• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#389: 420, 790]Texas elementary school reports 'active shooter' on campus

Oh, you want seriousness. You mean like your proposal to confiscate 400 million guns from private citizens by force in total violation of the highest law in the land?

The right to own assault rifles is not the highest law in the land.

If everyone gave up their guns, gun deaths would reduce. But, you'll never, not even to save 20 kids, so it's moot, isn't it?
At this point, in the US at least, that’s a little bit like suggesting all the countries should just give up their nukes. Like it would be nice, but it’s not going to happen.

There is plenty of legislation we can actually get passed (if the GOP doesn’t block it) that we know reduces gun violence.

Do people have the choice to make and buy guns?
Well I'd be fine with advocating mandatory gun ownership - so ideally, no. People would be legally required to own and learn to use a gun whether they like it or not. :D

Now as for how you're going to get the multi-billion dollar corporate gun industries, or nations such as China which have over 5X the population of the US to stop dealing in guns, you tell me.

Once again, our laws and their level of enforcement were unable to prevent this tragedy. Using data from 2020, we experience, on average, one death by gunshot every 12 minutes in the United States of America. 45,000 deaths by gunshot in 2020.

More than half are suicides.

This is incoherent. Try again.
In the simplest terms, agency means free will and control within your circumstances.

Oh the great “America, Love it or Leave It,” reply, exhibit A in the display of our storied anti-intellectualism. In the category of taking your ball and going home or holding your breath to spite someone who scores in an argument. But of course, obviously, without question we have nothing to learn from countries who gave us our language, culture and politics.

Haven’t got that one in a while.
Not so difficult. This is a country of laws. If you don't like the laws change them. Proposing solutions that will not make any difference is your manta. Proposing non solutions reeks of stupidity.

Salvadore Ramos, 18 is the name of the killer.

The stupid, irresponsible media didn't call him a "white Hispanic" like they did with George Zimmerman, but again, I digress.
Ah the victimhood of you people...maybe 18 kids dead and you are worried what the media called the kid.

Nailed it!

Eventually we are going to have a different generation in power, including the Supreme Court. And if we can strip rights from women that have existed for half a century there is no reason why we can't reinterpret the Second Amendment as well.
But if we can stop those people from voting, business as usual..... probably off topic.

what do you think can be done? What solution do you propose that would be constitutional?
Maybe we can pass legislation to ban the sale and manufacture of all guns in the US. The constitution says we have the right to keep and bear arms,
nothing about having to make or sell them. Of course we already have enough to last for several generations if we stopped selling them today.

In the simplest terms, agency means free will and control within your circumstances.
How is your question in any way a coherent response to my post?

Unfortunately, once all of the schools are "hardened" against shooters it won't stop, they will just shift to softer targets, like movie theaters, shopping malls,
grocery stores and anyplace people congregate in numbers.
No doubt.

Just have any of the deplorables advocating gun control lined up in front of a firing squad.

Then once the freaks are out of the way, the rational men and women can have a sensible discussion on the topic, such as increasing non-lethal security and metal detection at the entrances and exists of all school campus buildings.
But of course!

Maybe we can pass legislation to ban the sale and manufacture of all guns in the US.
No, you can’t. The constitution precludes that.
The constitution says we have the right to keep and bear arms,
Which precludes you from banning the sale and manufacture of them.
nothing about having to make or sell them.
Lol
Of course we already have enough to last for several generations if we stopped selling them today.
You can’t stop selling them today or any other day until you amend the constitution

How is your question in any way a coherent response to my post?
Because your post does not consider the possibility of agency.

If you can manage to ask a logical question I'll consider it.
It's simple yes or no, hypothetical question. Would you give up your guns to save 18 children's lives? As I said, answer it, or not. I don't really care.

Back
Top Bottom