• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Was Jesus Likeable?

I'm not saying there weren't some common teachings between the two.... but there are also areas where Paul said things and went further than Jesus did in the Gospels. So why should I, as a Christian, take those instances on faith? Because he claimed to be on a mission from God?

Naw... not buying it... especially all of the nonsense Paul got on with after Antioch. I think when Barnabas parted company with him, that was the breaking point. After that, it was like he knew Jesus better than Jesus did.

My favorite book in the Bible is the Epistle of James. I can believe that was written by someone who knew and was close to Jesus... and received His core message. It's like a Reader's Digest version of the Gospels - here's the essence of what Jesus wanted you to know.

Well, James and Paul both acknowledged 'works' in the life of a Christian. You disagree?

If you have a major area of disagreement between the two individuals, please cite it. Just your #1 difference.

Well, James and Paul both acknowledged 'works' in the life of a Christian. You disagree?

If you have a major area of disagreement between the two individuals, please cite it. Just your #1 difference.

Paul may have acknowledged them, but he didn't think they were necessary.

Seems to me that James was more insistent on the subject - that it was necessary for a good Christian to be pro-active. Paul's version of Christianity seems to be more "reactive" - just have faith, be a willing vessel, and God will guide you.

James' version rings more true to me. There's no "outs" with James. If you live a good life and do good things, it's because of who you are, not what you are. Seems to me that that was what God intended. With Paul, Christians have the out in saying "I was simply obeying God's word"... to me, that's the road to hypocrisy. That's the attitude of the Pharisee... "I can do no wrong for I am Holier than thou..."

They don't. And neither do I. Instead, schools today defend illicit gay sex which God does not support.

Why wouldnt they stand up for people that are born that way? They dont discuss gay sex, they discuss acceptance and inclusion of gay people. The only place 'anal' sex would come up would be in senior high health class/sex ed and it would be for ALL students since straight couples do it too. (Not me, that's a 'no fly zone,' but I dont care what others do.)

But again, your posts just wallow in gay sex, you cant stop focusing on it. You even believe that schools do :rolleyes:

But again, your posts just wallow in gay sex, you cant stop focusing on it. You even believe that schools do :rolleyes:
That's nonsense. I discuss lots of different subjects. And I very seldom bring up gay sex on my own. The vast majority of the time I'm responding to your unbiblical beliefs on the subject.

Tell you what? You quit talking about gay sex (same-sex sex by whatever term you wish to use), and unless there's someone else who prompts me, I will too.

Paul may have acknowledged them, but he didn't think they were necessary.

Seems to me that James was more insistent on the subject - that it was necessary for a good Christian to be pro-active. Paul's version of Christianity seems to be more "reactive" - just have faith, be a willing vessel, and God will guide you.

Here's what Paul said in a very well-known scripture:

Ephesians 2:8-10 - "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God — not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."

Now James talked about the importance of good works also. What's instructive is that he specifically mentions Abraham as an example. From James 2:21 - "Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar?" Here, James is referring to the events of Genesis chapter 22. But notice what happened seven chapters earlier in Genesis 15:6 - "Abram believed the Lord, and he credited it to him as righteousness." Faith came first, and because Abraham believed in God, he did the "works" seen seven chapters later, in Genesis 22:

One article puts it this way (I recommend you read the full article in the link below):

"Initial saving faith is the precursor to works. Abraham was not saved (justified righteous) by performing works, he was performing works of a Godly nature because he first was saved and regenerated by faith. Works of a Godly nature are the result of our regeneration and salvation, not the cause of it. Faith by grace is the antecedent of works. It chronologically occurs first. Once the Holy Spirit indwells a believer at the point of salvation, He starts the process of Progressive Sanctification, and one of the effects of the indwelling Holy Spirit (Titus 3:5-7) is that of causing, or compelling a person, by a change of heart and mind and with the believer’s cooperation, to perform works of a Godly nature. James’ argument addresses that time period of a person’s life, following true salvation and regeneration, when good works are supposed to be in evidence. He is saying, “Now that you claim to be saved, we should be seeing some good works out of you. However, if these good works are not apparent, then your initial faith was probably not genuine, and you were never, either in the eyes of God, nor in the eyes of man, justified righteous.” Another way to illustrate this is to consider the thief on the cross next to Jesus – the one who stated, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.” Then Jesus responded by saying, “I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise” (Luke 23:42-43). It was at this particular moment that the repentant thief received his salvation, and was justified righteous in the eyes of God. This particular moment would also coincide with Genesis 15:6, when Abraham believed God and it was credited (imputed to his account) as righteousness, and would also coincide with what Paul stated in Ephesians 2:8-9. Note that there is no evidence that the thief had performed any good works in his life. To the contrary, his works were more of a criminal nature than a Godly nature. That was the very reason he was being crucified. Even as he initially hung from his cross, he heaped insults on the Lord (Mark 15:32). But then the sky darkened, his pain and suffering magnified, and the words Jesus spoke on the cross hit their appointed target, and the thief had a change of heart and believed on the Lord. At that point, the thief received his salvation and justification."

"Now, if by some means the thief could have come down from the cross, prior to death, and continued on with his life, then eventually his saving faith would have produced good works (corresponding to Abraham in Genesis 22 and James chapter 2). There is a progression whereby salvation leads to good works. In the eyes of God, Abraham was genuinely justified righteous in Genesis 15:6. Because his faith was genuine, it produced his works in Genesis 22, whereby he was seen as being justified righteous in the eyes of men. James and Paul, though they approach the issue of justification from two different points in time and two different perspectives (the perspective of God and the perspective of man), nevertheless are in total agreement with each other."

https://righterreport.com/2011/12/1...-how-believers-are-declared-righteous-by-god/

But again, your posts just wallow in gay sex, you cant stop focusing on it.
lol...someone's obsessing about gay sex alright and it ain't LM...

Here's what Paul said in a very well-known scripture:

Ephesians 2:8-10 - "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God — not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."

Now James talked about the importance of good works also. What's instructive is that he specifically mentions Abraham as an example. From James 2:21 - "Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar?" Here, James is referring to the events of Genesis chapter 22. But notice what happened seven chapters earlier in Genesis 15:6 - "Abram believed the Lord, and he credited it to him as righteousness." Faith came first, and because Abraham believed in God, he did the "works" seen seven chapters later, in Genesis 22:

One article puts it this way (I recommend you read the full article in the link below):

"Initial saving faith is the precursor to works. Abraham was not saved (justified righteous) by performing works, he was performing works of a Godly nature because he first was saved and regenerated by faith. Works of a Godly nature are the result of our regeneration and salvation, not the cause of it. Faith by grace is the antecedent of works. It chronologically occurs first. Once the Holy Spirit indwells a believer at the point of salvation, He starts the process of Progressive Sanctification, and one of the effects of the indwelling Holy Spirit (Titus 3:5-7) is that of causing, or compelling a person, by a change of heart and mind and with the believer’s cooperation, to perform works of a Godly nature. James’ argument addresses that time period of a person’s life, following true salvation and regeneration, when good works are supposed to be in evidence. He is saying, “Now that you claim to be saved, we should be seeing some good works out of you. However, if these good works are not apparent, then your initial faith was probably not genuine, and you were never, either in the eyes of God, nor in the eyes of man, justified righteous.” Another way to illustrate this is to consider the thief on the cross next to Jesus – the one who stated, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.” Then Jesus responded by saying, “I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise” (Luke 23:42-43). It was at this particular moment that the repentant thief received his salvation, and was justified righteous in the eyes of God. This particular moment would also coincide with Genesis 15:6, when Abraham believed God and it was credited (imputed to his account) as righteousness, and would also coincide with what Paul stated in Ephesians 2:8-9. Note that there is no evidence that the thief had performed any good works in his life. To the contrary, his works were more of a criminal nature than a Godly nature. That was the very reason he was being crucified. Even as he initially hung from his cross, he heaped insults on the Lord (Mark 15:32). But then the sky darkened, his pain and suffering magnified, and the words Jesus spoke on the cross hit their appointed target, and the thief had a change of heart and believed on the Lord. At that point, the thief received his salvation and justification.

Now, if by some means the thief could have come down from the cross, prior to death, and continued on with his life, then eventually his saving faith would have produced good works (corresponding to Abraham in Genesis 22 and James chapter 2). There is a progression whereby salvation leads to good works. In the eyes of God, Abraham was genuinely justified righteous in Genesis 15:6. Because his faith was genuine, it produced his works in Genesis 22, whereby he was seen as being justified righteous in the eyes of men. James and Paul, though they approach the issue of justification from two different points in time and two different perspectives (the perspective of God and the perspective of man), nevertheless are in total agreement with each other."

https://righterreport.com/2011/12/1...-how-believers-are-declared-righteous-by-god/

James brings up a good point about Abraham.... and I'll tie it in with Ephesians 2:10.... if, as Paul stated, Abraham's hand was guided in advance, and God was aware of the strength of Abraham's faith, then what need was there to test him in the first place?

God's test - and Abraham's action - only make sense if it is Abraham himself who decides whether or not to obey God's command, and not God preparing him in advance, as Paul would have it.

James brings up a good point about Abraham.... and I'll tie it in with Ephesians 2:10.... if, as Paul stated, Abraham's hand was guided in advance, and God was aware of the strength of Abraham's faith, then what need was there to test him in the first place?

People waver all the time. And sacrificing one's son was a monumental test of Abraham's faith. God can guide a person into a situation, but the individual is who makes the final decision. Like God said in Joshua 24:15 - "Choose this day whom you will serve."
God's test - and Abraham's action - only make sense if it is Abraham himself who decides whether or not to obey God's command, and not God preparing him in advance, as Paul would have it.

I agree based on what I wrote above.

Remember, no one SINCERELY preaches Jesus Christ unless they FIRST BELIEVE. Belief/faith comes first, sincere works follow. So I see Paul and James in agreement on that.

That's nonsense. I discuss lots of different subjects. And I very seldom bring up gay sex on my own. The vast majority of the time I'm responding to your unbiblical beliefs on the subject.

Tell you what? You quit talking about gay sex (same-sex sex by whatever term you wish to use), and unless there's someone else who prompts me, I will too.

LMAO in religious threads and anything on personal relationships, all you focus on is butt sex...that's where your mind just wallows. This forum is probably where you are able to express any of that interest at all. It's not fooling anyone...attracted or disgusted...that's where your mind goes.

And I speak about homosexuality and fornication because they are 2 very good examples of the bullshit falsely written into the Bible as sins...that's why I continue to share God's Word and challenge you to show where either of those 2 things breaks His Word.

And because you cannot...you continue to deny God's Word! Rather than admit you're wrong, you deny God's Word. It's amazing. I can only imagine how disappointed God is with that.

lol...someone's obsessing about gay sex alright and it ain't LM...

Even if I was...*I* see nothing wrong with it 😁

People waver all the time. And sacrificing one's son was a monumental test of Abraham's faith. God can guide a person into a situation, but the individual is who makes the final decision. Like God said in Joshua 24:15 - "Choose this day whom you will serve."

I agree based on what I wrote above.

Remember, no one SINCERELY preaches Jesus Christ unless they FIRST BELIEVE. Belief/faith comes first, sincere works follow. So I see Paul and James in agreement on that.

I don't know what else to tell you, LM.... Paul speaks at me; James speaks to me.... clearly and concisely. He's like the Gettysburg Address Lincoln of the Bible.... simple truths and just be said, plainly, simply, and to the point. There's no need to ramble on and on ad infinitum, the way Paul does.

I don't know what else to tell you, LM.... Paul speaks at me; James speaks to me.... clearly and concisely. He's like the Gettysburg Address Lincoln of the Bible.... simple truths and just be said, plainly, simply, and to the point. There's no need to ramble on and on ad infinitum, the way Paul does.
That's cool. But just a word - and that is that "works" are not a part of the salvation equation. Jesus' atonement at Calvary and God's grace through faith in Jesus / God starts it all.

Liberals believe in Socrates.
Yet, there isn't anybody, either liberal or conservative, whose faith/ideology/world view would change in one bit if it was shown that Socrates did not exist.

Then why don't you go away and let these people live their own lives?

Posting on this forum is not preventing anyone from living their own lives. And you could ask yourself the same question.

Back
Top Bottom