• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Was the Orlando shootings and attack on the United States, on LGBT...

Was the Orlando shootings and attack on the United States, on LGBT, or both?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah, I've had to change my take on it.
And now there's hints that maybe his wife knew in advance what he was planning. It's a tangled mess.

Very much so. Most shootings are a bit when the information is still getting itself together. I just hope this is an isolated nutjob and not a sign of a larger threat (though we seem pretty good at preventing the more organized incidents so it might only be a fluke which would also be a small blessing).

I agree, the fact it was a gay bar is irreverent because he also scoped out Disney world. He just wanted to kill as many in a close environment as possible and Disney World might have a lot of people there it is hardly a close environment as compared to this club.

you have to be really dense, or some ulterior motive such as acting like gays are not a victimized group, indeed to think that of the dozens of clubs in orlando he picked a gay one and claimed allegiance to ISIS for any reason other than the victims were gay. Especially given his homophobic tirades that coworkers and his family admitted to

You apparently should read before posting because he was last seen scoping out disney world as a target **during gay days**

Was the Orlando shootings and attack on the United States, on LGBT, both, or something else?

Kinda both, I think. I think it was sort of an attack on LGBT people being allowed to exist in public most of the time, which is a product of American culture. Don't get me wrong, there is still a lot of LGBT harassment on a much smaller scale than this shooting. But we have gotten to the point where things like LGBT clubs exist in broad daylight rather than being run underground by the mob like a speak-easy, as they were in the days of Stonewall. And it was an attack on the increasing acceptance of LGBT, as well as LGBT people themselves.

All of this is complicated by all of the evidence coming out that Mateen may have been a repressed gay man himself. Again, on the "US culture" side of things, he might have seen a broader community where people were able to be themselves, felt unable to be part of it with the repressive family he had, and taken vengeance based on that.

Lots of closeted gay people feel that way. But most of them, when in a situation where their family absolutely will not accept them, move and start their lives over. That's what my cousin did. Given his contact with extremist propoganda, the rather disturbed home he grew up in and his history of domestic violence, he... chose a different route, so to speak.

The more information comes out, the more I see it as sort of an attack on people who were happier than he was, quite frankly.

RE: anyone saying "no, he's just crazy"

________

He hated gay people. He'd recently been enraged after seeing gay people kissing in public.

I really wish I didn't understand the urge to shift the blame to "lunacy" whenever someone appears to have been motivated by bigotry like racism or hatred of gay people. Heard the same crap when Dylan Roof committed a mass shooting against black people to, in his words, try to trigger a "race war."

Nope...just a lunatic. Let's not talk about racism.

Maybe people wouldn't get the idea of hating gay people into their heads if there wasn't so much anti-gay rhetoric flowing around.....

it was an action taken by a radical muslim terrorist in keeping with his islamic faith which calls for the death of homosexuals.

Quran; (7:80-84) - "...For ye practice your; lusts on men in preference to women: ye are indeed a people transgressing beyond bounds.... And we; rained down on them; a shower (of brimstone)"

there you have it, burn the queers, that's in the quran people look it up they're on sale at your local book store for probably less than $10.

/thread.

Back
Top Bottom