• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#389: 420, 790]Texas elementary school reports 'active shooter' on campus

The only gun control that matters is getting your shot on target!

How about a serious discussion of who we are letting buy guns?

He broke a whole host of gun laws before he ever pointed one at someone and pulled the trigger.

Shooter apparently was wearing body armor

Could they have been inspired into a copycat killing?

Maybe. Doesn't matter. In probably 80-90% of the countries worldwide, people can watch all sorts of gruesome videos of murders on liveleak or YouTube or whatever. I'm sure there are plenty of would-be copycats out there, well beyond our borders.

But this is the one country on the planet that hasn't figured out the easy part: keep the ****ing guns out of their hands.

He broke a whole host of gun laws before he ever pointed one at someone and pulled the trigger.

What laws did he break up until he killed his grandmother? Be specific...

30+ years ago we actually taught young people values which mattered. Unlike today where schools push wacky sick gender confusion and other bullshit. Not to mention the narcissistic addiction to social media and smart phones. Replacing morality with tick-tock... Who didn't see that turning out badly?
Yeah thats not the problem here

Escept that by that same argument the number of males involved in mass shootings are also a ratio "so small you need an electron microscope to see it."

True...that's why I focused on learning how we're creating so many POS losers and identifying them. It's easier (and IMO would be more effective) to focus on that smaller number and remedy that...than to try and take out ALL 400 million guns

He did, because guns are as about as easy to obtain as an alcoholic beverage - maybe even easier.

LMAO... We don't need to ban guns or reduce them.. Just make ammunition exceedingly expensive...

Ah yes, prohibition has always worked to disuade those who are willing to break the law already...

No it doesn’t.

No army on the planet uses one.

Which is moronic. No army on the planet uses one.
LOL. No army uses 5.56 NATO rounds in their AR-15's? That is the prefered ammo for all AR's
What planet are you talking about?

If we tripled the number of guns in the US would you expect the number of gun deaths to go up, down or stay the same?
Hard to say, since the number of guns and the number of gun deaths aren't correlated.

We did actually triple the number of guns from 1986 to 2019 - the gun homicide rate fell 9.5%, the gun suicide rate fell 9% and the unintentional firearm death fell 71%.

https://wisqars.cdc.gov/fatal-reports

True...that's why I focused on learning how we're creating so many POS losers and identifying them. It's easier (and IMO would be more effective) to focus on that smaller number and remedy that...than to try and take out ALL 400 million guns
They tend to self-identify lately.

Considering these events are happening on a fairly regular basis, I wouldn't exactly call them 'extreme' anymore.

The conservatives bitching about regulation and government are the same conservatives who want government to step in with more regulation on abortion, immigration, drugs, etc.
The only thing I want to hear from the anti-gun crowd is, at long last, a detailed articulation of exactly what it is they want done that would prevent these events. I’m not interested in the drive-by cheap shots at your political opponents while you crawl back into your hole until the next shooting.

I disagree, Fletch. At the very least: Fortify our schools. Do away with open campuses. Pass infrastructure legislation giving states the money to build new multi-story fortress schools out of solid concrete, with bulletproof glass and doors; make it so that playgrounds are within the interior courtyard. Make it so that any entrant must pass through security metal detectors and be subject to weapons checks. We do it for courthouses. We can and should do it for schools. And if nothing else, it does not affect gun ownership rights one iota.

I'd rather see all that $$ go into researching how the US is such a leader in creating the POS losers that do this, for identifying, tracking, and stopping them. Keeping guns out of their hands, helping the teens before they're completely lost, helping the mentally ill, etc.

As a taxpayer, I'd like to see my $ spent on what's most effective, and IMO that's what I just mentioned as part of the solution.

Ah yes, prohibition has always worked to disuade those who are willing to break the law already...
It works pretty well in the rest of the world. They do not have the mass shootings that we do.

I wonder how police and EMS can deal with it mentally when they show up and little kids have bullets in their heads and chests and eyes and ears.
It's OK if it's some types of .38 they can save them, not a high velocity. 223 no organs left to save
LMAO... We don't need to ban guns or reduce them.. Just make ammunition exceedingly expensive...

Most hunters make their own ammo

LOL. No army uses 5.56 NATO rounds in their AR-15's? That is the prefered ammo for all AR's
What planet are you talking about?
Semiautomatic AR-15s.

The first semiautomatic rifle in the US was made in 1903, in .22 LR. It wasn't designed as military rifle. The first semiautomatic centerfire rifle in the US, equipped with a box magazine that held up to 15 rounds was the Remington Model 8. It was designed for hunting. The .224 caliber bullet was first used in the .220 Swift, in 1935, for hunting.
The .223 Remington was based on the .222 Remington, a hunting cartridge. The Remington model 760, a hunting rifle, chambered in .223 Remington, was sold to civilians before the M16 was used by the US military. The first rifle ever to use a pistol grip was the DELVIGNE PATENT carbine made by LESOINNE ET PIRLOT FILS, LIEGE in 1840

There is nothing unique to the AR-15, other than the bayonet lug, that wasn't used in a hunting rifle before ever being used in an M16 or AR-15. Show that a bayonet on an AR-15 was used to kill more than five people in the last 55 years and I’ll give up the bayonet lug.

I don't want to hear republican crocodile tears about this. Just shut the **** up and celebrate that you have 18 fewer brown people in this country now, I guess.

I would propose expanding restraining orders and red flag laws. If someone makes threats or voices a desire to kill men, women or children publicly or online, anyone can bring that evidence to law enforcement officers to ask a judge issue an emergency protective order, during which time the accused must relinquish their firearms. Then the accused would have a right to a hearing to determine if they are more likely than not to engage in some form of violence. If it is demonstrated by a preponderance of the evidence that the shooter is a danger, they are barred from owning, possessing or attempting to own or possess firearms or ammunition for a period of between one and five years, depending on the seriousness of the threat.

Yeah, the school shooter was on target using your argument. Are you applauding that??
Depends.

How many shots did he fire in hitting his targets.

One target hit per shot is optimum.

Anything else is a waste of ammo and not applaudable, in my opinion.

Not like the dead are anything but acceptable collateral damage.

Back
Top Bottom