• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US Okinawa base to be relocated.

Higgins86

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
BBC News - Japan Okinawa leader approves US airbase relocation

Wow I didn't think they would ever make a breakthrough with this, but will this be enough for the local residents who wanted the base moved completely off the island? interesting move from Hirokazu Nakaima who ran his last election opposing the relocation of the base, seems he agreed to a new base after a meeting with the Japanese Prime Minister and you after to wonder how much pressure did the US put on Japanese government to get this done?

Wow I didn't think they would ever make a breakthrough with this, but will this be enough for the local residents who wanted the base moved completely off the island? interesting move from Hirokazu Nakaima who ran his last election opposing the relocation of the base, seems he agreed to a new base after a meeting with the Japanese Prime Minister and you after to wonder how much pressure did the US put on Japanese government to get this done?

Why do you think pressure would be required? It is very much in Japanese self interest that the USA be an ally present and visible. The last thing they could want at this point would be a signal to China that they stand alone on the battlefield now forming.

Why do you think pressure would be required? It is very much in Japanese self interest that the USA be an ally present and visible. The last thing they could want at this point would be a signal to China that they stand alone on the battlefield now forming.

Why do I think pressure was applied? Maybe has something to do with the fact the governor of the island ran his last election against the relocation of the base and then after a last minute meeting with the Japanese Prime minister he agrees to the relocation? Seems to me like he was pushed into it especially given the fact the later told a news conference that he would continue pressing to move the Futenma troops off Okinawa entirely.

Its actually kind of sad. The majority of the aid that came into the country after the big earthquake and tsunami came thru the military bases in Japan. They also provide a much needed deterent against the Chinese. So basically the japanese people are telling us that we are good enough to help them when they need it, but not good enough to live among them. I loved Japan when I was there but it just seems like a stab in the back. If it were not for the affinity I have for the Japanese people, I would be tempted to tell them that if our protection is not good enough to allow us to live among them, then we should just pack up and leave them to their fate.

Its actually kind of sad. The majority of the aid that came into the country after the big earthquake and tsunami came thru the military bases in Japan. They also provide a much needed deterent against the Chinese. So basically the japanese people are telling us that we are good enough to help them when they need it, but not good enough to live among them. I loved Japan when I was there but it just seems like a stab in the back. If it were not for the affinity I have for the Japanese people, I would be tempted to tell them that if our protection is not good enough to allow us to live among them, then we should just pack up and leave them to their fate.

Isn't this really more an Okinawan attitude and not that of Japan in general?

I think it has more to do with the way some of the Marines have conducted themselves on night outs etc.

Isn't this really more an Okinawan attitude and not that of Japan in general?

Generally yes. Okinawa is a different animal then mainland Japan. It could almost be its own country due to the differences between mainland Japan and Okinawa. However, to ignore the obvious advantages of having a US military base on your doorstep after such a disaster as the Eartquake and Tsunami I think is just ignorant.

I think it has more to do with the way some of the Marines have conducted themselves on night outs etc.

I don't think their intentions are as innocent as that. They use the small amount of crime that does occur as an argument to remove them from the area when that is not the real reason they don't want them there. It is the only reason they can attach any legitimacy to. Or at least spin to make it sound legitimate. The truth is, the surrounding area crime rates are much higher then crime that comes from the base itself. If they were to dispel the major source of crime, they would be dispelling themselves and leaving the base where it is.

Why do I think pressure was applied? Maybe has something to do with the fact the governor of the island ran his last election against the relocation of the base and then after a last minute meeting with the Japanese Prime minister he agrees to the relocation? Seems to me like he was pushed into it especially given the fact the later told a news conference that he would continue pressing to move the Futenma troops off Okinawa entirely.

Oh. Sorry. I thought you meant by the USA.

Back
Top Bottom