• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:184] 1920's music --- a time of change

I Wanna Be Loved by You was written for the 1928 musical Good Boy. It was chosen as a Song of the Century by survey. The song was first performed in 1928 by Helen Kane, who became known as the 'Boop-Boop-a-Doop Girl' because of her baby-talk, scat-singing tag line to the song. This was recorded when Kane's popularity started to reach its peak, and became her signature song. 2 years later, a cartoon character named Betty Boop was modeled after Kane. And here is BETTY BOOP!

Last edited:
LOL at that silly saying having a tune to go with it.

Is that where the saying originated?

LOL at that silly saying having a tune to go with it.

Is that where the saying originated?
The song was one of a series of comic novelity tunes set in "exotic" locations. The verses of "Ice Cream" talk of a fictional college in "the land of ice and snow, up among the Eskimo", the college cheer being the chorus of the song "I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream for Ice Cream". Best recordings of the tune in the 1920s include by Warings Pennsylvanians, Harry Reser's Syncopators, and The Revelers. So YES! I SCREAM YOU SCREAM WE ALL SCREAM FOR ICE CREAM ----- originated with the tune in 1927... Many have heard this cheer without ever hearing this song. My guess is that EVERYONE loves ICE CREAM!

1928 we have the start of a style change in orchestration. FASHIONETTE has a very different sound, and as a result this record (while a hit) stayed midway on the charts of that year.

It sounds Lawrence-Welk-y.

A few of you might remember a 1990s documentary by Ken Burns on the history of Jazz. Prior to that, I had zero interest in Jazz. AFTER that, I became immersed in all pre 1950 music, including popular tunes, torch songs, big band (especially), and big band precursors like Paul Whiteman. So much brilliant music of that era... my interest only waning in the last 7 years due to an industrial accident and some hearing loss.

Still, I do love it for its energy and talent... (I also became a dedicated observer of swing)...

Anyway, here was my introduction to the varsity drag:

Last edited:
A few of you might remember a 1990s documentary by Ken Burns on the history of Jazz. Prior to that, I had zero interest in Jazz. AFTER that, I became immersed in all pre 1950 music, including popular tunes, torch songs, big band (especially), and big band precursors like Paul Whiteman. So much brilliant music of that era... my interest only waning in the last 7 years due to an industrial accident and some hearing loss.

Still, I do love it for its energy and talent... (I also became a dedicated observer of swing)...

Anyway, here was my introduction to the varsity drag:

Not 1920's but I dig it ... it ended way too soon. Now I have to find a video of what comes next.

In 1927 Duke Ellington colaborated to write BLACK AND TAN FANTASIE ---- that would become his hit on VICTOR Records in 1928

1926 we have a song called WHO? written 1925. And here isJosephine Baker to sing it: George Olsen and his orchestra would have the big hit with this kern tune from the Broadway musical SUNNY :

Last edited:
MACK THE KNIFE from the THREE PENNY OPERA attracted attention particularly in Europe. It's hard to imagine a song in German being popular in the US but many knew german --- as they might french and OPERA in general was still very popular. Anyway, the story is of the seedy side of life. The play was not received very well at that time, but this song seems to have struck a cord with average folk. Within a few years there would there would be a movie. This song was add to the play at the last minute. It was felt an intoduction for a charater was needed and so this song was written in to fill that purpose... This is the original hit.
Und der Haifisch, der hat Zähne,
Und die trägt er im Gesicht.
Und Macheath, der hat ein Messer,
Doch das Messer sieht man nicht.
And the shark, it has teeth,
And it wears them in the face.
And Macheath, he has a knife,
But the knife can't be seen.

Last edited:
wow ... had no idea the song was not of American origin ... but then again until your post prompted me to look him up, I did not know that Bertol Brecht was a playwright. I had heard of the name but would have guessed he was a painter.

Here is a song with lots of heart. It is a beautiful rendition by

Here is a song with lots of heart. It is a beautiful rendition by PAUL ROBESON. It is of course from SHOW BOAT and came out in 1927. This number 1 hit is from 1928. Some may find some words questionable. I find everything in keeping with the storyline and the time period. One can only look at the past to consider what can be changed now. The song is OL' MAN RIVER ---- as it should be sung.

NOW, in comparison here is a terrible rendition of the same song from 1927. The video that goes along with it is actually very good. Anyway, some may like it. (if you turn the sound down, you can watch the video while Mr. Robeson sings...

Last edited:
In 1927 a song was written that would become another Hit for Paul Whiteman and years later would be a big hit for Connie Francis. The song is called AMONG MY SOUVENIRS . The Columbia version sounds typical for the 20's HOWEVER, it's the Paul Whiteman VICTOR Recording that became the hit in 1928

In 1928 RAMONA would be a number one hit for Gene Austin for 8 weeks. This originally was written for a silent movie of the same name (it was a title tune for promotion purposes). I first heard this hit on a RCA VICTOR HiFi sampler 2 Long Play 331/3rpm record set titled 60 YEARS of RECORDED HISTORY. That was in 1959. I can picture a tango done to this:

Last edited:
Starting in January of 1928, Paul Whiteman had a hit that would again be revived in the 1940's and again by Connie Francis in the early 1960's. It is a sentimental tune that would become a standard. Paul Whiteman had a way of blending various music styles "together", and his audiances loved it...

Last edited:
The year is 1928! This little cartoon short has in its first opening moments a little tune whistled by a mouse that would soon be whistled by anyone who could whistle internationally. A talking cartoon concerning a mouse named MICKEY and the start of worldwide popularity for Disney!

Last edited:
In 1927 a song was written that would become a hit for the VICTOR Record Co. in 1928 by Rodge Wolfe Kahn. The title: LET A SMILE BE YOU UMBRELLA:

It shouldn't be overlooked that one of the new technologies of the 1920's was RADIO. And by the mid 20's many people had one. This song was a popular tune of the day. This recording is pre-electric, and that means acustic. This little song is titled MR. RADIO MAN, and it is a bit of a tearjerker --- though it wasn't meant to be taken seriously. This recording is from 1924. And thought there are several other versions on other record labels that year, this song fell into obscurity and died as the technology advanced and became less of a mystery.

Last edited:
In 1928 Earl Burtnett and his Orchestra had a hit with SWEET SUE, JUST YOU:

I Can't Give You Anything but Love, Baby is an American jazz standard & popular song by McHugh (music) and Firlds (lyrics). The song was introduced at Les Ambassadeurs Club in New York in January 1928 in the Blackbird Revue, which opened on Broadway later that year as the highly successful Blackbird of 1928

This would be one of Cliff Edwards' biggest hits. He was also known as Ukulele Ike, and Jiminy Cricket. He was quite popular during that time period.

Last edited:
1929 would give us one of the most beloved tunes of all time SINGING IN THE RAIN. The song first appeared in The Hollywood Review of 1929 that came out in June of that year. See if you recognize any of the famous stars of that time period:
This segment was filmed in the new two part technicolor, GIRLS, GIRLS, and more GIRLS!
First recording of SINGING IN THE RAIN!
CLIFF EDWARDS alias JIMINY CRICKET ----- SINGING IN THE RAIN! A BIG BIG HIT!

Last edited:
Although Marconi technically invented radio (or “wireless telegraphy”) in 1901, radio as we know it was developed by David Sarnoff. Sarnoff was the young wireless-telegraph operator on duty when the Titanic sank in 1912, whose 70-hour shift that night earned him worldwide fame. He wrote an article shortly afterwards imagining that this “wireless world” could lead to appliances that would carry music into people’s homes. In 1920, Sarnoff’s celebrity status got him the top job at RCA, a new company set up by GE and other big corporations on the ashes of Marconi’s bankrupt “wireless telegraphy” business.

RCA’s mandate was to explore (and exploit) the commercial potential of the airwaves. Within a couple of years, as more and more stations began broadcasting music, radios became fairly popular consumer items, but they really took off when Sarnoff conceived of a national network made up of the best-liked shows aired on small stations around the country. (At this point, the whole idea of a national network was to sell radios, not to revolutionize communications or sell advertising.) Sarnoff’s ideas, combined with the huge capital his corporate backers put behind them, worked extremely well. In 1924, radios cost over $200 and were in a few thousand households; by 1927, some sold for a little as $35 and were in over 10 million households.

When radio began growing in 1921, early stations found that live musicians sounded much clearer over the air than record players did, so few if any played records. The record industry and musicians’ unions were still nervous enough to encourage US President Herbert Hoover to outlaw the playing of records on air, which he did in 1922. Hoover’s reasoning was that the public airwaves should be used for the public good, which included creating jobs for musicians.
However, the record industry still had serious fears that people would just sit at home listening to music for free without ever buying a record again. Cooler heads understood that radio couldn’t replace the experience of a live concert, and that music listeners would always want the option of choosing what songs they listened to.

However, the electrical microphones and speakers used by the radio industry sounded much better than hand-cranked phonographs did, and after peaking in 1921 when 110 million records were sold, record sales declined each year until 1925, when Victor unveiled a better-sounding “electrical process” records. Soon, all the other labels also put out new “electrical” records, helping North American sales climb to 140 million by 1927, and global sales to 200 million records by 1929.
The whole time, musicians were less nervous about radio than record companies were, thinking that stations across the country would have to hire musicians if they were to broadcast live all day and evening. However, as national networks quickly coalesced, there was lots of work for musicians living in a dozen or so bigger US cities but not much radio work anywhere else.

Ultimately, this may have been the beginning of a musical class system that exists to this day: for musicians who toured extensively or already had a big enough name, radio could spur them on to superstar status. Although the big performing stars in both pop and classical fields previously had agents and managers and so on to help line up gigs and tours, it was radio that first got mass-market-minded producers and programmers involved in the aspirations and fortunes of musicians and bands.

The first artists appearing on the national radio networks in the late 20s unsurprisingly played very safe, recognizable songs on their shows, in styles that weren’t exactly cutting-edge. Many of these, like bandleader George Olsen, already had reputations on vaudeville stages where they learned how to please audiences of average people anywhere.

The onset of the Great Depression combined with the ever-growing popularity of radios caused the near-total collapse of the record industry, falling from over 100 million units in the US in 1929 to just 6 million in 1932. On top of this, the increased competition from independents as well as radio through the 1920s had forced most labels to lower the price of their pop records from $1.00 to 50 cents before the collapse began. So, needless to say that the record industry was on the brink as 1929 progressed.

Rudy Vallee would become one of the very first of the crooner stars whose voices were helped by electronics. The microphone ended the need of a strong bombastic voice to be heard. The smoother voices could now charm their audiences. Here is his 1929 hit: HONEY
In the words of a magazine writer in 1929,
Per RADIO REVIEW dated November 1929 ---- speaking of Mr. Vallee
At the microphone he is truly a romantic figure. Faultlessly attired in evening dress, he pours softly into the radio's delicate ear a stream of mellifluous melody. He appears to be coaxing, pleading and at the same time adoring the invisible one to whom his song is attuned.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom