need GI Joe sets, give them video games to play (usually violent ones) to "keep them busy" and tell them "don't let anyone push you around, be a man!" Dads, or at least some dads, maybe most dads, would frown if little Johnny brings home a black girlfriend, or one with pink hair and black fingernails, or one that isn't exactly "pretty" by Hollywood standards. Then these boys go out into the real world and realize their machoism doesn't cut it any more, then they turn into snowflakes (as opposed to SNOWFLAKES, just sayin')

WTF? It is up to me to do something about it? Listen up, if someone is a loser and wants to blame women, or Woke culture, or the "other" for their sorry lives that is on them. I have had a long and happy and successful life, and never needed to blame anyone.
Maybe you should try it.
Thanks for proving my point yet again. You don't give a shit about young men as well, as everyone else, which is one of the reasons they are struggling.

These faults you pick out are not new. They have always been around and so are not an explanation for the current problem.
Yes, they are new.

Thanks for proving my point yet again. You don't give a shit about young men as well, as everyone else, which is one of the reasons they are struggling.
They are struggling because they have been fed the notion of machoism, and when that fails, they don't have the balls nor the intellect to do something different.

They are struggling because they have been fed the notion of machoism, and when that fails, they don't have the balls nor the intellect to do something different.
Yeah...that's totally it. Because those things didn't exist before. Let's face it, everything you wrote proves me correct and your OP is premised on you not actually giving a shit. This is how this went:

You - Here is a thread saying that young men are struggling.
Me - One of the issues is that no one cares about men and their struggles.
You - Good. **** 'em.

Like I said, you don't give a shit about any underlying issues, so don't quote me. I'll be here for others, who want to actually have an honest and rational discussion about this.

Yeah...that's totally it. Because those things didn't exist before. Let's face it, everything you wrote proves me correct and your OP is premised on you not actually giving a shit. This is how this went:

You - Here is a thread saying that young men are struggling.
Me - One of the issues is that no one cares about men and their struggles.
You - Good. **** 'em.

Like I said, you don't give a shit about any underlying issues, so don't quote me. I'll be here for others, who want to actually have an honest and rational discussion about this.
give it a rest. seriously. refer to the opening article.
Men are increasingly dropping out of work during their prime working years, overdosing, drinking themselves to death, and generally dying earlier, including by suicide.
Let me repeat for the last time: I am a white male, I have had a successful life, I did so without worrying about the changes around me, in fact, I embraced them.
If there are insecure little men who can't cope, that is ON THEM. Deal with it!!!!

give it a rest. seriously. refer to the opening article.

Let me repeat for the last time: I am a white male, I have had a successful life, I did so without worrying about the changes around me, in fact, I embraced them.
If there are insecure little men who can't cope, that is ON THEM. Deal with it!!!!
It's good to see you put in black and white that you don't give two shits about young men getting hood on drugs and dying or committing suicide. This is exactly why it's happening. Imagine saying what you're saying and thinking you're one of the good guys.

It's good to see you put in black and white that you don't give two shits about young men getting hood on drugs and dying or committing suicide. This is exactly why it's happening. Imagine saying what you're saying and thinking you're one of the good guys.
Imagine you are one of the bright guys who doesn't know how to construct a sentence.

Imagine you are one of the bright guys who doesn't know how to construct a sentence.
Oh noes! You pointed out a typo. That totally makes a real point.

They’re floundering at school and in the workplace. Some conservatives blame a crisis of masculinity, but the problems—and their solutions—are far more complex.

Not a complex issue at all.
It is nothing new that a very significant percentage of Mensa members tend to end up in menial jobs or as self-made entrepreneurs for the simple reason that schools were simply never geared to deal with kids like them. Education systems do not reward intelligence or talent (directly at least), rather they reward what they cater to. And obviously, like any system that has ever existed, what they cater to will change depending on time and location as ideas and cirumstances change.

If schools don't cater to the needs of poor kids, poor kids will not excel. If schools don't cater to the needs of black kids, black kids will not excel. If schools don't cater to the needs of boys, then boys will not excel. The kids who will excel are those being catered to, that is hardly rocket science. And like always, there will be plenty of people brushing it off and saying that the people at the bottom of the catering barrel just need to conform and do better.

Not a complex issue at all.
It is nothing new that a very significant percentage of Mensa members tend to end up in menial jobs or as self-made entrepreneurs for the simple reason that schools were simply never geared to deal with kids like them. Education systems do not reward intelligence or talent (directly at least), rather they reward what they cater to. And obviously, like any system that has ever existed, what they cater to will change depending on time and location as ideas and cirumstances change.

If schools don't cater to the needs of poor kids, poor kids will not excel. If schools don't cater to the needs of black kids, black kids will not excel. If schools don't cater to the needs of boys, then boys will not excel. The kids who will excel are those being catered to, that is hardly rocket science. And like always, there will be plenty of people brushing it off and saying that the people at the bottom of the catering barrel just need to conform and do better.
I am a white male, my education was fine. BUT then again, Canada, you know.

The attempt to paint it as if men can't adapt, especially in the face of "liberation of women" is ridiculous. Men have adapted to many more significant changes than that over history. Further, they didn't even propose what hurdle women being liberated even presented.

I think there are many things going on. One, boys are growing up hearing about how men are at fault for everything, which isn't going to do much for their self-esteem. Combine that with the fact there is zero encouragement for boys and men in society. Add in there that there isn't financial aid for men to seek higher education as another reason why there are less going that route. Further, many jobs that are more traditionally for men are much more subject to swings in the market (e.g. construction).
We have transitioned to a knowledge and skills based economy. Men mature slower than women, and as a result women tend to gain the knowledge necessary to compete in our economy today at an earlier age than men do.

This is obvious to most parents that have raised boys and girls, usually their daughters are more mature and responsible at 18 than their son's are at 22. I am not sure what the solution is to this, some have suggested boys should start school a year later than girls do.

I don't think it has anything to do with a culture war against men though. It's more that if you put girls and boys on equal footing in terms of education and opportunity, girls who tend to mature faster, will do better on average at an earlier age than boys will.

Back
Top Bottom