• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:110] Was dying on the Cross necessary or a random method chosen by God ?

Channe79

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
If God is all powerful, why did God need to become a man and die on the Cross to forgive sins ?
Secondly, how exactly does becoming a man and dying on the Cross remove sin from humanity ?
It's a non-sequitur because it has nothing to do with the other.

The reason I struggle with the Christian doctrine is it's not based on any logical sequence of necessities.
If God had no other way than through Jesus, that means there's something that God is subservient to.
And even if God chose Jesus as a method randomly, the act of dying on the Cross and forgiving those who sinned that believe it happened is not a logical sequitur. It's simply random links created by God without any true rhyme or reason.

If God is all powerful, why did God need to become a man and die on the Cross to forgive sins ?
Secondly, how exactly does becoming a man and dying on the Cross remove sin from humanity ?
For God so loved the world that when he realized he ****ed up, he tortured his son to death and never actually fixed the core problem.
So there are two possibilities here.

1. God is not actually very intelligent, and way less powerful than a God should be.
2. God doesn't exist. Man invented God to help explain things they couldn't understand, cope with death, and control their children just like they do with Santa Claus.

Crucifixion was the standard Roman method for imposing a death sentence. What is now Isreal was then a Roman province (though the Jews staged some truly spectacular uprisings). Jesus taught us how to pray. He moved us away from the 613 Commandments in the Hebrew Torah and simplified religion. And He removed Original Sin from the souls of humanity. To accomplish this He had to suffer and die. The suffering and death was carried out in accordance with the laws of that place and time.

Jesus taught us how to pray.
Pretty sure people were praying a long time before that. It's not that complicated.
He moved us away from the 613 Commandments in the Hebrew Torah
Wow, it must have been really hard for Moses to carry those tablets down the mountain. How come even the Jews only recognize 10?
and simplified religion.
So basically, some guy who was smarter than most realized that starting a newer and better cult, was the only way to save people from the most popular one of the day.
Why not make it even simpler? What's with all this going to church every Sunday and singing songs bullshit? Why can't we just have a glass of wine every night before bed and silently apologize for the shit we did that day?
And He removed Original Sin from the souls of humanity. To accomplish this He had to suffer and die.
Why though? Why not just snap his fingers instead? I mean if God can create the whole world in 7 days by waving his hands or whatever, it seems kind of stupid to torture your own son to death only to leave the overwhelming majority of human beings un-saved.
The suffering and death was carried out in accordance with the laws of that place and time.
So Jesus simplified religion by staging the most overly complicated and painfully unnecessary death of all time...?

If you start from the assumption that God is omnipotent then nothing is necessary except that which is deemed to be so by God. The crucifixion was a symbolic way of conveying that animal sacrifice was no longer required.

Pretty sure people were praying a long time before that. It's not that complicated.

Wow, it must have been really hard for Moses to carry those tablets down the mountain. How come even the Jews only recognize 10?

So basically, some guy who was smarter than most realized that starting a newer and better cult, was the only way to save people from the most popular one of the day.
Why not make it even simpler? What's with all this going to church every Sunday and singing songs bullshit? Why can't we just have a glass of wine every night before bed and silently apologize for the shit we did that day?

Why though? Why not just snap his fingers instead? I mean if God can create the whole world in 7 days by waving his hands or whatever, it seems kind of stupid to torture your own son to death only to leave the overwhelming majority of human beings un-saved.

So Jesus simplified religion by staging the most overly complicated and painfully unnecessary death of all time...?
Jesus was not really Gods son; he was god in the flesh. SO it's worse than what you were saying. God pretended to be Jesus and pretended to die. Of course that entire "why have you forsaken me" crap is a plot hole then. But yea Jesus was just gods avatar. YOLO!

I never cease to be amazed at how much energy people put into trying to dismiss and prove untrue a faith that they don't believe in.

Do these same people put as much energy into making sure that children don't believe in Santa? Or the tooth fairy?

What's the motivating factor? Boredom? Lack of creativity to think of anything better to do with their time? Wanting to feel smug or superior?

I just don't get it.

If you start from the assumption that God is omnipotent then nothing is necessary except that which is deemed to be so by God. The crucifixion was a symbolic way of conveying that animal sacrifice was no longer required.
So then why was it required in the first place? Was God just wrong about that? Why does being a God make someone so needy?

I would think that the pure and simple fact that something has "needs" would preclude you from being a God in the first place.

Like you said...
If you start from the assumption that God is omnipotent then nothing is necessary except that which is deemed to be so by God.
So if he's omnipotent then anything he needs he can just make happen with the snap of his fingers.

Actually, it can be very complicated. So Jesus taught us the Our Father. Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done. Don't pray for things you want, pray the Lord's will to triumph. Lots of people don't understand that.
Orthodox Jews recognize 613. Gentiles recognize 10.
Pretty much.
That's not religion. That's laziness.
Good point.
Well, considering God had a habit of wiping out cities, causing plagues, getting people lost in the desert for 40 years and swallowed by fish and such, one death to wipe out Original Sin ain't to bad. And as I said, the death and suffering was called for by the laws and customs of the times.

Actually, it can be very complicated. So Jesus taught us the Our Father. Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done. Don't pray for things you want, pray the Lord's will to triumph. Lots of people don't understand that.
Really? That's weird because almost every Christian in the world prays for things they actually want. So it doesn't really seem like anyone is getting that message.

More importantly, why would you need to pray for God's will to be done? Wouldn't he kind of already doing what he wants to do?
Orthodox Jews recognize 613. Gentiles recognize 10.
I see so if I read the story of Exodus in an Orthodox Jewish book Moses would have carried 123 tablets down from the mountain?
That's not religion. That's laziness.
Really? Because Orthodox Jews would likely say the same thing about Christians. So would most Catholics about other Christians.

What is the exact amount of difficulty a faith needs to have before you get to call it a Religion? And why did God change his mind?
Well, considering God had a habit of wiping out cities, causing plagues, getting people lost in the desert for 40 years and swallowed by fish and such, one death to wipe out Original Sin ain't to bad.
This guy sounds like a real piece of shit. You're making Satan sound like he's the George Washington of the Bible, but you're only being allowed to hear God's point of view.

I mean you ever notice how you never hear about a group of people murdering thousands of innocent people in the name of Satan do you? It's always in the name of God, right?
And as I said, the death and suffering was called for by the laws and customs of the times.
No, it was called for by God. There are a thousand different ways Jesus could have died. God could have done it with a lightning bolt or carbon monoxide poisoning. Or just not killed him at all. Let the people of the earth be free of original sin without having to be lucky enough to have heard who Jesus was, read the Bible, read the exact correct version of the Bible, and believed it all without evidence.

For God so loved the world that when he realized he ****ed up, he tortured his son to death and never actually fixed the core problem.
So there are two possibilities here.

1. God is not actually very intelligent, and way less powerful than a God should be.
2. God doesn't exist. Man invented God to help explain things they couldn't understand, cope with death, and control their children just like they do with Santa Claus.
Brutal.

I like it.

Considering that the "sacrifice" of Jesus was nothing like the prescribed "sacrifices" of the Jewish people, I'd say that the Greek writers didn't pay attention to the plot.

WHEN the perfect man Adam sinned, he lost the opportunity for everlasting life not only for himself but also for his future children. There was no excuse for what Adam did. His sin was deliberate. But what about his children? They had played no role in Adam’s sin. (Rom. 5:12, 14) Could anything be done to rescue them from the death sentence that their forefather so richly deserved? Yes! Soon after Adam sinned, Jehovah progressively revealed how he would rescue millions of Adam’s offspring from the curse of sin and death. (Gen. 3:15) At his appointed time, Jehovah would send his Son from heaven “to give his life as a ransom in exchange for many.”—Mark 10:45; John 6:51.

What is the ransom? When referred to in the Christian Greek Scriptures, the ransom is the price Jesus paid to buy back what Adam lost. (1 Cor. 15:22) Why do we need the ransom? Because Jehovah’s standard of justice as set out in the Law required that a life be given for a life. (Ex. 21:23, 24) Adam lost his perfect human life. To satisfy God’s justice, Jesus sacrificed his perfect human life. (Rom. 5:17) He thus becomes an “Eternal Father” to all those who exercise faith in the ransom.—Isa. 9:6; Rom. 3:23, 24.
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2021366?q=why+the+ransom&p=sen

The story of the cross is simply absurd. It's basically saying god needed a blood sacrifice (a common practice in some ancient cultures btw) to absolve sin because a supposedly omnipotent god could not simple snap his fingers and nullify sin outright. He was incapable of eliminating sin without infanticide. And that still didn't eliminate sin, as people are still able to "sin." God simply wasted his time and his "son" trying to absolve sin. Talk about poor planning.

The critique of this thread is focused on something called redemptive theology. Eastern Orthodox Christians like myself do not believe in this. I like to step careful in this line of discussion on forums because I tend to sound critical of Catholic/Protestant theology on this mark because I think they are so fundamentally wrong. The Eastern churches do not hold that Catholic/Protestants are "not Christian" and "going to hell", Orthodox theology doesn't work that way. We do view them as what we call "schismatic" meaning we believe their belief and practices are so fundamentally incorrect we cannot be in communion with them. We do not judge their relationship with God because that is never for us to judge, or any human.

I will summarize redemptive theology as this: Man is sinful, rejected God and was punished. We received God's justice, and the wages of sin are death. God doesn't want that for us, so he offers up Jesus to "pay the price" and redeem us.

This is a formula, and IMO it is not scriptural and is not the teachings of the holy Church as they were 2000 years ago. You can build an argument for redemptive theology from passages in the bible, but like many of the atheists on this board have noted, there is a lot of logical inconsistencies to that argument. The best way I have heard the Orthodox take on this explained is like this:

God gave us free will, and we rejected God. Innate to being given free will, was the certainty that we would use that free will to reject God. There is a divine purpose for us being given free will, and it is not necessarily understood (i.e. is a divine mystery.) By rejecting God, we actually rejected life. God is not vindictive or punishing, he never said "You must pay me in blood for your sins." Instead, he offered us a path back to him. He came to earth as a human, and taught us, and then he accepted death--just as all humans must. His death did not save us. To believe so, is to worship a "death God", which our God is not a death god. Salvation did not occur on the cross, it occurred on the third day, when Christ proved God's power over death by returning to life. Christ can be seen as a guide, he lived as a man on earth, he died as a man on earth, but he was reborn--this is promised to all of us if we keep the faith.

How then, do we address some biblical passages that use phrases like "ransom for death." Saint Gregory the Theologian, preaching in the 4th century, had this to say about it:

Now we are to examine another fact and dogma, neglected by most people, but in my judgment well worth enquiring into. To whom was that Blood offered that was shed for us, and why was It shed? I mean the precious and famous Blood of our God and High Priest and Sacrifice.

We were detained in bondage by the Evil One, sold under sin, and receiving pleasure in exchange for wickedness. Now, since a ransom belongs only to him who holds in bondage, I ask to whom was this offered, and for what cause?
If to the Evil One, fie upon the outrage! If the robber receives ransom, not only from God, but a ransom which consists of God Himself, and has such an illustrious payment for his tyranny, then it would have been right for him to have left us alone altogether!

But if to God the Father, I ask first, how? For it was not by Him that we were being oppressed. And next, on what principle did the Blood of His only-begotten Son delight the Father, who would not receive even Isaac, when he was being sacrificed by his father, [Abraham], but changed the sacrifice by putting a ram in the place of the human victim? (see Gen 22).

Is it not evident that the Father accepts Him, but neither asked for Him nor demanded Him; but on account of the incarnation, and because Humanity must be sanctified by the Humanity of God, that He might deliver us Himself, and overcome the tyrant [i.e., the devil] and draw us to Himself by the mediation of His Son who also arranged this to the honor of the Father, whom it is manifest He obeys in all things.

Note what Gregory says here--1600 years ago he was already aware of and countering some of the arguments made about redemptive theology that some of you have made in this thread. As Saint Gregory notes, the idea that he is paying Satan the ransom is entirely ridiculous, this would be akin to God paying a criminal, which God would never do.

Additionally, Gregory notes that God paying himself, makes no sense and is not in compliance with other things we know about God--for example God interceded to stop Abraham from sacrificing Isaac, because he would not actually make someone pay such a price to him.

Instead, the ransom is metaphorical, and denotes that God through his incarnation on earth as Christ has done everything necessary for our redemption--redemption is not our paying a sin wage, it is us moving on the path to closeness with God.

The story of the cross is simply absurd. It's basically saying god needed a blood sacrifice (a common practice in some ancient cultures btw) to absolve sin because a supposedly omnipotent god could not simple snap his fingers and nullify sin outright. He was incapable of eliminating sin without infanticide. And that still didn't eliminate sin, as people are still able to "sin." God simply wasted his time and his "son" trying to absolve sin. Talk about poor planning.
This post is so jacked up, I don't even know where to begin.

So we ignore the next line "Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses" because they are personal wants?
Incidentally, was there a huge trespassing problem back then? It gets two mentions in the same prayer! No mention of murder, but trespassing?

There is not forgiveness of sin without the spilling of blood.
He (Christ) was a perfect, sinless sacrifice. His sacrifice is propitiatory.
It's a non-sequitur because it has nothing to do with the other.
Not true. See above.
The reason I struggle with the Christian doctrine is it's not based on any logical sequence of necessities.
I don't think you're struggling with it, at all. You appear to have rejected it with little trouble.
If God had no other way than through Jesus, that means there's something that God is subservient to.
God is subservient to none. But He cannot change His nature. He is holy. As such, sin must be addressed in a manner satisfactory to Him as all sin is sin against the holy, infinite God.
And even if God chose Jesus as a method randomly...
Hardly random. The Passion of the Christ was foretold back at the Fall.
...the act of dying on the Cross and forgiving those who sinned that believe it happened is not a logical sequitur.
For you it's a non-sequitur. For Christians, this is hope. Not only are we forgiven when we believe but we are also made righteous by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.
It's simply random links created by God without any true rhyme or reason.
Actually, there is a lot going on here that you've not addressed.

Jesus's "sacrifice" did in no shape or form conform to the methods in which sacrifices were to be given and received. First and foremost, human sacrifice was practically eliminated when Yahweh stopped Abraham from sacrificing his son. A ram (I think, some similar animal) was provided in his place. From then on, sacrifices were of animals or sometimes even plant material, not humans. There is no indication in the Hebrew scriptures that the method of sacrifice would be changed (at least while still on earth). It appears that the Greek writers of the NT were not too familiar with the Hebrew scriptures, but knew enough to spin a narrative.

Of course, so much more of the supposed death on the cross was outside of prescribed sacrifice that it really could not be from the same Hebrew god.

Jesus's "sacrifice" did in no shape or form conform to the methods in which sacrifices were to be given and received. First and foremost, human sacrifice was practically eliminated when Yahweh stopped Abraham from sacrificing his son.
And yet God did not spare His own Son.
A ram (I think, some similar animal) was provided in his place. From then on, sacrifices were of animals or sometimes even plant material, not humans. There is no indication in the Hebrew scriptures that the method of sacrifice would be changed (at least while still on earth).
You are forgetting all the Old Testament prophecies that spoke about Christ and HIs sacrifice.
It appears that the Greek writers of the NT were not too familiar with the Hebrew scriptures, but knew enough to spin a narrative.
"The Greek writers of the NT were" Hebrew. Paul--who wrote most of the New Testament--was a "Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of the He-brews; concerning the law, a Pharisee; concerning zeal, persecuting the church; concerning the righteousness which is in the law, blameless." (Philippians 3: 5-6).

If anyone was familiar with the "Hebrew Scriptures" it was Paul.
Of course, so much more of the supposed death on the cross was outside of prescribed sacrifice that it really could not be from the same Hebrew god.
See above.

And yet God did not spare His own Son.

You are forgetting all the Old Testament prophecies that spoke about Christ and HIs sacrifice.

"The Greek writers of the NT were" Hebrew. Paul--who wrote most of the New Testament--was a "Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of the He-brews; concerning the law, a Pharisee; concerning zeal, persecuting the church; concerning the righteousness which is in the law, blameless." (Philippians 3: 5-6).

If anyone was familiar with the "Hebrew Scriptures" it was Paul.

See above.
I understand your answers (I was a Christian for 20 years), but I find them to be devoid of actual rebuttal.

Is that the prevailing belief? This seems to contradict the Bible.

John 3:16 (KJV)
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
God didn't become his own Son. He sent his only begotten Son... according to this myth.

Last edited:
You mean you can't offer a rebuttal?

Got it.

Have a nice day.
No, you have no rebuttal to that which I posted. What I said was accurate. You fell back on dogma not scriptural narrative.

There is not forgiveness of sin without the spilling of blood.
Ok. Now explain these verses:
Mark 1:4 (KJV)
John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.
Luke 3:3
And he came into all the country about Jordan, preaching the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins
No blood spilling in these verses. No mention of any crucifixion or even Jesus.

Back
Top Bottom