• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Well, it was nice while it lasted...

Hard work, desire, motivation, and courage.

Just a few to start you off..

Tim-
that stuff is to many liberals what sunlight is to count dracula

Some is rich and some is poor
And thats the way the world is
And I don't believe in lying back
And saying how bad your life is

Joe Strummer-Bankrobber

You do realize his Daddy loved to steal your money, right?

And the results are in! Veddy intedesting...

OK, since no one challenged my initial premise, I will assume everyone who has contributed agrees with my assessment.

Therefore everyone agrees we are engaged in class warfare, so at least that's out in the open.

Also, I had hoped, as I always do, to stimulate some discussion of the effect of PR industry manufactured messaging on our political discourse, how its use creates a disconnect from objective reality. Both sides use these techniques, and the current spectacle unfolding in DC provided an excellent opportunity to see this at work. Especially in regards to the use of these techniques by Democrats. Alas, nothing.

But onwards with the results!

Fox reported Sanders' speech without commentary. Going for the "ignore it so no one thinks it's important" routine.

The conservative blogosphere came out against it, which inflamed the more extreme elements of their base. Haven't parsed this one completely, but "liberals" citing the likes of Krauthammer, just fuels my Good Cop/Bad Cop fantasy :mrgreen:!

The rest of the mainstream media also left Sanders' speech alone (MSNBC being in "tabloid crime and prison" mode for the weekend)

The meme the Dem PR machine came up with: "This was a great deal. We got everything we wanted. Look how mad the Right is." was an epic fail with the angry elements of his base (of which I am admittedly one), but was picked up cheerfully by the MM.

I still don't see how cutting $112 billion in contributions to Social Security is a great deal in the long run when the Right can't stop salivating over its dissolution.

And of course I knew we'd have to swallow this sh*t sandwich for the unemployed alone, I just expected the "audacity" guy to at least apply a little pressure, make 'em look like the jerks they are, terrorists, by the loosest definition.

But no, he just talks smack, to me.

I even heard "Suck it up, get over it, what are ya gonna do, vote for a Republican? Get to the center where you belong" from "liberal" commentators. And "The voters spoke in November", as if Citizens United and propaganda had nothing to do with the results of the last election. But I digress.

Thanks for participating!

Re: And the results are in! Veddy intedesting...

What if -
I even heard "Suck it up, get over it, what are ya gonna do, vote for a Republican? Get to the center where you belong" from "liberal" commentators. And "The voters spoke in November", as if Citizens United and propaganda had nothing to do with the results of the last election. But I digress

This is why your party is attempting to move to the center. Some of them still don't get it, like Sanders, for instance. And now you..

I'd be curious exactly what "propaganda" was the cause of so many people voting republican though. :)

Tim-

It's actually quite a bit my business when a company chooses to pay one or more individuals salaries that can't be economically justified.
I've never heard of this "economically justifiable measure of pay". Still not your business.

The reason that it is my business is that it effects my salary.
Your salary is either your choice if you control it, or up to your employer. That's your business. The rest, not your business.

At any particular point in time, a company can only spend a particular amount on salaries.
False. You can budget for salaries, but it's not a particular amount. It's bounded, but only by what you could get through investment, grants, loans, sweat equity, stock options, etc. It's also an investment. It's so much more than your claim, that it's a particular amount, and a single point in time, that it's absurd to anyone who actually is involved in the process. If I believed I had a gem of a salesperson, I might also have to factor in how much business they would BRING IN if they worked for me, and what's that worth to me, short term, med. term, or long term? It also doesn't factor in competition, both in terms of retention from poaching, the wandering eye. Why do you believe you're qualified to offer advice on this topic? Do you offer advice to heart surgeons, when you know nothing about heart surgery? That would be silly wouldn't it?

When GM complained last week that the salary caps on a few top CEO's are harming its ability to be profitable, thats totally bull****. GM claimed that it cant hire the good executives that it needs to become profitable. Well, I have a solution, since the executives at GM are apparently not good, then maybe they should all be fired and replaced by good ones.
Maybe. How would either of us know though?

As crappy a job as they have done, they could probably find much better executives fairly easily. Just how good do you have to be to run a company in the ground?
Pretty good actually. To get the helm of a company that large, you are vetted quite a bit more than say, an IT troubleshooter, you know?

They could probably find better executives for 1/10th of what they currently pay. Surely there is someone in this world who could fill the shoes of the GM CEO for $400k per year (1/10th of what he currently makes). $400k is a lot of dough, there are some very capable people in this world who don't make anything like that much
. Run GM for $400K? Hahaha. That's funny. Maybe if they already have a net worth of $50M, or get another $2M in stock each year + a massive pension even if they were fired. They'd have to be an idiot to run GM for $400K only. You can make $400K with a small business and have 1/10th the headaches of the GM CEO.

If you're this bullheaded about things you don't know about...maybe that's why it's not your business? Just saying. Be reasonable, think about it. Get busting on your own career/business, and enjoy the time you have on the earth. i.e. stop telling others you know better and demand they bend to your will. Do that while waving a gun and you could get arrested....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom