• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:184] 1920's music --- a time of change

Eddie Cantor would have a big hit with Makin' Whoopee! on VICTOR Records in 1929: "Makin' Whoopee" originally refered to the celebration of a marriage, but became a euphemism for sex. The song was written in 1928 for the musical Whoopee! Rudy Vallee would also record Makin' Whoopee! in 1929 as would Eddie Walters the same year:

Last edited:
Of course, the best 1920’s music was from the South - where the blues and jazz were being invented and would eventually result in rock music.

But some of my favorite blues recordings from that era were of the women blues vocalists like Ma Rainey. She recorded her hit ‘Shave em Dry’ (a euphemism for..well…look it up), and this is available on the internet from a recording about 10 years later, with much more explicit lyrics. Like… lyrics that would absolutely be banned on the radio and broadcast stations today, and probably wouldn’t be allowed on anything but late night cable.

Enjoy!

Although Marconi technically invented radio (or “wireless telegraphy”) in 1901, radio as we know it was developed by David Sarnoff. Sarnoff was the young wireless-telegraph operator on duty when the Titanic sank in 1912, whose 70-hour shift that night earned him worldwide fame. He wrote an article shortly afterwards imagining that this “wireless world” could lead to appliances that would carry music into people’s homes. In 1920, Sarnoff’s celebrity status got him the top job at RCA, a new company set up by GE and other big corporations on the ashes of Marconi’s bankrupt “wireless telegraphy” business.

RCA’s mandate was to explore (and exploit) the commercial potential of the airwaves. Within a couple of years, as more and more stations began broadcasting music, radios became fairly popular consumer items, but they really took off when Sarnoff conceived of a national network made up of the best-liked shows aired on small stations around the country. (At this point, the whole idea of a national network was to sell radios, not to revolutionize communications or sell advertising.) Sarnoff’s ideas, combined with the huge capital his corporate backers put behind them, worked extremely well. In 1924, radios cost over $200 and were in a few thousand households; by 1927, some sold for a little as $35 and were in over 10 million households.

When radio began growing in 1921, early stations found that live musicians sounded much clearer over the air than record players did, so few if any played records. The record industry and musicians’ unions were still nervous enough to encourage US President Herbert Hoover to outlaw the playing of records on air, which he did in 1922. Hoover’s reasoning was that the public airwaves should be used for the public good, which included creating jobs for musicians.
However, the record industry still had serious fears that people would just sit at home listening to music for free without ever buying a record again. Cooler heads understood that radio couldn’t replace the experience of a live concert, and that music listeners would always want the option of choosing what songs they listened to.

However, the electrical microphones and speakers used by the radio industry sounded much better than hand-cranked phonographs did, and after peaking in 1921 when 110 million records were sold, record sales declined each year until 1925, when Victor unveiled a better-sounding “electrical process” records. Soon, all the other labels also put out new “electrical” records, helping North American sales climb to 140 million by 1927, and global sales to 200 million records by 1929.
The whole time, musicians were less nervous about radio than record companies were, thinking that stations across the country would have to hire musicians if they were to broadcast live all day and evening. However, as national networks quickly coalesced, there was lots of work for musicians living in a dozen or so bigger US cities but not much radio work anywhere else.

Ultimately, this may have been the beginning of a musical class system that exists to this day: for musicians who toured extensively or already had a big enough name, radio could spur them on to superstar status. Although the big performing stars in both pop and classical fields previously had agents and managers and so on to help line up gigs and tours, it was radio that first got mass-market-minded producers and programmers involved in the aspirations and fortunes of musicians and bands.

The first artists appearing on the national radio networks in the late 20s unsurprisingly played very safe, recognizable songs on their shows, in styles that weren’t exactly cutting-edge. Many of these, like bandleader George Olsen, already had reputations on vaudeville stages where they learned how to please audiences of average people anywhere.

The onset of the Great Depression combined with the ever-growing popularity of radios caused the near-total collapse of the record industry, falling from over 100 million units in the US in 1929 to just 6 million in 1932. On top of this, the increased competition from independents as well as radio through the 1920s had forced most labels to lower the price of their pop records from $1.00 to 50 cents before the collapse began. So, needless to say that the record industry was on the brink as 1929 progressed.

"Like" wasn't the right emoticon for that. But thank you for the history lesson.

Am I Blue? copyrighted by Harry Akst (music) and Grant Clarke (lyrics) in 1929 and was then featured in 4 films that year, most notably with Ethel Walters in the movie On With the Show.

AIN'T MISBEHAVIN' was written for a a comedy musical in 1929 titled Connie's Hot Chocolates. Fat's Waller would have a hit with this one: Louis Armstrong would also record this song the same year (1929) On Armstrong's recording note a touch of Rhapsody in Blue thrown in for good measure.

Last edited:
Charley Patton wrote this hit ( PONY BLUES ) at the age of 19 and was one of the 1st songs he wrote. And it would be a hit for him in 1929:
With the help of record store owner H.C. Speir, Patton obtained his first recording session, for Paramount Records, on June 14, 1929. It was very popular in rural areas of the country for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
There would be another big hit from the now lost picture of Broadway Melody of 1929. It was THE WEDDING OF THE PAPER DOLL and would be a splash in the summer of 1929. It would be remembered again in the 1950's movie musical Singing in the Rain.

Here is a surviving segment from that movie that was found in Black and White but has been restored to its original two part Technicolor as it appeard back at that time. Note: The odd tonal quality; however, this was highly advanced for that time period.

Last edited:
Here is a surviving segment from that movie that was found in Black and White but has been restored to its original two part Technicolor as it appeard back at that time. Note: The odd tonal quality; however, this was highly advanced for that time period. And here also is a segment from the 1952 movie Singing in the Rain that featured among other songs THE WEDDING OF THE PAPER DOLL ------ Singing in the Rain is a fantastic movie with great stars and gives an idea of what went on with the transition to "Talking Pictures".

@LittleNipper Another artist of that era was Seger Ellis. When he was much older, I came to know him very well (he was a patient of my father's, and my father never got over the thrill), and after he was widowed, my mother faithfully visited him in the nursing home. My sister and I have wonderful glossies from his heyday, and in the bar room of his home, there were wall-to-wall autographed black-and whites of everybody who was anybody. He and his wife always let me sneak underaged booze, so I spent a lot of time in that little room. He discovered the Mills Brothers, and every Fourth of July on his birthday, they would call him during his blowout party. Not kidding, the very best parties anywhere, and you never knew who would show up or call. Sadly, Seger is largely forgotten, and he never saved his money or paid into Social Security, so he lived in genteel poverty, dependent on the kindness and generosity of others. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seger_Ellis

Seger Ellis was a songwriter. I think "Little Jack Frost Get Lost" is is best-known composition, but the following's melody is incomparable:

@LittleNipper Another artist of that era was Seger Ellis. When he was much older, I came to know him very well (he was a patient of my father's, and my father never got over the thrill), and after he was widowed, my mother faithfully visited him in the nursing home. My sister and I have wonderful glossies from his heyday, and in the bar room of his home, there were wall-to-wall autographed black-and whites of everybody who was anybody. He and his wife always let me sneak underaged booze, so I spent a lot of time in that little room. He discovered the Mills Brothers, and every Fourth of July on his birthday, they would call him during his blowout party. Not kidding, the very best parties anywhere, and you never knew who would show up or call. Sadly, Seger is largely forgotten, and he never saved his money or paid into Social Security, so he lived in genteel poverty, dependent on the kindness and generosity of others. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seger_Ellis

Seger Ellis was a songwriter. I think "Little Jack Frost Get Lost" is is best-known composition, but the following's melody is incomparable:

Thank you very much for the information. It's funny how one can run into people. I met a couple who were related to W.C. FIELDS --- They said that all the stuff I'd heard about him was true...;)
The Seger Ellis COLUMBIA version of AIN'T THAT TOO BAD is from 1926, and here is another version by the Halstead Orchestra on a VICTOR Record from 1927 for dancing:

Last edited:
Rudy Vallee was a hit with the Flappers and they followed him everywhere. In 1929, Hollywood discovered that not only was he a great crooner/band leader but he could act. His first movie was The Vagabond Lover, from which this 1929 hit is from titled I'M JUST A VAGABOND LOVER:

1928 would produce a song which would become a great hit for Louis Armstrong in 1929. WHEN YOU'RE SMILING :

Those photos are just wonderful, aren't they? Seger and Pam threw the best parties ever (and did I mention that they treated me like a grownup and let me drink). That generation and my parents' generation could really put away the booze. The old, fabulous grand piano, covered with a zillion drink-rings and ciggie burns played continually and people stood around it and sang. Sometimes Pam, a former cigarette girl at the famed Balinese Room in Galveston, would recite bawdy poems she composed. Show people would stop by after their last performance, and people dressed up. Sequins and tuxes and diamonds and feathers--such glamor!

As you may note, the talkies began to contribute more and more recorded music. This Bob Haring and his orchestra recording was recorded and used as a sychronized musical interlude portion of the soundtrack for the movie THE PAGAN released in April 1929. Here is the hit of March 1929 PAGAN LOVE LONG:

Last edited:
In 1929, a french man named Maurice Chevalier would a record song which not only would become a favorite hit, but also Mr. Chevlier's signature song throughout his entertaining career. The song was Chevalier's first hit in the U.S.A., and was among the best selling records for 10 weeks in the summer of 1929. Everyone seemed to love this entertainer. That song is called LOUISE:

Last edited:
In August of 1924, a little cartoon girl would become so very popular among children (girls and boys) as well as adults. Her name was LITTLE ORPHAN ANNIE.
The kids loved her dog Sandy and her benefactor Oliver "Daddy" Warbucks, too. She debuted in the New York Daily News. The song LITTLE ORPHAN ANNIE (written in 1928) would be a hit in 1929 for the Coon-Sanders Nighthawk Orchestra which was the very 1st Kansas City jazz band to achieve any national recognition. This was due primarily to radio!

In 1928 a song was composed that would really become very popular well into the 1930's It was first recorded by Ruth Etting and was called BUTTON UP YOUR OVERCOAT: Our Boop Boop a Doop Gal, Helen Kane, would also make a hit of it in 1929: And Paul Whiteman would also make a hit with this song:
Here is a movie version from 1930 technicolor musical "FOLLOW THRU" sung by Zelma O'Neal and Jack Haley (remember the Tin Man): I must say that Zelma O'Neal could have pounded on my chest any day.;)

Last edited:
In 1928, Ted Lewis and His Orchestra would come out with a hit that mimicked Ted's once famous line, "Is Everbody HaPpee?" Here is that long forgotten hit that was in the top 50 that year --- IS EVERYBODY HAPPY NOW? :

Last edited:
Looooong instrumental intros seem common.

And so alien to my modern ear.

Pine Top Smith would record a recording on Decmber 29th of 1928 that would be released in March of 1929. It was called PINE TOP'S BOOGIE WOOGIE, and would establish the term BOOGIE WOOGIE as the genre for that music style. The music featured rhythmic "pauses" that were an essential ingredient of ragtime, but also a fundamental foretaste of rock'n roll. This song was also the first known application of the term BOOGIE WOOGIE on a record.

Last edited:
Yes, a new style sound was just beginning to peek around the corner --- the times were changing. And everything was on the verge of coming apart! Here's the song JIVE MAN BLUES

At 22 for the entire year of 1929 is COLLEGE MEDLEY played by Guy Lombardo. Where the jobs would be for the next decade they were not worried about yet!

IF I HAD A TALKING PICTURE OF YOU ----- was the thought for 1929. Kentucky Serenaders had the hit with this song:

And here is the song in the 1929 Talkie:
The couple is actress Janet Gaynor and actor Charles Farrel

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom