• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:40] who is best president ever?

who is best president ever?

• G. Washington

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • FDR

Votes: 19 39.6%
  • JF Kennedy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donald Trump

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Ronald Reagan

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • A. Lincoln

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • can't decide between 4 and/or 5 and/or 6-or other

Votes: 4 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are too many great presidents to really single out the best.

But, there are presidents who were a perfect fit for the time that they served.

1. Washington: He had the instincts that all great Generals had. His cat & mouse strategy of "fight and flee' against the British enabled the rag tag army to hold on long enough for the French assistance to arrive. As president, he formed the "cabinet of advisers" that is still being used today. He patiently stood clear of the congress and senate (for the most part) while they were going loggerheads over bills. Washington knew that they would eventually come up with something worthwhile and only vetoed two bills during his time in office.

2. Lincoln: A mixed bag of myths and fact. His view on black people wasn't exactly pretty, but at the same time, he hated slavery. He slowly evolved with his views on the intelligence of black people, but I think he was still of the mindset that blacks couldn't take care of themselves. I also think that there was no better man at the time for the office when it came to saving the union. He fired five "do nothing generals" before appointing Meade who finally took the Northern Army on the offensive. What Lincoln saw in General Meade and General Grant went against the grain, but you can't argue the results. His "Proclamation Of Emancipation" speech is still one of the most important in American history, but not for the reason a lot of people believe today. Britain and France were tinkering on the idea of helping the confederates to expand western their influences, and Lincoln knew this. Lincoln knew that the citizens of France and Britain were against slavery and endless wars. The "Declaration Of Proclamation" gave the war a focal point of ending slavery which the citizens of Britain and France were is support of.

3. FDR: OK....he was a big spender and I won't argue that point. But, he also initiated some of the best social safety nets ever for the American citizens. He was the working man's pit bull. His list of accomplishments will never be duplicated IMO.

4. Reagan: He was playing chess while the Soviets were playing checkers. His star wars (SDI) program was one of the greatest bluffs ever in geopolitical history and faked the Soviet Union into spending it's way into a massive debt. As a politician, he was polite and had a good sense of humor.
People might not have liked all of his policies, but they liked the man. Reagan swept 49 states in 1984, and I don't see this happening again any time soon

Just my opinion......your mileage may vary.

General Washington will always be the greatest President because all the others stem off of what he developed as a
wholly new way to govern that mankind had not witnessed before.

George Washington is the obvious number 1.
James Monroe with the Louisiana Purchase and the Monroe Doctrine is easily number 2.
Lincoln could be number 1 but his assassination kept him from being able to reunite the country. He gets number 3.
Reagan brought back the economy after the Carter Disaster. He brought down the Berlin Wall and ended the USSR. He gets number 4.
Trump has orchestrated the greatest economy ever, has put the reins on China, Mexico, and Canada as trading partners. He has destroyed ISIS. He has accomplished a lot especially considering the Democrats are doing everything they can to sabotage him. He gets number 5.

After this it gets dicey. Andrew Johnson pulled off the Alaska Purchase. His poor performance elsewhere keeps him off the list. FDR blundered us into WWII and enabled Peale Harbor. That keeps him off the list. Kennedy blundered us into Vietnam and blotched the Bay of Pigs. That keeps him off the list.

Washington was a slave holder....The only reason Lincoln freed the slaves was to get the Northern states to continue to back the civil war. Other wise he could care less about southern slavery one way or the other.

Washington was a slave holder....The only reason Lincoln freed the slaves was to get the Northern states to continue to back the civil war. Other wise he could care less about southern slavery one way or the other.

that is 100% FALSE!

Lincoln wanted an end to slavery whereas many in the NORTH didn't care about the slaves and certainly didn't want to die for that cause. I have read many books on Lincoln and nowhere have I heard what you say here..

fake "news"

. Reagan swept 49 states in 1984, and I don't see this happening again any time soon

I think Trump will come close in 2020, may even exceed?

once people wake up to the fact cnn and co are giving us fake news and never admitting to such... I mean, dumb people will continue to drink the Kool aid but the smarter ones will vote for Trump

if it is Biden v Trump.. omg!

Trump should win 100 million to zero

even if not, no insurance policy needed (laugh)

Fact?????? Your facts??? Alternative facts???? Facts pulled from other dimension.....or from a donkeys ass????

The "Fact" is that President Trump has accomplished all of that and more!!!!

Nope. It's all delusional thinking. He has taken credit for much he didn't do.

Objective measure of his policy results easily puts him as the best modern day president, and 2nd or 3rd of all time.

It's FDR who doesn't belong on this list. His policies are why the depression lasted 12 years instead of 3 or 4 years like it did for most of the rest of the world.

Nope. The incompetence. The hate he breeds. The corruption. All of this makes him one of if not the worse we've ever had.

Hardly. Trump is working to take back America from endless wars, and multinational companies trying to turn the American workforce into peasants.

Laughable.

There are too many great presidents to really single out the best.

But, there are presidents who were a perfect fit for the time that they served.

1. Washington: He had the instincts that all great Generals had. His cat & mouse strategy of "fight and flee' against the British enabled the rag tag army to hold on long enough for the French assistance to arrive. As president, he formed the "cabinet of advisers" that is still being used today. He patiently stood clear of the congress and senate (for the most part) while they were going loggerheads over bills. Washington knew that they would eventually come up with something worthwhile and only vetoed two bills during his time in office.

2. Lincoln: A mixed bag of myths and fact. His view on black people wasn't exactly pretty, but at the same time, he hated slavery. He slowly evolved with his views on the intelligence of black people, but I think he was still of the mindset that blacks couldn't take care of themselves. I also think that there was no better man at the time for the office when it came to saving the union. He fired five "do nothing generals" before appointing Meade who finally took the Northern Army on the offensive. What Lincoln saw in General Meade and General Grant went against the grain, but you can't argue the results. His "Proclamation Of Emancipation" speech is still one of the most important in American history, but not for the reason a lot of people believe today. Britain and France were tinkering on the idea of helping the confederates to expand western their influences, and Lincoln knew this. Lincoln knew that the citizens of France and Britain were against slavery and endless wars. The "Declaration Of Proclamation" gave the war a focal point of ending slavery which the citizens of Britain and France were is support of.

3. FDR: OK....he was a big spender and I won't argue that point. But, he also initiated some of the best social safety nets ever for the American citizens. He was the working man's pit bull. His list of accomplishments will never be duplicated IMO.

4. Reagan: He was playing chess while the Soviets were playing checkers. His star wars (SDI) program was one of the greatest bluffs ever in geopolitical history and faked the Soviet Union into spending it's way into a massive debt. As a politician, he was polite and had a good sense of humor.
People might not have liked all of his policies, but they liked the man. Reagan swept 49 states in 1984, and I don't see this happening again any time soon

I agree with you (for once) on a couple of your choices, namely Washington and Lincoln. I would choose either Washington, Adams, Franklin, Jefferson or Madison for being, not only founding fathers, but for their brilliance, even genius, and for their foresight. Many of the 39 signers of the Constitution were under the age of 40 at the time. Imagine that these men had to look into the future hundreds of years and figure how to make the same Constitution work in 2019 as it had in 1787. That's pretty amazing.

But my choice for the #1 spot goes to Abraham Lincoln. And in my opinion, the Gettysburg Address is the most profound document I've ever read. I've been to Gettysburg, I felt the ghosts of those men that died there. I've been to Ford's theater in D.C. and saw the bed he was laid on after being assassinated. The bed is behind a glass but the original bedding is on that small bed, his blood stains remain on the pillow. Abe Lincoln had a complex life. After his assassination, his wife Mary Todd was forcibly put in an insane asylum by her son Robert in 1875. Modern medicine history scholars believe she wasn't insane at all, but suffered from pernicious anemia or diabetes.

A posthumous attempt at stealing the body of Abraham Lincoln numerous times actually shaped what would later become the Secret Service. His body was moved 17 times. Good story here about all of that. I could just go on forever about Lincoln, but I've said too much already. bye.

The History Reader - A History Blog from St. Martins Press

lincoln_1-300x169.jpg

who is best president ever?

1 George Washington

2 Abraham Lincoln

3 Donald Trump

4 JF Kennedy

5 FDR

6 can't decide between 2 and 3

7 other

Trump may go down as the most unique........being the only impeached president to get a 2nd term.

But great........You gotta be kidding me. :shock:

How is it possible that Trump has almost as many votes as Washington??

Because Trump cultists are real.

Even better, President Trump is real. I am aware that many harken to the days of Psalmist similar to President Obama. President Trump speaks clearly, warts and all! I already have a Bible, I don't need a parable leader. I need a leader for this world!
Regards,
CP

He may not be the best, but Trump is pretty good.

The UN reports that quality of life has increased dramatically in Israel, but not here under Trump. His legacy will be tied in with that, while also not delivering a single major campaign promise to his base.

oh great... the one who made government HUGE

although Johnson made it even bigger. Notice Johnson is not on list.

I tend to think Trump is the best yet.. lowest unemployment for minorities EvER

It will take much more than the state of the economy to make a great president. The fact is: the economy in large measure has nothing to do with what a sitting president does.
We see the North Koreans have made a fool of Trump. He gave them all that previous presidents had wisely refused to give and Trump in return got nothing. World leaders have laughed behind his back. That is not good. Europeans are looking at China as a major trading partner and is gradually leaving the US behind.

economy taking off.. wages rise probably more than ever

The economy took off early 2010 and has been soaring ever since. Trump got lucky. True, wages have risen for some but definitely not for all.

ISIS all but gone.

All but gone means nothing.

ISIS is down but not out by any means. What Trump did in Syria has allowed many imprisoned ISIS terrorists to go to Europe and perhaps into the US itself.

head of ISIS DEAD. Does not mean anything. Others will take the guy's place.

Right to Try

USMCA (which our low-approval-rate Congress has yet to pass bc it would be another win for Trump.. )

Careful of USMCA. Some say it is NAFTA II in disguise.

The UN reports that quality of life has increased dramatically in Israel, but not here under Trump. His legacy will be tied in with that, while also not delivering a single major campaign promise to his base.

I believe one of Trump's biggest promises was the wall-that has been a failure so far but not one I have a rat's ass about. He promised good judges and for the most part, he has hit that one out of the park

Trump is the 46th best president for damn sure.

Just look at all that winning.

FAIL.jpg

Trump is the 46th best president for damn sure.

Just look at all that winning.

View attachment 67270883

BTW I said the same thing about W and Obama:
no one who takes rating presidents seriously will ever state that a rating has any validity during the time the president is in office or shortly after he leaves

since his term is not near over, your silly report card really has not much value. some of those "Promises" I don't recall as being truthful

I believe one of Trump's biggest promises was the wall-that has been a failure so far but not one I have a rat's ass about. He promised good judges and for the most part, he has hit that one out of the park

'Good judges' have lowered the unemployment rate in Ohio by what percentage point? Eliminated the opiate epidemic in Ohio by what percentage point?

Yes, this is what we have to show after 3 years of Trump:

-The stock market is doing well
- The rich got another tax break
- The Israeli lobby is on a winning streak

He's the President of the 2%. That's one percent higher than Obama!

'Good judges' have lowered the unemployment rate in Ohio by what percentage point? Eliminated the opiate epidemic in Ohio by what percentage point?

Yes, this is what we have to show after 3 years of Trump:

-The stock market is doing well
- The rich got another tax break
- The Israeli lobby is on a winning streak

He's the President of the 2%. That's one percent higher than Obama!

I am glad that I got a tax break after the Obama nonsense. The employment rate is the best in my lifetime (60)/ The rate of black unemployment is the lowest in modern history.

I am glad that I got a tax break after the Obama nonsense. The employment rate is the best in my lifetime (60)/ The rate of black unemployment is the lowest in modern history.

chart

I doubt that its the lowest in your lifetime. Its certainly lower than during much of the 2000s, and its still higher than the national average. Do you think black Ohioans are going to vote for him over Biden? I don't.

Cleveland-Elyria, Ohio Metropolitan Unemployment Rate and Total Unemployed | Department of Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom