• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Virginia is set to remove Richmond's Lee statue on Wednesday

RaleBulgarian

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
“A towering statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee in Richmond, Virginia, is expected to be taken down on Wednesday as a symbol of racial injustice, more than 130 years after it was erected in tribute to the South’s Civil War leader.

While many other Confederate symbols across the South have been removed without public announcements beforehand to avoid unruly crowds, Gov. Ralph Northam's office is expecting a multitude and plans to livestream the event on social media.”

About f’n time! 👏

“A towering statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee in Richmond, Virginia, is expected to be taken down on Wednesday as a symbol of racial injustice, more than 130 years after it was erected in tribute to the South’s Civil War leader.

While many other Confederate symbols across the South have been removed without public announcements beforehand to avoid unruly crowds, Gov. Ralph Northam's office is expecting a multitude and plans to livestream the event on social media.”

About f’n time! 👏
And will that solve a single problem? Will it change anyting?

Good. Treasonous losers don't deserve participation trophies. He fought against the US in an attempt to enslave his fellow his man beings. **** him.

Sure, it will solve the problem that they were publicly glorifying a treasonous asshole that fought against the US which lead to the deaths of a million Americans.

If people want to know about Robert E. Lee they can open a history book or visit a museum. There's no reason to have a traitor glorified in the public square. Melt this statue down and turn it into something more fitting of history, like a Harriet Tubman statue. Or sell the bronze and use the proceeds to help fight inner city poverty.

Good. Treasonous losers don't deserve participation trophies. He fought against the US in an attempt to enslave his fellow his man beings. **** him.

Sure, it will solve the problem that they were publicly glorifying a treasonous asshole that fought against the US which lead to the deaths of a million Americans.

If people want to know about Robert E. Lee they can open a history book or visit a museum. There's no reason to have a traitor glorified in the public square. Melt this statue down and turn it into something more fitting of history, like a Harriet Tubman statue. Or sell the bronze and use the proceeds to help fight inner city poverty.
I don't have a dog in the fight but I think the voters ought to get to decide these issues and not a judge or a few people. Hiding history is a bad idea. A museum is a more proper solution.

Last edited:
I don't have a dog in the fight but I think the voters ought to get to decide these issues and not a judge or a few people.
Why? The construction of these statues wasn't voted on, why should it require a vote to remove?

Do you think Germany was erasing history by removing their Hitler statues? Do you think they should've been kept up forever?

Why? The construction of these statues wasn't voted on, why should it require a vote to remove?

Do you think Germany was erasing history by removing their Hitler statues? Do you think they should've been kept up forever?
Because once up, they are part of the public domain. I don't much care what Germany did with their statues, but in my opinion history is to be kept and studied for numerous reasons.

About f’n time! 👏

Governor "Black Face" has had a lot to answer for from his own yearbook pictures.
190201_wn_kerley_631_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg

He takes down a statue, and all of a sudden he's the left's idea of virtue now?

Because once up, they are part of the public domain. I don't much care what Germany did with their statues, but in my opinion history is to be kept and studied for numerous reasons.
That's not how laws work. If an asshole puts a statue up it doesn't magically become public domain. Cry harder.

You need a statue to remember the civil war? Most of those were put up in the 1960s, not exactly relics from after the war.

Why do we need a statue of Lee anywhere in this nation? (BTW, history is taught.)

About f’n time! 👏
The most glorified Traitor Against the United States in our history.

Imagine being a black child and knowing that the city you're growing up in keeps such an adulatory monument to a man who fought to preserve your ancestors' slavery.

Governor "Black Face" has had a lot to answer for from his own yearbook pictures.
View attachment 67352721

Not ideal, but removing a statue of the man who fought to preserve slavery helps to illustrates his true feelings on racism.

And now they are out of the public domain

He piss poorly did his worst to explain it when it came up in 2019.
I tried finding that press conference video and it's gone. Now all I can find is news clips with bobbleheads talking about the press conference but not the press conference itself. Those news clips are the bane of the internet.

I tried finding that press conference video and it's gone. Now all I can find is news clips with bobbleheads talking about the press conference but not the press conference itself. Those news clips are the bane of the internet.

There's an imbedded video of him "explaining" things.
I live in VA, and the way he handled this was not good at all.

View attachment 67352721

Piss poor deflection attempt fail.

Northam is irrelevant to the rightful removal of the Lee monument.

I know I would feel better not having to walk passed a monument commemorating the enslavement of my family.

I don't have a dog in the fight but I think the voters ought to get to decide these issues and not a judge or a few people. Hiding history is a bad idea. A museum is a more proper solution.
Nobody’s “hiding history”. An incredibly disingenuous and stupid notion.

Back
Top Bottom