• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#389: 420, 790]Texas elementary school reports 'active shooter' on campus

At this point I am ready to say **** the 2A. The right's stubborn refusal to address this issue with any degree of seriousness will push more and more people to adopt a similar mindset.

Tonight there are grieving parents and grandparents and others--what would you suggest to help them personally tonight?
I cannot imagine the depth of their pain....I think a nationwide ceremony of lighting candles to represent both the loss of innocent children and the pledge to end the cycle would be appropriate. Those who can't sign on should be silent.

At this point I am ready to say **** the 2A. The right's stubborn refusal to address this issue with any degree of seriousness will push more and more people to adopt a similar mindset.

The 2nd Amendment shouldn't trump every other right in existence, but to the right it definitely does.

The problem is not resolvable. We put the right to bare arms in our constitution and today we have more guns than citizens. At this point, restricting or outlawing guns will only have negative consequences on law abiding citizens, because it won't prevent criminals from possessing them. The only thing right now preventing criminals from robbing people at will, is them not knowing if the people they are targeting are armed or not. If this country had outlawed guns from it's founding it would be different, but since we didn't, trying to prevent ordinary people from buying them now, or trying to get rid of them all together, just isn't a viable option.

You are correct. But I believe we can nibble around the edges. The old slogan that “when guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns” is correct. We can, however, create laws that - to paraphrase Camus or someone who was speaking of “tortured children”- if we cannot create a world where school children are murdered, we can at least try to reduce the number of murdered school children.

Guns.

Again.

Once again, our laws and their level of enforcement were unable to prevent this tragedy.
What law would have prevented this? What law was not enforced?
Using data from 2020, we experience, on average, one death by gunshot every 12 minutes in the United States of America.
No we don’t.
45,000 deaths by gunshot in 2020.
And not even in the top 5 causes of death.

We literally just saw a grocery store with an armed security guard be the site of a mass shooting. What is the answer then? Guards with AR-15s and full body armor roaming every public space?
First things first. Schools.

It's a fantasy to think that you or I giving up our guns will save peoples' lives.
No, it's not fantasy. Fewer guns, fewer gun deaths. It's simple math.

You've already said you wouldn't give up your guns to save children so I don't see any point in continuing to interact with you. Because that is the grossest ****ing thing I have ever read on this board.

You can’t ban them. The Supreme Court has already ruled on this. See DC v Heller.

You could ban them tomorrow and it would not reduce the tens of millions already in circulation by a single magazine, nor stop the manufacture importation or purchase of one.

This is a made up term.

I’m spinning you around in circles with facts. You don’t o ow anything about firearms.
Not at all
I lived through all that crap
Nothing is safe for rights
It happened before and can happen again
Post your bullshit comments where someone actually cares

So, you wouldn't give up your guns to save 20 kids' lives?
No, as giving them up would not save 20 kids lives.
When people show you are, believe them.
Yes, I’ve shown I am a responsible law abiding citizen. I can not be and will not be punished because someone else broke the law.

Oh, you want seriousness. You mean like your proposal to confiscate 400 million guns from private citizens by force in total violation of the highest law in the land?

CBS pulls ‘FBI’ season finale after Texas elementary school shooting​

The season finale of the CBS drama “FBI” will not air Tuesday after the tragic elementary school shooting in Texas.

The network made the decision to pull the Season 4 closer — titled “Prodigal Son” — because the characters work to prevent a school shooting. The episode was scheduled to air at 8 p.m. ET.

“As the team investigates a deadly robbery that garnered a cache of automatic weapons for the killers, they discover one of the perps is a classmate of Jubal’s son, who is reluctant to cooperate with the case,” the episode’s official synopsis reads.

According to TV Line, the show’s official Twitter account was still promoting the episode that “hits too close to home” for the show’s character, Jubal, at 5 p.m. ET.

About the most ignorant ****ing answer I could have imagined.

Your name wouldn't be Gregg Abbott would it?

Not always.

But obviously it is acceptable.
Just have any of the deplorables advocating gun control lined up in front of a firing squad.

Then once the freaks are out of the way, the rational men and women can have a sensible discussion on the topic, such as increasing non-lethal security and metal detection at the entrances and exists of all school campus buildings.

Nobody's going to stop manufacturing and buying guns, certainly not a poor person like yourself. Guns are a billion dollar industry, and today anyone in the world can buy guns via e-commerce websites.

You'd have better luck just banning the internet, and it doesn't matter either way, because we're simply not going to let you and work to have the uneducated rabble who promote gun control imprisoned so that their stupidity can't taint the rest of our society and intellectual discussions of the topic.
Do people have the choice to make and buy guns?

We could theoretically stop the importation and domestic manufacturing of firearms.
No you couldn’t.
But it would take decades for firearm ownership to be at the levels we see in countries like the UK or even Sweden.
A complete ban would have no effect on the amount of firearms currently in circulation or the amount that would be added.
We have more guns than citizens and who knows how many unregistered ones.
All of them are unregistered.

Death toll now 18 -- not sure if that number includes the shooter.

His grandmother is the 66 year old woman in critical and is still clinging to life

Oh, you want seriousness. You mean like your proposal to confiscate 400 million guns from private citizens by force in total violation of the highest law in the land?
And there it is.

Don't worry your guns are safe. Thoughts and prayers that your children/loved ones are equally as safe.

Death toll is now 18 children and 3 adults.

Back
Top Bottom