• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:363]Trump threatens to pull federal funding for California wildfires over 'gross mismanagement'

Re: Trump threatens to pull federal funding for California wildfires over 'gross mismanagement'

I live in California and I agree with Trump. The permanent Communist government here has thrown away all our money on every stupid thing imaginable, and its not fair to ask other responsible states for their money when something happens here.
Well since CA gives more to other states than it takes in it's only fair that the state gets comeback when it needs it.

Re: Trump threatens to pull federal funding for California wildfires over 'gross mismanagement'

It's not deflection at all actually. I'm interested in the application of these cost saving measures if used on a much broader scale. Can we make this same argument for other areas affected by natural disasters? OR...maybe, this is just another pot shot by Trump.

Okay. Start a thread about this "broader scale", then.

The topic of this thread is quite specific.

Dismissed.

The news in California is dire and the fires are very serious. Thousands are fleeing rapidly advancing fires in a large part of the State. The fires spread very quickly. Where is the aide for California. Has Washington sent teams of firefighters to help? I'm not sure and that's genuinely why I'm asking. Yes, this is due to climate change and yes it will continue to get worse. Just ten years ago, California used to have a high fire risk during 3 months of the year, now it's 12 months of the year. Are threats appropriate right while people are experiencing the trauma of losing their homes and indeed, in danger of losing their lives.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/trump-threatens-pull-federal-funding-california-wildfires-gross/story?id=59102371

images

Trump threatens to pull federal funding for California wildfires over 'gross mismanagement'

Fast-moving fires force mass evacuations in southern California

President Donald Trump woke up in Paris on Saturday in the mood to make threats toward California as it deals with deadly wildfires in Northern California and hundreds of smoldering homes in Southern California. In an angry tweet, the president threatened to pull federal funding for the state if nothing is done to "remedy" the situation.

Trump is in Paris to take part in a commemoration for the 100th anniversary of the end of World War I. But his mind was still on the disaster unfolding out west in the U.S.

Nine people have died in a spate of wildfires that began this week. All of the deaths were as a result of the Camp Fire in the area of Paradise, California, near Chico. Almost the entire city was decimated by flames early Friday.

The president approved an emergency declaration for the state on Friday -- but warned he may not do the same in the future. Emergency declarations provide municipalities with air support, relief supplies and evacuation transport.

There is no reason for these massive, deadly and costly forest fires in California except that forest management is so poor. Billions of dollars are given each year, with so many lives lost, all because of gross mismanagement of the forests. Remedy now, or no more Fed payments!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 10, 2018

Trump is right. Environmentalists have been objecting to ordinary measures to keep the risk of fire down and so the conditions that increased the risk of this kind of fire have steadily increased. So when a disaster like this happens they blame it on global warming. Ridiculous!

Historically, there is nothing unusual about this fire. There is nothing the US government could have done that would affect the climate enough to mitigate this fire risk. Whether Trump believes in global warming or not is immaterial.

Californians have been at war with reality, and now reality is asserting itself. Whether or not they can act rationally in responding to this remains to be seen.

The news in California is dire and the fires are very serious. Thousands are fleeing rapidly advancing fires in a large part of the State. The fires spread very quickly. Where is the aide for California. Has Washington sent teams of firefighters to help? I'm not sure and that's genuinely why I'm asking. Yes, this is due to climate change and yes it will continue to get worse. Just ten years ago, California used to have a high fire risk during 3 months of the year, now it's 12 months of the year. Are threats appropriate right while people are experiencing the trauma of losing their homes and indeed, in danger of losing their lives.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/trump-threatens-pull-federal-funding-california-wildfires-gross/story?id=59102371

images

Trump threatens to pull federal funding for California wildfires over 'gross mismanagement'

Fast-moving fires force mass evacuations in southern California

President Donald Trump woke up in Paris on Saturday in the mood to make threats toward California as it deals with deadly wildfires in Northern California and hundreds of smoldering homes in Southern California. In an angry tweet, the president threatened to pull federal funding for the state if nothing is done to "remedy" the situation.

Trump is in Paris to take part in a commemoration for the 100th anniversary of the end of World War I. But his mind was still on the disaster unfolding out west in the U.S.

Nine people have died in a spate of wildfires that began this week. All of the deaths were as a result of the Camp Fire in the area of Paradise, California, near Chico. Almost the entire city was decimated by flames early Friday.

The president approved an emergency declaration for the state on Friday -- but warned he may not do the same in the future. Emergency declarations provide municipalities with air support, relief supplies and evacuation transport.

There is no reason for these massive, deadly and costly forest fires in California except that forest management is so poor. Billions of dollars are given each year, with so many lives lost, all because of gross mismanagement of the forests. Remedy now, or no more Fed payments!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 10, 2018

He's not wrong, California's forests are way overgrown. many forests have dead trees that are completely dry just standing. they (Little Hoover Committee) found most forested acres in the Sierras have over three times as many trees per acre as an acre could support. Active forest management is non-existent. California also doesn't allow commercial logging like they once did.

Okay. Start a thread about this "broader scale", then.

The topic of this thread is quite specific.

Dismissed.

:lamo

Well since CA gives more to other states than it takes in it's only fair that the state gets comeback when it needs it.

"CA" doesn't "give" anyone a penny. A handful of superwealthy people contribute heavily to federal tax receipts, that is not the same thing as the state of California, and it doesn't entitle the CA State government to federal assistance.

the only person mismanaging funds is Donald J Trump.

Well there's also Mr. Private Jet Scott Pruitt

Probably has some cronies wanting to do some water/land expansion that's tied to this.
Or he's just doing more Trump distractions from the important stuff he wants diluted in the news.

Stupid Trump is Stupid.

Trump is a scumbag piece of ****.

You mispelled "California state government" since Trump is right to do this.

You mispelled "California state government" since Trump is right to do this.

lame comment.

It's about time we have a President who, while providing aid, lets people know that the federal government isn't a piggy bank. Receiving the aid requires taking responsibility to reduce the need for the aid.

Tell that to the 1% and rich corporations. They don't know.

"CA" doesn't "give" anyone a penny. A handful of superwealthy people contribute heavily to federal tax receipts, that is not the same thing as the state of California, and it doesn't entitle the CA State government to federal assistance.

OK, then no state should get federal assistance then..

lame comment.

Not as lame as yours. California mismanagement of forest land is long documented, the intense wildfires long ago predicted, and the state government has done nothing about it. At some point we need to stop having it be everyone else’s problem. Also without federal disaster aid insurance premiums on affected property will skyrocket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in California and I agree with Trump. The permanent Communist government here has thrown away all our money on every stupid thing imaginable, and its not fair to ask other responsible states for their money when something happens here.

Proof please

It's alright with you as long as it's not your home on fire or the safety of yourself and your family threatened and your entire life turned upside down and instead of help or even a little bit of empathy you're threatened by an evil, selfish, traitor of a president. But if you actually live in the United States, you're going to find out what that's like too one day, and we'll all put our heads back and laugh at you, "told you so" then turn and walk away from you, just abandon you and your crisis. That would be good, right? Well, that's exactly what this a**hole president is doing.

View attachment 67244030

What Trump said was that it is the mismanagement of the forests in California that are causing these fires. I have no idea if that is true or not, but that is his point.

Not as lame as yours. California mismanagement of forest land is long documented, the intense wildfires long ago predicted, and the state government has done nothing about it. At some point we need to stop having it be everyone else’s problem. Also without federal disaster aid insurance premiums on affected property will skyrocket

you're on the record as supporting a wannabe despot's personal feud which would have real consequences for US citizens. live with it.

you're on the record as supporting a wannabe despot's personal feud which would have real consequences for US citizens. live with it.

Do you know whether or not mismanagement is part of the problem? Or is your only contribution here "I hate Trump" posts?

Do you know whether or not mismanagement is part of the problem? Or is your only contribution here "I hate Trump" posts?

more tacit support.

Tell that to the 1% and rich corporations. They don't know.

I agree.

But that's up to Congress to deal with. Unfortunately, Congress works for them.

Your deflection is noted...and dismissed.

you're on the record as supporting a wannabe despot's (1)personal feud (2)which would have real consequences for US citizens. (3)live with it.

1) no evidence of this
2) placing conditions on federal dollars is a common practice, it is not a personal feud
3) every decision has consequences for somebody, that’s not an argument

1) no evidence of this
2) placing conditions on federal dollars is a common practice, it is not a personal feud
3) every decision has consequences for somebody, that’s not an argument

saying things doesn't make them true. as someone who hates political parties, people like you are valuable. you give me motivation to vote for the useless idiots who oppose your side.

saying things doesn't make them true. as someone who hates political parties, people like you are valuable. you give me motivation to vote for the useless idiots who oppose your side.

None of this is relevant to the topic at hand.

None of this is relevant to the topic at hand.

quote someone else, then.

more tacit support.

In other words, your contribution here is nothing more than "I hate Trump" posts. Fair enough. Its not like there arent 50 of you guys on here already though.

quote someone else, then.

I’ll quote whoever I want, you just have a habit of typing “orange man bad” without even considering that the issue actually is

Back
Top Bottom