• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#690]McCarthy falls short in first vote for House speaker

Are we witnessing the creation of a 3rd party?

What a disconnect. The Dems have run off the cliff with the lemmings.
....says a man that gets his news from fact free "alternative sources" aka alternative reality...

We all note that you never (or rarely) actually cite any of these news sources as you would be excoriated for the smut you read. The evidence is strong of your disconnectedness.

Satire, but topic related..... no sure if this was thought of already but,
I feel like we are being trolled.... today on a YouTube short there was a "On todays date January 6th" they showed a couple of significant events.....then realized..

If the GOP wants to change the narrative of Jan 6th, why not stage something and troll the democrats and the media. Make like the GOP is in disarray and unable to come to a consensus. Then, low and behold on January 6th the anniversary of the capitol riot. The GOP comes together, showing unity and the silliness of the media and democrats that took the bait.

3 days and 11 votes later really.. or was it staged....... Tomorrow is the Jan 6th.... what a way to "change" things....

Tin foil hat on... but also place marker "I told you so"

How can American democracy survive this? And by this I don't mean the speaker fiasco, I mean a 2-party democracy where one of the parties has a) been taken over by anti-democratic forces and no longer cares about free elections, and b) is busy imploding. The current situation is just a reflection of a bigger problem.

The stalemate continued despite McCarthy making fresh concessions during late-hour negotiations Wednesday to the 20 GOP lawmakers opposing him, according to four people familiar with the talks who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss private deliberations.

In a major allowance to the hard-right Republicans, McCarthy offered to lower from five to one the number of members required to sponsor a resolution to force a vote on ousting the speaker — a change that the California Republican had previously said he would not accept.

McCarthy also expressed a willingness to place more members of the staunchly conservative House Freedom Caucus on the Rules Committee, which debates legislation before it is moved to the floor. And he relented on allowing floor votes to institute term limits on members and to enact specific border policy legislation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/01/05/house-speaker-vote-deal-mccarthy/

If the GOP lets these changes go through in order to elect McCarthy (or Scalise or.....) the next two years will be much more chaotic than we thought it would be.

Chris Stewart (R-Utah) confirmed to MSNBC that there is a breaking point at which he and his fellow McCarthy backers could bolt, saying, “Honestly, there’s many of us who feel like we’re very, very close to that at this point.”

Stewart added: “If you go beyond that, you really would reach a point where … we’re not going to be ruled by them. And I think we’re nearing that threshold now, where two things: There’s only so much you can ask for, and I think we’ve reached that. And then the second thing is, if you go beyond that, you’re going to begin to lose the support of the other 200. Kevin, I know, is aware of that, and I think he’s careful not to go beyond that line.”

So, things are reaching the point where McCarthy's concessions will cause those voting for McCarthy to vote against him or just vote present. McCarthy's dream is lost if this occurs.

Are we witnessing the creation of a 3rd party?
Part of me says no - The MAGAs have to realize they'd be hamstrung politically if they veered away from the GOP. Logically it serves them better to at least exist as an annoying gnat buzzing around the elephant, occasionally irritating enough to warrant attention.

But then, logic has never been MAGA's strong suit.

I hope you're right, but don't underestimate him. It's going to take all our power to defeat him if he's the nominee in 2024, regardless of our own nominee.
Hopefully the left has purged underestimation from our minds. But than I keep hearing that the Florida man is done. Also heard it a hundred times before, with disastrous results.
I don't think DeSantis would play in most states, but it's up to D's & I's to take him seriously.

Satire, but topic related..... no sure if this was thought of already but,
I feel like we are being trolled.... today on a YouTube short there was a "On todays date January 6th" they showed a couple of significant events.....then realized..

If the GOP wants to change the narrative of Jan 6th, why not stage something and troll the democrats and the media. Make like the GOP is in disarray and unable to come to a consensus. Then, low and behold on January 6th the anniversary of the capitol riot. The GOP comes together, showing unity and the silliness of the media and democrats that took the bait.

3 days and 11 votes later really.. or was it staged....... Tomorrow is the Jan 6th.... what a way to "change" things....

Tin foil hat on... but also place marker "I told you so"

Just how is it that you ‘troll the democrats and the media” by ”staging” a show of weakness wherein your party is held hostage by a couple of noisy crackpots leading a small army of one term congress member and people who have never even taken the oath yet?

I had to read you post three times before I figured out what you were trying to say…….. tin foil hat indeed!

The stalemate continued despite McCarthy making fresh concessions during late-hour negotiations Wednesday to the 20 GOP lawmakers opposing him, according to four people familiar with the talks who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss private deliberations.

In a major allowance to the hard-right Republicans, McCarthy offered to lower from five to one the number of members required to sponsor a resolution to force a vote on ousting the speaker — a change that the California Republican had previously said he would not accept.

McCarthy also expressed a willingness to place more members of the staunchly conservative House Freedom Caucus on the Rules Committee, which debates legislation before it is moved to the floor. And he relented on allowing floor votes to institute term limits on members and to enact specific border policy legislation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/01/05/house-speaker-vote-deal-mccarthy/

If the GOP lets these changes go through in order to elect McCarthy (or Scalise or.....) the next two years will be much more chaotic than we thought it would be.

That’s certainly true. With a motion to vacate the chair in the hands of one member, the Speaker is effectively leashed to these cranks.

Back
Top Bottom