• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Was Ronald Reagan that popular and well liked in the 1980s?

Of course conservatives have created a great myth about his presidency. He wasn’t responsible for destroying the Soviet Union or the 80’s economic boom due to technology and efficiency. He exploded the deficit and made Iran an enemy needlessly. He began the neocon era. I give him credit for tax cuts that were really necessary and possibly reducing some entitlements that were out of control.

Made Iran an enemy needlessly? Seriously? Are you not familiar with our relationship with Iran the year prior to Reagan taking office?

Tax cuts? For billionaires and corporations, sure. For the average working stiff, not so much. In fact, Reagan signed tax increases several times during his tenure, including the first tax on Social Security benefits.

Reagan was popular for a number of reasons, not the least of which was getting shot in broad daylight. Taking a bullet always raises the polling numbers for any president.

He was a very articulate and effective speaker, but more than that, he had the respect of the democratic leadership. Tip O'Neill, democrat speaker of the house, while he opposed many of Reagan's policies and positions, would still sit down at the end of the day and share a cold beer with him. These were the days before the word "compromise" was considered heresy - by either side.

Don Regan, Reagan's chief of staff, tells of an interesting incident:

There was a minor staffer who was briefing the president in the Oval Office about some technical policy matter. The staffer went on an on for several minutes. When he was done, the staffer was dismissed. Regan asked the president "Why didn't you ask him any questions?" "Because," replied the president, "I didn't want him to know I didn't have a clue what he was talking about."

Reagan was indeed beginning to suffer the effects of Alzheimer's in his last years of his presidency, though it was not generally known at the time.

As evidence of Reagan's popularity, I submit that the election of his VP GHW Bush was in large part due to Reagan's popularity. It is quite rare that a VP is later elected in his own right without first taking the office upon the death of his predecessor in office. Not unprecedented, but quite rare.

Reagan to Bush to Bush ramped up the US war machine after the brief hiatus post-Vietnam.

Reagan via Grenada made invasion hip again.

GHW Bush played media wars in Panama and Iraq, using US media as cheerleaders instead of adversaries like they were in Nam.

W doubled down on it in Iraq and Afghanistan.

So, if anything, Reagan is the father of the reemergence of American imperialism.

None of those wars were “imperialist” though.

The way you hear people talk about Reagan today you would think he was extremely popular and well liked but when I watch documentaries and interviews from that time period I get the impression his presidency was very divisive and like Trump there was a large portion of the population that disliked him and viewed him as a joke.

His administration was also the most corrupt as 138 people were either indicted or had to resign due to involvement in some scandal and there were numerous ones besides Iran Contra like Wedtek, EPA scandal and the Savings and Loans scandal.

I also get the impression from watching a video of Reagan visiting young marines at camp David that people who were young at the time either did not like him or were indifferent to him. Another thing that disturbed me (as someone that goes to school in NYC) was how scary NYC was during that time period. I've seen countless videos on YouTube of what Manhattan used to be like and it's surreal to me the city was ever that bad.

I just feel there are a lot of people who romanticise Reagan's time in office and look back on it fondly when it was in many ways very divisive and did a lot of damage to our country.

I hope the same thing fondness people have for Reagan never happens with W. Bush or Trump.
Look at election results for 1984. That should answer your question. As backup, check 1988 when Reagan's VP kicked ass.

I wasn't alive during his presidency but that was the impression I got from my research. Since you were alive then do you remember what young people at the time thought of him?

Saint Ray Goon was elected because of his fireside chats reminiscent of the 40's radio. Also because people for one reason or another could not understand carter was a true christian and had problems with killing people. Taxes went up and jobs went down. I did not vote for him as I could see his fakeness like trumpys.

I wasn't alive during his presidency but that was the impression I got from my research. Since you were alive then do you remember what young people at the time thought of him?

He wasn't well liked by the left and the young. I was in my 30s and I liked him at the time, but my politics changed, and I now believe, in retrospect, it was not a good president, though he was a good speech giver ( he didn't write many of his speeches, though he edited them ).

The right loved him, but he was highly criticized by the left.

Reagan, was almost as bad as Trump. Reagan repealed the fairness doctrine, which paved the way for guys like Limbaugh and Hannity to spew hate the left one - note - charlie rhetoric unchallenged for years, and so on, which led to the Newt Gingrich toxic speakership, T Party, which led to the Freedom caucus and the polarization of left v right politics, which led to Trump and an attempt by the right to install a right wing dictator.

The guy behind Reagan and "neoliberalism" was the economist Milton Friedman. It was the reason Alan Greenspan was chosen to run the fed.

All of this culminated into the crash of 2008. People forget that much of the economic improvements during the 80s were while Paul Volcker was in charge of the Fed, who was appointed by Carter, NOT Reagan.

Iran Contra was proof that Reagan, for all of his likable personality, really was incompetent. Iran Contra was a disaster and mindbogglingly stupid. Reagan should have been indicted and put in jail for it.

Alan Greenspan once remarked in Congress that his belief in libertarian ( neoliberal ) ideas were flawed at least in a key area (that is the essence of what he said, though he spoke in economic jargon.

YouTube

For me I wish there were another Reagan:

When elected President in 1980, Ronald Reagan won 44 states out of 50 with 90.9% of the electoral votes at 489 votes. People liked him but after his first term if people did not like him then his run for second term would have been a bust.

But, even those who were unsure the first time decided for Reagan, Reagan won 49 states out of 50 with 97.58% of the electoral votes at 525 votes out of a possible 538. That is the highest total ever received by any presidential candidate, prior or since.

Reagan's conservative policies had made the country prosper. Americans were happy with the results and were once again proud to be Americans. American flags were once again flying from more homes than ever before.

Yeah, he was popular and his re-election numbers show it.

I don't think that takes into account that younger people (who vote in lower numbers) did not like him and the fact Walter Mondale was a terrible candidate (even worse than Dukakis). Had someone like Gary Hart gotten the democratic nomination that year the map would not have been as red as it was with Mondale.

I don't remember Hart as being all that well liked. Reagan was.

Actually, it was James Carville who coined the phrase “the economy, stupid”. “It’s” was attached later. And it wasn’t “the economy, stupid” that carried Clinton to win ‘92. H W’s very low approval rating (like someone else we know) had a lot to do with it too. ;)

I disagree. The economy was tanking Plus Bush didn't seem to care.

The way you hear people talk about Reagan today you would think he was extremely popular and well liked but when I watch documentaries and interviews from that time period I get the impression his presidency was very divisive and like Trump there was a large portion of the population that disliked him and viewed him as a joke.

His administration was also the most corrupt as 138 people were either indicted or had to resign due to involvement in some scandal and there were numerous ones besides Iran Contra like Wedtek, EPA scandal and the Savings and Loans scandal.

I also get the impression from watching a video of Reagan visiting young marines at camp David that people who were young at the time either did not like him or were indifferent to him. Another thing that disturbed me (as someone that goes to school in NYC) was how scary NYC was during that time period. I've seen countless videos on YouTube of what Manhattan used to be like and it's surreal to me the city was ever that bad.

I just feel there are a lot of people who romanticise Reagan's time in office and look back on it fondly when it was in many ways very divisive and did a lot of damage to our country.

I hope the same thing fondness people have for Reagan never happens with W. Bush or Trump.

You must be watching documentaries that are biased. You can always cherry pick footage to make what ever impression you want. I was in the military during president Reagan's time. The respect for him was stronger than any president since. The military loved Reagan. The people as a whole loved him more than any other president in modern times. He took military action when necessary, and ended the cold war. Yes, the cold war ended after his second term, but he is why it ended.

He won his second term with 49 of the 50 states; 525 to 13 electoral votes. The only state he didn't take was his opponents state.

The left loves rewriting history. It appears many have fallen to such lies.

No chance of it happening for Bush because he wasn't anything close to Reagan's greatness. Very unlikely for Trump, but he may surprise us.

Reagan didn't know the letting the rich raid the treasury and giving the economy a coke bump would result in economic collapse eventually. Bush the dumber did know, so i have little sympathy for him. i hold Tweetycult in even greater contempt, as it is doing the same thing, and i am at a point in my career in which it's going to be even more difficult to recover from another Republican economic collapse.

for angry cultists : yes, i do know that the economy is currently on a coke high, as Tweetycult used the nitrous that should have been saved to address a collapse and now cannot be used when that collapse arrives.

Thank God the FED resisted his demand for more coke.

If voters were educated they would know Trump tried to create another economic catastrophe. It’s been well established that continuing to pump easy money into an already recovered economy led to the 2008 collapse. Trump tried to do the same thing. He’s doing everything Bush did. It’s insane.

When you try to over-stimulate the economy with “coke” it has a heart attack and collapses. Trump doesn’t understand that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If voters were educated they would know Trump tried to create another economic catastrophe. It’s been well established that continuing to pump easy money into an already recovered economy led to the 2008 collapse. Trump tried to do the same thing. He’s doing everything Bush did. It’s insane.

When you try to over-stimulate the economy with “coke” it has a heart attack and collapses. Trump doesn’t understand that.

Trump didn't succeed at the same level (YET!), but that's not to say he won't, and it definitely doesn't discount the fact that he (and the entire Republican party) tried.

Reagan was loved by the GOP but his popularity among the rest went up and down.

The GOP, his wife and Reagan propoganda people were good in protecting him. Even to this day he is loved in the GOP despite being a raging communist if he was in the GOP today. People also forget that he was more and more a puppet during his last 4 years if not before because of his alzheimers.

Sent from my Honor 8X using Tapatalk

what pisses me off is that it's so easy to see the pattern. the same **** happens essentially every time. then when it happens, the same people suffer, and it isn't the people who benefit when they open up the treasury for another raid.

Good times or bad?

From my experience, that is not true.

And in terms of Cell Phones, it took a strong economy with lighthouse/new tech adopters to get it all going. I paid $1,000 for a portable cell phone in 1986. I also paid $.47 min. If it weren't for the strong growing economy, the ability for individuals outside of business to afford $2,000 for a personal computer, or big bucks for cell phones, who knows how long the tech revolution would have taken to get going.

You think investors are going to put up seed money for unproven tech when the economy is in the tank?

These, along with many other national and international sea changes all occurred with the resurgence of the United States brought about by Reagan and his policies.

A) This economy has not been "in the tank" since the great depression and B) since at least WW2 there has always been the means to draw out investment for business efficiency and productivity and hence we do not even have to consider what investors do when the economy is "in the tank". There is no dearth of available investment dollars in the country for business efficiency and productivity tools unless money is being chocked off even more than Paul Voker had to as a means to control Inflation.

The Right is totally bought into is HOW BAD the economy was before Reagan and now before Trump. This economy has been and remains the strongest economy on the planet and that certainly has been the case since the biggest one time boon anybody ever heard off for this country, WW2. It has grown at a faster pace over a longer time horizon than any other economy including China's even including the 2007-2009 financial meltdown.

Carter's Stagflation simply needed Paul Volker, somebody who realized that you could not solve both Inflation and Stagnation at the same time. You needed to solve Inflation first, regardless of how painful that might be. Enter Paul Volker halfway through the Carter Presidency. Once we got Inflation under control we had squeezed borrowing down to almost nothing in that effort and STILL the technologies we all use everyday were continuing their development phases.

Another example, all of these WiFi networks now resident right in every home had its start in WLAN, the Wireless Local Area Network. All of the founding patents come out of NCR...the National Cash Resister Company. All of this gear that sits in our homes, every single teeny tiny little bit of the systems and hardware we take for granted as consumer electronics received their early funding as developments of business efficiency and productivity tools and their funding was based on business market penetration rates.

Everything from the development of PC computer systems that drove business away from the hierarchical business model that sprung from the mainframe were developed as business efficiency and productivity tools. Consumer products rode on the backs of those developments, not the other way around.

The home computer....was going NOWHERE until IBM made its compatibles designed for business use available for home PC's. The home PC was essentially a hobby device without the means to allow a home user to unlock its potential before that. That is what released the power of the PC as a home consumer electronics device.

Reagan for his part, simply "packaged" up necessary economic stimulus packages in sound bite sized bits for consumption by the American public. However it was not some magical revitalization of the American economy which was already a spirited business environment. It was simply the next step after Paul Volker had wrung Inflation out of the economy. Just as Obama eventually reached for too much stimulation in his time pouring money down a rathole, Reagan reached for too much stimulation in his time and Trump has reached for way too much stimulation in his time pouring much more money down a rathole. Frankly, Trump's is by far the worst of the three. Its not even close.

And as a kicker, the pile of junk FAA we have today and the pile of junk FCC I dealt with in my time as an exec all had their genesis in Reagan overzealous deregulation. Trump is engaged in an even more ill conceived and corrupt process for deregulation than Reagan ever heard of. But its not light years different from Reagan's in concept. It is just miles more corrupt and miles less well conceived or intended.

Our biggest economic problem is an unwillingness to and lack of interest in turning what is effectively a 19th century skilled labor force into a 21st century skilled labor force, something we should have been doing for at least the last 25 years. Its not globalization or Immigration or trade deficit or any of the horse crap Trump yammers about constantly. Its insistence that the past will live again.

It's grammar, not spelling.

"Spelling Nazi" is a blanket reference to someone who feels the need to correct someone else's words, rather than commenting on what was written.

With your #2 effort in the bag, I bid you adieu.

"Spelling Nazi" is a blanket reference to someone who feels the need to correct someone else's words, rather than commenting on what was written.

With your #2 effort in the bag, I bid you adieu.

No. Spelling and grammar are two completely different things. :doh

No. Spelling and grammar are two completely different things. :doh

Of course they are. What do you think "blanket reference" means.

Don't be so triggered, your obsession with me requires you to attack every single post, Clam.

I don't remember Hart as being all that well liked. Reagan was.

That's your bad memory. The New York Times Magazine has a refresher:

"Back then, Hart was as close to a lock for the nomination — and likely the presidency — as any challenger of the modern era. According to Gallup, Hart had a double-digit lead over the rest of the potential Democratic field among Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents. In a preview of the general election against the presumed Republican nominee, Vice President George H. W. Bush, Hart was polling over 50 percent among registered voters and beating Bush by 13 points, with only 11 percent saying they were undecided. He would have been very hard to stop."

Republican dirty tricks then created a phony scandal about Hart's sex life.

I understand Reagan had a huge re-election landslide victory but after watching parodies of him and interviews from the 80s where he was mentioned it was clear Reagan was viewed as a right wing extremist. He was also viewed as a joke by some on the left due to his past experience as an actor although he did serve 2 terms as governor of California which was more political experience than Trump ever had.

Made Iran an enemy needlessly? Seriously? Are you not familiar with our relationship with Iran the year prior to Reagan taking office?

I think it's you who is not familiar with the history of our relationship with Iran. We didn't just meddle with their elections we (mostly the British) orchestrated a coupe and put in a puppet for decades. All they did is rebel.

What was their insane unreasonable demand when they took the hostages in the American embassy? They asked that we return the puppet.

The CIA created such a mess around the world. I don't get why people won't admit that our meddling caused more harm than good. Reagan was a neocon through and through. He loved meddling in other nations. Americans today have come to realize how foolish this is. It's time to look back on Reagan and admit how foolish his interventions and meddling were.

Let's not forget that we had a lot to do with creating Saddam Hussein and using him against Iran. Hundreds of thousands of Iranians died. And we turned a blind eye when Hussein used chemical weapons on them.

In terms of foreign policy, Reagan was a total disaster. We're still suffering from his poor choices in the Middle East. Saddam Hussein, Bin Laden all trace back to Reagan and his awful choices.

We helped train the Afghan fighters to fight the Soviets and we encouraged their use of violent Islamic propaganda then it later turned around on us.

ronald-reagan-taliban.jpg

I think it's you who is not familiar with the history of our relationship with Iran. We didn't just meddle with their elections we (mostly the British) orchestrated a coupe and put in a puppet for decades. All they did is rebel.

What was their insane unreasonable demand when they took the hostages in the American embassy? They asked that we return the puppet.

The CIA created such a mess around the world. I don't get why people won't admit that our meddling caused more harm than good. Reagan was a neocon through and through. He loved meddling in other nations. Americans today have come to realize how foolish this is. It's time to look back on Reagan and admit how foolish his interventions and meddling were.

Let's not forget that we had a lot to do with creating Saddam Hussein and using him against Iran. Hundreds of thousands of Iranians died. And we turned a blind eye when Hussein used chemical weapons on them.

In terms of foreign policy, Reagan was a total disaster. We're still suffering from his poor choices in the Middle East. Saddam Hussein, Bin Laden all trace back to Reagan and his awful choices.

We helped train the Afghan fighters to fight the Soviets and we encouraged their use of violent Islamic propaganda then it later turned around on us.

ronald-reagan-taliban.jpg

You place a picture of Reagan, but it was Carter's doing.

Back
Top Bottom