• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

(W#4255)The trial of Kyle Rittenhouse for the intentional first degree homicide of 2, injuring of 1

ASHES

An Uncertain Person
Dungeon Master
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Jury selection begins today in the trial of Kyle Rittenhouse on 6 counts, including 2 of intentional first degree homicide. The judge wants to complete jury selection in one day. From a potential jury pool of 150, they need 20.

Charges Rittenhouse faces:
  • first-degree reckless homicide against Joseph Rosenbaum
  • first-degree recklessly endangering safety against Richard McGinnis (a reporter who interviewed Rittenhouse before the shooting)
  • first-degree intentional homicide against Anthony Huber
  • attempted first-degree intentional homicide against Gaige Grosskreutz
  • first-degree recklessly endangering safety against an unknown male victim
  • possession of a dangerous weapon by a person under 18 (the only misdemeanor charge, the others are felonies

Jury selection begins today in the trial of Kyle Rittenhouse on 6 counts, including 2 of intentional first degree homicide. The judge wants to complete jury selection in one day. From a potential jury pool of 150, they need 20.

Charges Rittenhouse faces:
  • first-degree reckless homicide against Joseph Rosenbaum
  • first-degree recklessly endangering safety against Richard McGinnis (a reporter who interviewed Rittenhouse before the shooting)
  • first-degree intentional homicide against Anthony Huber
  • attempted first-degree intentional homicide against Gaige Grosskreutz
  • first-degree recklessly endangering safety against an unknown male victim
  • possession of a dangerous weapon by a person under 18 (the only misdemeanor charge, the others are felonies
The only charge that he might actually be guilty of is that last one, possession of a dangerous weapon by a person under 18.

The only charge that he might actually be guilty of is that last one, possession of a dangerous weapon by a person under 18.

A child driving across state lines with a rifle in order to murder unarmed people in the street then having people like you praise him is both the most disgusting and most American thing ever.

The little **** went out looking for a chance to get to kill someone and he makes responsible gun owners look bad. He's going to fry.

A child driving across state lines with a rifle in order to murder unarmed people in the street then having people like you praise him is both the most disgusting and most American thing ever.

The little **** went out looking for a chance to get to kill someone and he makes responsible gun owners look bad. He's going to fry.
He didn't drive across state lines with a rifle. What else could you be wrong about?

No way he's going to get a fair trial. I've been on two juries in my life, and I would never, ever put my life in the hands of a jury.
You think he should have had a bench trial?

All he needs is one juror who agrees with the judge.

Court is set to start at 9am Central time, 10 Eastern.

There might be convictions in the charges of reckless endangerment, but I’m not going to die even on that hill. There’s ambiguity in the circumstances, and that erases all certainty of convictions on the felony charges. Plus, the victims were assholes. And even though being an asshole isn’t an acceptable reason to be shot and killed, being an asshole is definitely unsympathetic in the eyes of a jury.

The way I’ve seen this is that this is a case of everybody playing stupid games and winning stupid prizes. Rittenhouse brought a loaded boom stick that shoots many rounds per second* to a site of protests known to get tumultuous. It’s no different than bringing a loaded weapon into a bar in which you knew full well that a bar fight was ongoing. Stupid games. Stupid prizes.

So I think he should be convicted on reckless endangerment, but again, due to the circumstances, I really just don’t see it happening unless the prosecution is particularly amazing.

*Gun nuts: buzz off. I don’t care what the proper name of the gun is.

Last edited:
Is this trial going to be aired live?

I just saw a video of him saying with his rifle in his arms, I'm standing here to protect this business behind me which is why I have a firearm.
And yet he's from out of state. Is he a vigilante? He could have just as easily brought a baseball bat but instead he brought a firearm, why? That almost screams his willingness to use it.

I also think this judge has stepped over his legal lines by saying the people he shot cannot be referred to as victims but they can be referred to as looters or rioters. Sounds to me like the judge is not impartial.

Live from the courthouse, not in session yet.

Court seal.
Screenshot_20211101-101054.png

About to start, audio is live.

Figuring out some last minute technical issues.
Screenshot_20211101-101206.png

They're playing jeopardy while they wait for audio issues to be resolved.

This isn't true. BUT, let's supposes it was. Let's supposed that's EXACTLY his intent.

so what? WANTING to kill someone isn't illegal by itself. You have to actually do it illegally, without a qualified measure of self defense.

His intent could have been anything, but as the facts are, it's self defense, and there's nothing you can do about that....except, you know, maybe tell your movement not to set things on fire or chase down armed people....notably, to the white people in your movement. Your african americans know not to act dumb, idk why all your white people feel like burning dumpsters and endangering everyone in every city block and shit.

African americans: Smarter than white liberals, by far.

I also think this judge has stepped over his legal lines by saying the people he shot cannot be referred to as victims but they can be referred to as looters or rioters. Sounds to me like the judge is not impartial.

Rosenbaum should be referred to as a violent criminal who repeatedly molested young boys, because that's what he is.

A defendant who claims self-defense to a charge of first-degree intentional homicide may use evidence of a victim's violent character and past acts of violence to show a satisfactory factual basis that he or she actually believed he or she was in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm and actually believed that the force used was necessary to defend himself or herself, even if both beliefs were unreasonable. State v. Head, 2002 WI 99, 255 Wis. 2d 194, 648 N.W.2d 413, 99-3071.

Now in session.

False alarm. Going to bring 7 more jurors to the courtroom because they have an extra pew, back to jeopardy for now.

He's no Alex Trebek.

Last edited:
Now we're in business. Probably.

I don't know when I got mixed up, but Rittenhouse actually only faces one count of 1st degree intentional homicide, in the case of Huber. For Rosenbaum, it is 1st degree reckless homicide.

This is a problem for the prosecutor, because if you watch the video, Huber is seen pulling on the barrel of the rifle when he is shot so the fired shot could easily have been an accidental discharge prompted by the tug of war for the firearm. No way is that first degree intentional homicide.

Back
Top Bottom