• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Was Robert E. Lee a Traitor to the United States?

Was Robert E. Lee a Traitor to the United States?

• Total voters
Against my better judgement:

I don't think anyone is saying that. You're simply pushing a narrative that has no basis.
being that i grew up in the South and still live in the South i've heard people say that my entire life.

The Constitution supported legal slavery,
Your lame deflections display no bravery.

Wrong as always. If the Constitution protected slavery, it couldn’t have been banned in states in the first place.

being that i grew up in the South and still live in the South i've heard people say that my entire life.
I grew up in Louisiana, have relatives in Texas, Arkansas, and Mississippi, and I've NEVER heard that said by anyone. I call BS.

This thread exemplifies why I don't get in debates/discussions/conversations. They all turn into name calling or get overly politicized.

As to the OP. As a conservative and Southerner I would say that, technically, yes, REL was a traitor, in that he did support a fight against the United States.

Lee wasn't even that great a General. Stonewall Jackson was the heart and soul of the Army of Northern Virginia. Lee had ample opportunities to win at Gettysburg, but rather than follow the advice of Longstreet he tried to take Little Round Top on day 2 (unsuccessfully) and ordered Pickett's charge on day 3 that decimated an entire Corps of his Army, both against the advice of Longstreet.

If he and other members of the Confederacy should have been hanged as one poster stated rather than pardoned is a moot point. You can't go back and rewrite or change history. Additionally, if REL was a traitor, then so are the people who tried to burn down courthouses, police stations, and their whole communities during the Floyd riots. Treachery is as treachery does.

As is my policy, I will not be discussing this thread any further.
Though I still disagree that REL was a traitor, it's refreshing to see someone make the logical extension that BLM empowered traitorous activity against state governments as well.

This kind of thread is why the United States is in such bad shape with respect to hate.

People are still pretending that the slave owners were the good guys.
The OP asked people to explain in detail why REL was or was not a traitor. Some people did so, regarding both positions. Others, mostly those on the Left, just postured and bloviated.

What would make you think that this spectrum of behavior is unique to the US?

It's often alleged that slavery is still covertly practiced in various Muslim countries. Is supporting actual, real-time slavery not a little worse than talking about its legal status in the 1800s?

Wrong as always. If the Constitution protected slavery, it couldn’t have been banned in states in the first place.
Slavery was protected in states where it remained legal.
That's as much a part of history as the Bald Eagle.

Slavery was protected in states where it remained legal.
That's as much a part of history as the Bald Eagle.

The Slaver South committed treason and trashed the Constitution in a desperate attempt to protect slavery.

And no amount of denial can change that.

The Slaver South committed treason and trashed the Constitution in a desperate attempt to protect slavery.

Your fanatic posts carry no water,
Any more than your fantasies of Southern slaughter.

I’ve heard people in the south talk like that as well, when I used to live there.

Your fanatic posts carry no water,
Any more than your fantasies of Southern slaughter.

Southern desperation to continue brutally oppressing Americans should not have been tolerated.

Southern desperation to continue brutally oppressing Americans should not have been tolerated.
You really cannot care about oppression
Since you've supported Lincoln's lie about secession.

You really cannot care about oppression
Since you've supported Lincoln's lie about secession.

The Slaver South proudly committed treason to try and continue buying and selling other human beings.

The Slaver South proudly committed treason to try and continue buying and selling other human beings.

There was no treason, and once again
The North did not fight to avenge Southern sins.

There was no treason, and once again
The North did not fight to avenge Southern sins.

The Slaver South committed treason with great enthusiasm in an effort to protect slavery

The Slaver South committed treason with great enthusiasm in an effort to protect slavery

You wouldn't know treason from a hole in the ground,
Probably the dump where your cereal boxes were found.

I grew up in Louisiana, have relatives in Texas, Arkansas, and Mississippi, and I've NEVER heard that said by anyone. I call BS.
The entire Lost Cause myth is based on the idea that IT IS a noble cause based on Natural Law, gawds will.

Whining because you can’t actually debunk any of what I pointed out remains hilarious.
Your arguments remain moldy junk
Since you don't know how easily you've been debunked.

As usual, nothing but pathetic Lost Cause Drivel from you.
Please don't cease broadcasting your hilarious "fact"
That the Constitution didn't support the Fugitive Slave Act.
There's nothing funnier than Mad Lib outrage
When it lets loose crazy-talk from its mental cage.

Back
Top Bottom