• We will be taking the forum down for maintenance at [3:30 PM CDT] - in 25 minutes. We should be down less than 1 hour.
  • This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Video shows Black player forced to sit near banana peels

Peter King

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
A Black football player at a northwest Illinois high school is seen on video sitting down in a locker littered with banana peels after a teammate threatens to break his knees if he doesn’t comply.

Moline Police Chief Darren Gault called the incident at Moline High School a “disturbing racist scene.” Detectives interviewed student athletes, coaches and staff members over the weekend and turned their findings over to prosecutors, Gault said.

The investigation centers on an 11-second video clip in which another player, whose hand can be seen but face doesn’t appear, threatens the Black player to sit in the locker “or I’ll break both your knees.” When the player sits down, others can be heard shouting, “Yeah!”

Gault said the investigation determined the people involved were teammates “of both different and similar races to the victim.” He also said all players involved have been identified.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/video-shows-black-player-forced-sit-banana-peels-rcna669

this is just despicable, will people never learn?

This is despicable. They should expel everyone on the team and cancel the football program. Its the only rational response.

Who the victim claims is abusing him is people such as the OPer.

“I want to make it known that I’m fine," the student said. "Everyone is worried about me and showing concern for me and I really appreciate it. Second, can everyone please stop talking about the incident and video? I understand everyone wants justice for me and they want what they think is right to be done, but I already made my feelings known to the police and my friends about how I feel about everything. I love the football team I’m on and they’re good guys. I know that personally. I talked to the people involved individually and they apologized. We had a heartfelt talk about it and I told them how I felt. So please don’t harass, bully, or threaten them at all. Lastly, I want to get my life back together, and my student-athlete life back on track, so if you do ever see me or know who I am, treat me as a human first, not a victim.”

Obviously the OPer totally disagrees and refuses to respect the victim's rights or honor his request for his privacy to be respected in his message. It is such as the OPer who is most victimizing him - and in racial terms. I bet the OPer is a white man.

“I want to make it known that I’m fine," the student said. "Everyone is worried about me and showing concern for me and I really appreciate it. Second, can everyone please stop talking about the incident and video? I understand everyone wants justice for me and they want what they think is right to be done, but I already made my feelings known to the police and my friends about how I feel about everything. I love the football team I’m on and they’re good guys. I know that personally. I talked to the people involved individually and they apologized. We had a heartfelt talk about it and I told them how I felt. So please don’t harass, bully, or threaten them at all. Lastly, I want to get my life back together, and my student-athlete life back on track, so if you do ever see me or know who I am, treat me as a human first, not a victim.”

Obviously the OPer totally disagrees and refuses to respect the victim's rights or honor his request for his privacy to be respected in his message. It is such as the OPer who is most victimizing him - and in racial terms. I bet the OPer is a white man.

Yeah, like he truly is going to say something else. And the OP'er? I am just reporting the story, I have not written this story last time I checked.

This is despicable. They should expel everyone on the team and cancel the football program. Its the only rational response.

Will that help the young kid who was victimized? Nope, do an awareness program with some black American football player in combination with a white American football player about how that is not how teammates treat each other.

I'm sorry, but you just do not do this to people.

It's sickening.

Earlier today, I read this in disbelief.

I guess we can dispense with the Right Wing nonsense that the only racism remaining today is something experienced by whites.

Says that both black and White players were tormenting the kid, both.
Are the black ones "racist" too? Or is that just the White ones?

Are we sure this isnt more of a case of a bunch of jocks, black & White, tormenting the "weird" kid?
I dunno.

Just close the entire school. RACIAL JUSTICE!!! :rolleyes:

This is plain despicable. We need to really work on addressing hazing and bullying within our schools.

That being said, this sounds like a horrible hazing incident, not something to do with race.

Will that help the young kid who was victimized? Nope, do an awareness program with some black American football player in combination with a white American football player about how that is not how teammates treat each other.
We have to punish the racists to send a message to all the other racists that we will not tolerate them.

This is plain despicable. We need to really work on addressing hazing and bullying within our schools.

That being said, this sounds like a horrible hazing incident, not something to do with race.

That's another way progressive Democrats tend to really victimize people, particularly blacks. Despite his begging people not to, their posting basically billboards of with is name and picture, with big read letters cross his picture reading "Black Victim." The Democratic Party will victimize blacks using them for their own power and goals.

There was and is NOTHING that can prevent many Democrats from branding him for as life as most known online and in his community as "the black victim" - the 15 minutes of fame he can not stop many Democrats forcing upon him. They do not hesitate to victimize that black teenager 100 times more than the coach - and to permanent brand and harm him.

I have no doubt you want that "black victim" totally destroyed. You're a white man, aren't you?

That's another way progressive Democrats tend to really victimize people, particularly blacks. Despite his begging people not to, their posting basically billboards of with is name and picture, with big read letters cross his picture reading "Black Victim." The Democratic Party will victimize blacks using them for their own power and goals.

There was and is NOTHING that can prevent many Democrats from branding him for as life as most known online and in his community as "the black victim" - the 15 minutes of fame he can not stop many Democrats forcing upon him. They do not hesitate to victimize that black teenager 100 times more than the coach - and to permanent brand and harm him.
"Many Democrats"? As for the Democratic Party, can you point out where Democratic candidates, politicians are using this incident to push him as a victim? I realize that some people on the left certainly do this, but I can't find any information about the Democratic Party doing it for this specific case.

We have to punish the racists to send a message to all the other racists that we will not tolerate them.

These are kids, they have to be taught to think differently. To teach them the error of their ways or else this story will only have just victims.

"Many Democrats"? As for the Democratic Party, can you point out where Democratic candidates, politicians are using this incident to push him as a victim? I realize that some people on the left certainly do this, but I can't find any information about the Democratic Party doing it for this specific case.

I'm looking who is posting what on this thread.

Who is making all the noise about this is the Democratic mayor.

She is a Democrat as is control of the city and school board being Democratic. https://www.facebook.com/pg/RICountyDemocrats/posts/

She doesn't give a damn what the black teenager wants. She can score political points by victimizing him - so she does so whatever the cost to him. He's just dirt under her Democratic feet to get to what she wants.

wow defintiely dispecable

bullying like this needs dealt with and dealt with immediately

the reality is this kid doesnt get to write it off
unless theres a shit ton of context we are missing its wrong plan and simple

similar to when battered women say its fine, or raped or sexually assaulted people say its ok . . .while things can be done to respect their wishes, the act should not be swept under the rug and ignored.

I'm looking who is posting what on this thread.

Who is making all the noise about this is the Democratic mayor.

She is a Democrat as is control of the city and school board being Democratic. https://www.facebook.com/pg/RICountyDemocrats/posts/

She doesn't give a damn what the black teenager wants. She can score political points by victimizing him - so she does so whatever the cost to him. He's just dirt under her Democratic feet to get to what she wants.
So you say she is "making all the noise" about this, yet you only post to the town's Facebook page, which doesn't support that, doesn't have anything about this incident on it.

In fact, her public statement doesn't mention race at all.

"Mayor-elect Sangeetha Rayapati, who is also the school board chair, issued a statement late Friday night, saying adults have "a responsibility to hold individuals involved in this incident accountable."
"I speak from the heart when I say we have a responsibility to teach them a better way. It’s awful to know a child was treated that way. It’s awful to know that that child will be marked forever by the incident and the disrespect they received. And it’s awful to know other children would see this as a joke," she said."

So you say she is "making all the noise" about this, yet you only post to the town's Facebook page, which doesn't support that, doesn't have anything about this incident on it.

Read the link of the OP and then get back to me.

Read the link of the OP and then get back to me.
I did. Where exactly does the mayor mention the race of the student? Or racism being the issue? Where is she making a big deal about this based on race or racism?

I did. Where exactly does the mayor mention the race of the student? Or racism being the issue? Where is she making a big deal about this based on race or racism?
Race was already in it. She ignored his request to drop it and instead made a press statement - both the mayor-elect and the head of the school board.

Back
Top Bottom