• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Vatican signs first treaty with 'State of Palestine', Israel angered

Status
Not open for further replies.

DA60

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
'The Vatican signed its first treaty with the "State of Palestine" on Friday, calling for "courageous decisions" to end the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and backing a two-state solution.

The treaty, which made official the Vatican's de facto recognition of Palestine since 2012, angered Israel, which called it "a hasty step (that) damages the prospects for advancing a peace agreement".

Israel also said it could have implications on its future diplomatic relations with the Vatican.

The accord, which concerns the Catholic Church's activities in areas controlled by the Palestinian Authority, also confirmed the Vatican's increasingly proactive role in foreign policy under Pope Francis. Last year, it brokered the historic resumption of ties between the United States and Cuba.'

Vatican signs first treaty with 'State of Palestine', Israel angered | Reuters

And slowly the world starts to close in on Israel and force them to finally let the Palestinians go.

I have said it before, though I am not religious at ALL, I like this Pope (on many things as well as this).

He ain't perfect, but as Pope's go, he is awesome (imo).

'The Vatican signed its first treaty with the "State of Palestine" on Friday, calling for "courageous decisions" to end the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and backing a two-state solution.

The treaty, which made official the Vatican's de facto recognition of Palestine since 2012, angered Israel, which called it "a hasty step (that) damages the prospects for advancing a peace agreement".

Israel also said it could have implications on its future diplomatic relations with the Vatican.

The accord, which concerns the Catholic Church's activities in areas controlled by the Palestinian Authority, also confirmed the Vatican's increasingly proactive role in foreign policy under Pope Francis. Last year, it brokered the historic resumption of ties between the United States and Cuba.'

And slowly the world starts to close in on Israel and force them to finally let the Palestinians go.

I have said it before, though I am not religious at ALL, I like this Pope (on many things as well as this).

Well, he has no skin in the game. It is easy to be irresponsible and take sides, when it isn't you that will pay the bill.

Heya DA. :2wave: Tell the Palestinians all that they need do is become the 161st to recognize Israel.

Some 135 members of the United Nations recognize Palestine, nearly 70 percent of the total. By comparison, 160 of the UN's 193 members recognize Israel.

Maybe the Pope could take some time out of his schedule, and head up some negotiations. See if that leads to the 2 state solution.

The European Union as a whole does not recognize Palestine, taking the same view as the United States that an independent country can emerge only via negotiations with Israel, not through a process of unilateral recognition.

Of course, this was explained to the Palestinians. Shouldn't be that difficult for them to do, Right?

The Pope hopes that kissing arab's asses would stop the slaughtering of Christians in muslim countries.
What's important is to believe in.

Well, he has no skin in the game. It is easy to be irresponsible and take sides, when it isn't you that will pay the bill.
Yeah, and the Vatican is very well known for never paying for anything.

Heya DA. :2wave: Tell the Palestinians all that they need do is become the 161st to recognize Israel.

Heya MMC :2wave:

This is not about recognizing a country...this is about letting people become one.

The Palestinians are occupied by Israel...so they cannot become a country until Israel lets them go.

Israel is already a country and they are free. Who cares whether the Palestinians recognize them or not? And, even so, that does not give you the right to occupy and control people against their will forever.

No offense, but I am not going to debate this...Israel has no right to occupy and control the Palestinians...period. And there is no international law that says they do.

The Israeli's should let them go.

And even the Vatican agrees.

This is not about recognizing a country...this is about letting people become one.

The Palestinians are occupied by Israel...so they cannot become a country until Israel lets them go.

Israel is already a country and they are free. Who cares whether the Palestinians recognize them or not? And, even so, that does not give you the right to occupy and control people against their will forever.

No offense, but I am not going to debate this...Israel has no right to occupy and control the Palestinians...period. And there is no international law that says they do.

When you have a people that refuse to live in peace with another group of people, and are out talking about wiping them off the face of the earth or driving them off of their land. Refuse to acknowledge their Right to exist. Making statements publicly like these.....then it is a bit more complicated than creating a new state. Wouldn't you say?

Naturally directly negotiating needs to take place. When do you think the Palestinians will start doing that?

When they have their own sovereign state. Is that what is being offered by Israel?

They don't need a sovereign state to negotiate. Did the Palestinians decide if they want to come back to the table, yet?

They don't need a sovereign state to negotiate. Did the Palestinians decide if they want to come back to the table, yet?
In the two-state solution, is Israel offering a sovereign state to the Palestinians?

Israel has a right to occupy the land due to security reasoning. As long as Palestinian terrorism continues it has the right to maintain that occupation since it saves innocents' lives from Palestinian terrorism. Israel doesn't need to "let them go", the Palestinian leaderships need to put a stop to terrorism in Gaza and the West Bank and reach an agreement with Israel so to end the conflict once and for all. Unfortunately the two different Palestinian leaderships and the previous one (Arafat's) had no intention to do so. Unfortunately there were no elections in the Palestinian territories since those two parties came to power and leaders that actually intend on creating a Palestinian state and ending the conflict cannot take the place of the current extremist Palestinian leadership. The Palestinian leadership's declared intention to never recognize the Jewish state's existence and lay down the false claims it makes to the lands that are Israeli-owned (e.g. the third-biggest Israeli city of Haifa) is the clearest evidence that this leadership is seeking the destruction of a state and not the forming of one and is why anyone who promotes peace strongly opposes it.

Those who support one-sided solutions like the Vatican in this case do nothing but promote violations of human rights, atrocities and bloodshed. Only by supporting the negotiations between the two parties one is making his voice for peace.

When you have a people that refuse to live in peace with another group of people, and are out talking about wiping them off the face of the earth or driving them off of their land. Refuse to acknowledge their Right to exist. Making statements publicly like these.....then it is a bit more complicated than creating a new state. Wouldn't you say?

Naturally directly negotiating needs to take place. When do you think the Palestinians will start doing that?
you just described the actions of the israeli government against the Palestinian people

you just described the actions of the israeli government against the Palestinian people

:shrug: Sounds to me like the actions of both to me. :shrug: From what I've seen neither side is willing to give even an inch.

MMC had described the actions of Palestinian leaderships that are refusing to recognize Israel's Jewish character because that would mean recognizing that another people are controlling a state in the area and thus put an end to the claim made by the Palestinians to Israeli territory and thus ending the main part of the conflict.
Not once had the Palestinian leadership made a sound argument as to why it is not willing to recognize the Jewish identity of the state of Israel, and this says all that is needed to be said about their true intentions.
The actions of the state of Israel are completely the opposite.

In the two-state solution, is Israel offering a sovereign state to the Palestinians?

Seems they can't offer anything if the Palestinians don't even have the brain capacity to figure out, that in order to negotiate. They must show up to the table to talk.

Getting out in front of the cameras and whining and crying while supporting Terrorists, doesn't help their case.

The Pope hopes that kissing arab's asses would stop the slaughtering of Christians in muslim countries.
What's important is to believe in.

We're talking about Israel / Palestine

Before the implementation of the "Kill or Expel" Plan Dalet" by invading, Foreign Zionist Terrorist Gangs, there were over 70,000 Christians in Palestine"

The first, accurate census shows that even after decades of Jewish immigration, Muslims still comprised the majority population:

PALESTINE.
REPORT ON
PALESTINE ADMINISTRATION, 1922.
http://unispal.un.org/UNISPAL.NSF/0/A682CABF7...
XVI.--CENSUS.
Moslems .......... 590,890
Jews .......... 83,794
Christians .......... 73,024
Druzes .......... 7,028
Samaritans .......... 163
Bahais .......... 265
Metawallis .......... 156
Hindoos .......... 1,454
Sikhs .......... 408

It isn't Palestine's Arabs who are hostile to Regional Christians

“Settler Rabbi publishes “The complete guide to killing non-Jews” —*UPDATED”
Settler Rabbi publishes “The complete guide to killing non-Jews” — UPDATED | Coteret

“CRIMES AGAINST CHRISTIANITY”
http://www.jerusalemites.org/crimes/crimes_against_christianity/index.htm

Mornin JB. :2wave: Can you show me where the Israelis have stated that they want the Palestinians wiped off the face of the earth? That they have no Right to exist?

Seems they can't offer anything if the Palestinians don't even have the brain capacity to figure out, that in order to negotiate. They must show up to the table to talk.
So, to the best of your knowledge, Netanyahu has not said anything that would give the distinct impression that he would not allow a sovereign state of Palestine?

So, to the best of your knowledge, Netanyahu has not said anything that would give the distinct impression that he would not allow a sovereign state of Palestine?

Was Netanyahu in direct talks with the Palestinians? As I know he had to hear what Hamas said on the 18th of June, this year.

Hamas Official: Armed Resistance Against Israel is Not Negotiable.....

Armed resistance is not a political issue that may be negotiated, said al-Zahhar in a meeting organized by Hamas and the Islamic Jihad in Khan Younis City on Sunday to commemorate the day Jerusalem was occupied.

“It is neither a controversial, nor a negotiable issue; it is, rather, dogmatic fundamental cause in struggle with Israel,” said al-Zahhar, referring to armed resistance, pointing out that Israel has long sought to erase the Palestinian constants, concerning the Palestinian lands, Jerusalem and Al-Aqsa Mosque.

Al-Zahhar stressed that the Islamic Resistance Movement (Hamas) refuses a Palestinian state within the 1967 or 1948 territories, saying “Our policy is Palestine, all of Palestine”. He explained that Palestine as a whole is a part of the Islamic dogma that is derived from the Holy Qura’an......snip~

Hamas Official: Armed Resistance Against Israel is Not Negotiable | The Tower

Was Netanyahu in direct talks with the Palestinians? As I know he had to hear what Hamas said on the 18th of June.

Hamas Official: Armed Resistance Against Israel is Not Negotiable.....

Armed resistance is not a political issue that may be negotiated, said al-Zahhar in a meeting organized by Hamas and the Islamic Jihad in Khan Younis City on Sunday to commemorate the day Jerusalem was occupied.

“It is neither a controversial, nor a negotiable issue; it is, rather, dogmatic fundamental cause in struggle with Israel,” said al-Zahhar, referring to armed resistance, pointing out that Israel has long sought to erase the Palestinian constants, concerning the Palestinian lands, Jerusalem and Al-Aqsa Mosque.

Al-Zahhar stressed that the Islamic Resistance Movement (Hamas) refuses a Palestinian state within the 1967 or 1948 territories, saying “Our policy is Palestine, all of Palestine”. He explained that Palestine as a whole is a part of the Islamic dogma that is derived from the Holy Qura’an......snip~

Hamas Official: Armed Resistance Against Israel is Not Negotiable | The Tower

Greetings, MMC. :2wave:

"Armed resistance against Israel is not negotiable?" What arrogant cheek! :thumbdown: I suggest that Hamas spokesman Al-Zahhar's argument and threats should be with the UN General Assembly, who gave Israel the land in 1948 by a 67 percent majority vote! Israel didn't get to pick and choose what land they would occupy - they accepted the swampy bit of nearly worthless land they were offered, and by hard work for many years made it a good place to live. Maybe Palestine should direct their energies towards improving the land they occupy instead of being envious of the land Israel has! The land I live on has belonged to many different people before I ever bought it and moved there - does that mean I should leave now because someone who lived there 80 years ago wants it, and has threatened to kill me if I don't? Riiight - that should sound logical and fair to me in what universe? :2mad:!

Greetings, MMC. :2wave:

"Armed resistance against Israel is not negotiable?" What arrogant cheek! :thumbdown: I suggest that Hamas spokesman Al-Zahhar's argument and threats should be with the UN General Assembly, who gave Israel the land in 1948 by a 67 percent majority vote! Israel didn't get to pick and choose what land they would occupy - they accepted the swampy bit of nearly worthless land they were offered, and by hard work for many years made it a good place to live. Maybe Palestine should direct their energies towards improving the land they occupy instead of being envious of the land Israel has! The land I live on has belonged to many different people before I ever bought it and moved there - does that mean I should leave now because someone who lived there 80 years ago wants it, and has threatened to kill me if I don't? Riiight - that should sound logical and fair to me in what universe? :2mad:!

Yep Lady P.
hat.gif
Hamas has no trouble saying it.....Loud and Proud!

Greetings, DA60. :2wave:

Whatever happened to the separation of church and state? Does our government tell the Pope what he should do - it should work both ways, you know. It was Pope Pius XII who maintained neutrality during the Nazi occupation of Rome during WW2, which was the correct thing for the church to do, and as a result, they were able to save many lives by providing humanitarian aid. The Pope should deal with religious, not political problems, because we've got more than enough politicians running around in this world, but there is only one Pope at a time, and the Israeli/Hamas problem is political. Should the Baptists, Evangelicals, Presbyterians or any other church, have a say in our foreign policy? If yes, why, and if no, why not?

I do NOT like this pope, or this Vatican. Karol Józef Wojtyła otherwise known as St John Paul II was crucial in the fall of Russian communism, Pope John XXIII was instrumental in the early nuclear disarmament movement.....neither made it a PR campaign, in fact much of the world has little knowledge of the risks John Paul took.

This guy is a news release a week. We hear him on about civil rights in Africa, then yet another condemnation of Bishops who hide sex offenders, the 123rd since the 80's. he upbraids cartoonists for making fun of Islam, after they're dead, then calls for a UN backed international war against Islamic terror the day after he learns the bastards on are his doorstep 300 miles away in Libya.

The sex abuse has gone on long enough, some priests have to go to prison and never be priests again. Until then his press release Papacy is nothing but smoke and mirrors designed to make the church "relevant" again, something they have been failing at since Kumbaya was penned

Greetings, DA60. :2wave:

Whatever happened to the separation of church and state? Does our government tell the Pope what he should do - it should work both ways, you know. It was Pope Pius XII who maintained neutrality during the Nazi occupation of Rome during WW2, which was the correct thing for the church to do, and as a result, they were able to save many lives by providing humanitarian aid. The Pope should deal with religious, not political problems, because we've got more than enough politicians running around in this world, but there is only one Pope at a time, and the Israeli/Hamas problem is political. Should the Baptists, Evangelicals, Presbyterians or any other church, have a say in our foreign policy? If yes, why, and if no, why not?

Agreed all, except "church" matters. This Papacy must deal with humanitarian issues; it is not enough to send missionaries, but time to pressure some of the more criminal regimes around the world. This is headline hunting, this gets news and shows a pope "in touch" the affairs of the world. Rescuing Jews from Nazi's or the modern equivalent is not a headline.

The headline that will make Roman Catholicism relevant for me is the one that reads: "Pope excommunicates 227 priests as a "beginning", asks for forgiveness. No other institution would be able to go on this long covering up sex crimes

The church preaches humility through penance, where is that of his priests and bishops?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom