• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What’s going on? Another Fox News host calls for assault weapon ban after...[W:234]

Re: WHOA! Finally, a couple Fox News pundits open the door to gun control!

Μολὼν λαβέ;1065970082 said:
Repealing a current one.

See very little effort to repeal the Second Amendment and that is NOT the focus of discussion.

Did Obama say, "The notion that I, or Hillary, or Democrats want to take away folks's guns is not true"?

Did you hear him out? Or did you just dismiss him after the first sentence? How can anyone communicate or have an adult discussion with you if refuse to listen to what they have to say? How can you be objective if you won't even try to hear both sides of the argument? Why....WHY...WHY??? :whothere:

Over 50 people have been shot in Chicago since Sunday. Why aren't the strict gun laws working?

See very little effort to repeal the Second Amendment and that is NOT the focus of discussion.

There little effort to repeal the 2nd Amendment, and tons of effort to ban guns illegally.

From Raw Story:

Something is definitely going on over at Fox News — where two hosts have come out in favor of gun control laws.

Gretchen Carlson surprised viewers Tuesday afternoon by calling on lawmakers to reinstate a ban on weapons like the AR-15 that a gunman used to murder 49 people and wound 53 more at a gay nightclub in Orlando.

Later that evening, Bill O’Reilly cast some blame on conservatives for the domestic terror attack and hate crime, which he said might have been prevented or lessened if the killer hadn’t been able to buy the weapons he used.

“There is too much gun crime in the USA, and high powered weaponry is too easy to get,” O’Reilly said. “That’s the fact. So let’s deal with it. We all have the right to bear arms, but we don’t have the right to buy and maintain mortars — even if you feel threatened by gangsters or a New World Order. No bazookas, no Sherman tanks, no hand grenades. That’s because the Second Amendment clearly states the government has a right to regulate militias, made up of individuals. They have that right in the name of public safety.”

I knew when the Sydney attack happened in Australia, that it would be a matter or time before domestic terrorists started resorting to using guns. It's going to keep happening until something changes.

Except the part, "shall not be infringed".

Models of guns have been banned before and were NOT ruled as unconstitutional. That precedent has already been set.

Did you hear him out? Or did you just dismiss him after the first sentence? How can anyone communicate or have an adult discussion with you if refuse to listen to what they have to say? How can you be objective if you won't even try to hear both sides of the argument? Why....WHY...WHY??? :whothere:

Did he make that comment?

There little effort to repeal the 2nd Amendment, and tons of effort to ban guns illegally.

I do not know what you are trying to say there.

Models of guns have been banned before and were NOT ruled as unconstitutional. That precedent has already been set.

American citizens have been imprisoned based on race, ethnicity and national origin, without due process of the law, too. That doesn't make it legal.

Gosh. It's almost as if those were also two of the three spokespersons for FOX who have been most busy at night soft-pitching a big-government liberal for POTUS....

New York Liberals Turn Out To Be New York Liberals. Details at 11.

Are you saying that they support Trump? I can't see O'Reilly being a Trump supporter. That would surprise me for some reason.

I do not know what you are trying to say there.

So far, the plans to ban guns have been illegal. Congress can't pass a law that bans guns and The Supreme Court can't change The Constitution.

I do believe even the Conservative members of the Supreme Court have said the infringed bit is for the right to own A firearm.

You have a link to that? Thanks...

They have also said no right is without limits. (no other right is limitless)

This is true, however, no other "right" has the terminology "shall not be infringed" incorporated within the wording. In the context of the 2nd Amendment it refers to "the right of the people to keep and bear arms."

In Heller v DC the SCOTUS also referred to the type of "arms" that would not be reasonable. I didn't see the AR15 mentioned.

The Supreme Court can't change The Constitution.

Greetings, apdst. :2wave:

They don't have to change it - all they need to do is "interpret," on a partisan basis, what the words really mean, which I expect to see vigorously attempted now, since the 'baby steps" that have been taken in the past few years haven't worked as well as was hoped. The first two Rights in the Bill of Rights - freedom of speech and the right to bear arms - that our Founders saw fit to include because they wanted to make certain that We The People should not ever lose them, are both apparently being challenged by the Federal government, the one body they warned might try - several hundred years ago! :shock:

No one is getting "disarmed" since "disarming" means taking away all firearms. And how about this - let's either require all American citizens to be part of the militia...or agree that the time of the militia (and as a result, the "shall not be infringed" part of the 2A) is long past, and that the necessity of such is long gone, too.

You write fiction, right?

American citizens have been imprisoned based on race, ethnicity and national origin, without due process of the law, too. That doesn't make it legal.

But it does make your reply irrelevant.

So far, the plans to ban guns have been illegal. Congress can't pass a law that bans guns and The Supreme Court can't change The Constitution.

Congress has banned models of guns and it was NOT ruled as unconstitutional.

Ahhh the 'gun' rubber absurdium debate... no i'm for a mandatory 40 year sentence for FFL dealers who operate 'gun' shill stores, fail to account for weapons sold or fail to report multiple purchases of firearms. I'm all for tripling the ATF's audit staff and stopping the rabid right's ability to foil attempts to bring rouge dealers back into the fold or into prison...

I'd rather work on keeping the horse in the barn rather than locking the door once it gets the pistol and commits a violent crime... ;)

You in???? :peace

I'm for enforcing existing law...you bet. But it's not at all shocking that when it comes to attacking the actual problem and he people actually committing the violent crimes you scurry right back into your hole. Typical.

Are you saying that they support Trump? I can't see O'Reilly being a Trump supporter. That would surprise me for some reason.
??? Yeah. Pretty much all of FOX New York are Trump boosters.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

yeah shocked me, and i think trump also one upped his opponents by both blasting islam and approaching the NRA for *some* (very limited) gun control, but enough that it just might have prevented this (but certainly not others) tragedy

You write fiction, right?

When I write fiction, it's DESIGNED to be understood that it IS fiction...and the only "fiction" I've ever put online outside of the one book I've written was in the form of obvious satire.

But I get it - because I write anything at all that's fictional, in your mind that automatically means that anything at all that I post must be suspected of being fiction...because only fiction writers write fiction, I guess, and non-fiction writers (like Trump, for instance) would never, ever post anything untrue....

What the heck are you talking about? Fox has more libs than a San Francisco pride festival. You just now realized this?

Ah. Fox is a hotbed of liberalism. Right.

The only reason that you (and other far, far right conservatives) make such a claim is because you (and they) have moved your personal political-lean goalposts not just farther to the right side of the stadium, but several blocks away outside the stadium...and so where you personally believe the 50-yard line is, is nowhere near where the 50-yard line actually is, but instead is way the heck out in the stadium's parking lot.

Gretchen Carlson surprised viewers Tuesday afternoon by calling on lawmakers to reinstate a ban on weapons like the AR-15 that a gunman used to murder 49 people and wound 53 more at a gay nightclub in Orlando.

I don't know why anyone would be surprised that Gretchen came out with that opinion. She was a liberal when she was hired by fox news and she has not changed. Nothing new with Gretchen.

Later that evening, Bill O’Reilly cast some blame on conservatives for the domestic terror attack and hate crime, which he said might have been prevented or lessened if the killer hadn’t been able to buy the weapons he used.

Bill O'reilly is and always has been a bloviating narcissist. The left likes to think he is a conservative guru along the likes of Rush Limbaugh, however he has always hugged the center to moderate right out of fear of losing his "no spin zone" persona. He has never actually taken a profoundly conservative stance on anything. And he is a drama queen adding the comparison to mortars, bazookas, sherman tanks, grenades etc. No second amendment supporter is suggesting that the second amendment gives anyone a right to high explosive weapons or fulling functioning battle tanks. And O'Reilly is a horses ass when he gives conservatives any blame at all for the Orlando shooter. It was not conservatives that took his name off the terror list. And the number of naive politicians and posters who think everything would be alright if we just had tougher gun control laws is astounding. The Orlando shooter planned this event well in advance. Does anyone really think he would have just said "Oh Damn. I can't buy the guns legally, so I will just cancel my plans"???????? He would have obtained the weapons he desired, one way or other. And as for the "too much gun crime in the USA" O'Reilly should be aware that the vast majority of gun crime in the USA is in the hood...the inner cities. And if we were able to subtract the gun crime in four specific US cities, the USA would be about fourth from the bottom of the list in the category of gun crime.

Like several of the other conservatives on here, you're so far to the right that in your perception, Carlson and O'Reilly are stark raving liberals, and you cannot conceive that yeah, they ARE conservatives, that you're so far over to the right on the political spectrum that you've lost your sense of perspective.

Or to put it another way, you've moved the goalpost not just farther to the right, but out past the parking lot a few blocks down the road...and because of that, where you personally think the 50-yard line oughta be, is still way the heck out in the parking lot. You've lost the ability to see the 50-yard line where it really is, still inside that stadium.

If by "courageous" you mean to totally disregard the US Constitution and throw it out, including all other Rights that will get thrown out at the same time. Welcome folks to they type of talk that leads to tyrannical dictatorships where the only opinions allowed are those held by those that are in power.

The argument you just made is not much different from the arguments the Right made in the years before Roe v. Wade.

The Supreme Court can't change The Constitution.

No, they don't change it. They do interpret it. And the words written in the Constitution - like any large written work of great import - can usually be interpreted to mean whatever a particular person wants it to mean. Same thing goes with the Bible and the Qur'an - take ten people to read all three works, and you're almost certainly not going to find any two of those ten who agree in all respects concerning any of those works.

Back
Top Bottom