• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

VAT tax?

RightinNYC

Girthless
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
I'm curious to hear the prevailing opinions on the pros and cons, as well as the viability, of implementing a VAT tax here in America, either to supplement or replace income taxes.

Any takers?

If I knew what a VAT tax was I might. My preference would be a flat tax, or use tax for people earning over 50 or 70 k

Squawker said:
If I knew what a VAT tax was I might. My preference would be a flat tax, or use tax for people earning over 50 or 70 k

Value Added Tax (VAT) is a general consumption tax assessed on the value added to goods and services.

It is a general tax that applies, in principle, to all commercial activities involving the production and distribution of goods and the provision of services. It is a consumption tax because it is borne ultimately by the final consumer. It is not a charge on companies. It is charged as a percentage of price, which means that the actual tax burden is visible at each stage in the production and distribution chain. It is collected fractionally, via a system of deductions whereby taxable persons (i.e., VAT-registered businesses) can deduct from their VAT liability the amount of tax they have paid to other taxable persons on purchases for their business activities.

I have a sub-chapter S Corp. Why might I want a VAT instead?

Back
Top Bottom