• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US withdrawling negotiation over Pakistani NATO supply line

anatta

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Pakistan banned trucks from carrying supplies to the war effort in Afghanistan last year in protest against a cross-border NATO air attack that killed 24 Pakistani soldiers, a measure U.S. officials initially hoped would be short term.
"We have longer-term interests that we must keep in mind. The interests are nuclear, it is counterterrorism and it is also reconciliation in Afghanistan for a relatively peaceful and stable region," said the U.S. official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Pakistan, for its part, is demanding an apology from the United States over the NATO strike, but it is unlikely to get one.
The NATO strike fanned national anger over everything from covert CIA drone strikes to the U.S. incursion into Pakistan last year to kill al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, and the supply routes evolved into a lightning-rod issue.
Pakistan Nato Routes Row: Pakistan Should 'Bite The Bullet,' U.S. Official Says

This has been going on for months, there is a rise of a political party that is based on anti-droning. Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI),

Q. How in the hell are we supposed to partner with a security pact, with Afg. if we can't resolve basic Paki issues??
A. We can't - so just get out NOW

If the US is dumb enough to send billions in aid to Pakistan, knowing that they harbored UBL, and have imprisoned the doctor who helped confirm that for us, then Pakistan (reasonably) assumes that anything is possible.

If the US is dumb enough to send billions in aid to Pakistan, knowing that they harbored UBL, and have imprisoned the doctor who helped confirm that for us, then Pakistan (reasonably) assumes that anything is possible.

Anything is possible because anything is better than another North Korea.

as you know the aid is/has been on going, what i REALLY STUPID is relying on Pakistan in any type of partnership to help secure Afg. stability..

Paki supposedly tries to check the "tribals" (Waziristan), but has problems with the Taliban all over the country. (Karachi/Lahore).

I don't think I could imagine a worse outcome to the Afghan-Pakistan situation than it is right now.

as you know the aid is/has been on going, what i REALLY STUPID is relying on Pakistan in any type of partnership to help secure Afg. stability..

Paki supposedly tries to check the "tribals" (Waziristan), but has problems with the Taliban all over the country. (Karachi/Lahore).

What's really stupid is thinking we can ignore the situation and things will get better.

Party of the reasoning is that there is that we don't want Islamist taking over the Pakistan Government (and their nukes). Now you will say (and rightly so) that there are large parts of the government (including the ISI) that has been supporting these radical Islamist. And you're right... I don't know what one could really do to fix things is the most depressing thing.

What's really stupid is thinking we can ignore the situation and things will get better.

Is there really a whole lot we can do that would help things?

What? That's ridiculous.

Afghanistan is still a mess, and nation building has been an abysmal failure by anyone's account. We've got Pakistan indirectly supporting a lot of these radical islamist groups through the ISI... can we really consider Pakistan an ally at this point?

Party of the reasoning is that there is that we don't want Islamist taking over the Pakistan Government (and their nukes). Now you will say (and rightly so) that there are large parts of the government (including the ISI) that has been supporting these radical Islamist. And you're right... I don't know what one could really do to fix things is the most depressing thing.

I'm fine with continuing the aid, the problem is any reliance on Pakistan for anything. Send them the ISI bribe money, and get out of the region

I'm fine with continuing the aid, the problem is any reliance on Pakistan for anything. Send them the ISI bribe money, and get out of the region

Are we better off because of it? Is our only recourse at this point to keep paying their bribe so they won't turn on us? Cause if it is, then it's kind of depressing. We wouldn't have to be launching all these drone strikes if Pakistan would actually get into the region and do their part. Or what about dealing with the blocked supply lines? And if we really thought we could trust them, they would of been brought in on the UBL raid.

Are we better off because of it? Is our only recourse at this point to keep paying their bribe so they won't turn on us? Cause if it is, then it's kind of depressing. We wouldn't have to be launching all these drone strikes if Pakistan would actually get into the region and do their part. Or what about dealing with the blocked supply lines? And if we really thought we could trust them,
they would of been brought in on the UBL raid.
our ONLY interest is in keeping Paki a non-Islamic regime. Even that is not a big deal, but recall they do have nukes -and they are fanatical enough to possibly use them.

They make Iran look like "soft kitty" - (Big Bang Theory). They regurally kill their candidates, and PM's.

A blood thirsty bunch, so I'm fine with paying ANYTHING to keep them checked by their ISI

Back
Top Bottom