• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US fails to land on the Moon

Um, that doesnt refute what I stated.

I had a flat tire a couple weeks ago. You would probably recommend I use a traditional AM/FM radio instead of satellite radio because it was more reliable. I'd likely mention that has nothing to do with the situation. You'd respond by saying that doesn't refute what you said...

PoS said:
If NASA wants a guaranteed no glitch tech to take to the moon, then they ought to start building Saturn Vs all over again. Those rockets have a 100% success rate.

Guaranteed no glitch tech? 100% success rate?

Following on the heels of the two very successful Apollo 4 and 5 missions, Apollo 6 was the second all-up unmanned test of the Saturn 5. The plan called for the first three stages to place the spacecraft still attached to the third stage into low Earth orbit.
The second Saturn 5 lifted off from the Kennedy Space Center’s Launch Complex 39A on April 4, 1968; the mission ran into trouble from the start. Two minutes into the flight, the first stage experienced about 30 seconds of vertical oscillations known as “pogo effect”, which caused no serious damage but would have been very uncomfortable for any crew. Then during the second stage burn, two of the five engines shut down prematurely. The remaining three engines burned longer to compensate for the reduced thrust, as did the third stage to propel Apollo 6 into orbit. When it was time for the third stage to restart, it simply wouldn’t. The flight control team led by Flight Director Clifford Charlesworth decided on an alternate mission plan to separate the spacecraft from the third stage and use the SM engine instead to reach the nearly 14,000-mile altitude. But this used so much fuel that the second SM burn could not be carried out, so reentry occurred at less than the planned speed.

So now your having delusions of conversations that never happened. This is all indicative of the symptoms of a mental disorder, common among leftists who have lost touch with reality. Why is it that leftists are always so eager to demonstrate just how little they know? Tell us about this solar cycle conspiracy of yours. Or are you one of those leftist science deniers who think the Earth is flat and NASA is making everything up? :rolleyes:
We had a long talk about this, I remember. because you were spouting off typical bullshit and you got owned on the subject. I never said anything about the solar cycle.

This has nothing to do with left/right, why are you so dangerously angry all the damn time?

No one can have a normal conversation with you.

Are you referring to Apollo 13? The launch went smoothly, which meant that Saturn V did its job perfectly. The problem was in the Apollo command module, not the SLS rocket.
Actually Apollo 13's damage was to the Service Module.

I never cease to be amazed at the fact that we put men on the moon in 1969.

We had a long talk about this, I remember. because you were spouting off typical bullshit and you got owned on the subject. I never said anything about the solar cycle.

This has nothing to do with left/right, why are you so dangerously angry all the damn time?

No one can have a normal conversation with you.
It has already been demonstrated that your memory is faulty. Such as forgetting that you just called solar cycles a conspiracy theory just a few posts ago. No doubt you think solar flares are just figments of scientists imagination as well. Your complete lack of education is demonstrable. You aren't looking for a normal conversation, you are looking to demonstrate just how little you know. Go back to your Flat Earth Society with all the rest of the leftist science deniers, where they think you are some kind of mental giant. :rolleyes:

It has already been demonstrated that your memory is faulty. Such as forgetting that you just called solar cycles a conspiracy theory just a few posts ago. No doubt you think solar flares are just figments of scientists imagination as well. Your complete lack of education is demonstrable. You aren't looking for a normal conversation, you are looking to demonstrate just how little you know. Go back to your Flat Earth Society with all the rest of the leftist science deniers, where they think you are some kind of mental giant. :rolleyes:
No, I was referring to you silly radiation nonsense as a conspiracy theory. The astronauts are fine, inside a space craft going through the Van Allen belts.

Why do you always make such strange things and never back them up? I mean, it is hilarious, but its also really creepy.

We had this conversation, post #38, back last June. Its where you refused to believe official government measurements of the temps in Phoenix, it was some bizarre kooky conspiracy by you.

We also argued about it in August of 2022.

Your memory is faulty, we have argued about this twice now.

No, I was referring to you silly radiation nonsense as a conspiracy theory.
Once again demonstrating your complete lack of education. Why don't you ask those who survived the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki whether or not "silly radiation is a conspiracy theory." Most normal people - meaning those with an modicum of education - comprehend that radiation can kill, and that is no conspiracy.

The astronauts are fine, inside a space craft going through the Van Allen belts.
You just can't help but demonstrate just how little you know. Such as your reading comprehension. Or did my reference to "low-Earth orbit" somehow escape your grasp? No doubt you also think - using the term loosing obviously - that Earth's magnetosphere encompasses the moon, so there is no need to be concerned. :rolleyes:

Since you are lacking the education, I will provide some: Earth's magnetosphere on the day-side (the side facing the sun, in case "day side" was not clear enough) extends between 6 and 10 Earth radius, or between 23,753 and 39,588 miles from Earth's surface. The moon is located, on average, 238,885 miles from Earth's surface, or more than 60 Earth radius. Since you clearly need the obvious pointed out to you, 60 is greater than 6. Earth's magnetosphere does not come anywhere close to encompassing the moon.

So what magical means is going to protect the astronauts from solar and cosmic radiation for the majority of the time when they are not under the protection of Earth's magnetosphere?

According to NOAA we were hit with an X5.0 solar flare at the end of 2023, and an M3.1 just 72 hours ago.

Any solar flare greater than a C5 solar flare is a threat, because that is were it exceeds 10 MeV of energy. While within the protection of the magnetosphere, like the ISS and the vast majority of our satellites, there is very little to be concerned about. It might play havoc with communications for the duration of the geomagnetic storm, but there is very little threat otherwise. It would need to exceed an X50 solar flare to actually reach the surface of Earth and cause serious damage, and that hasn't happened since 1859. Outside of the protection of the magnetosphere, however, is another story entirely. The capsule offers very minimal protection, as does their suits. Background radiation in unprotected space - outside of Earth's magnetosphere - is already 50 times higher than background radiation levels on Earth's surface.

Why do you always make such strange things and never back them up? I mean, it is hilarious, but its also really creepy.
Because I don't bother wasting my time attempting to explain what is clearly beyond your ability to comprehend.

Some updates, they thought they had the Moon again, but now it looks like she'll burn up in Earth's atmosphere, but maybe they can still save it, but it won't have fuel for a soft landing.

Not a bad way to scatter your ashes.

Lots of uncertainty.

Once again demonstrating your complete lack of education. Why don't you ask those who survived the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki whether or not "silly radiation is a conspiracy theory." Most normal people - meaning those with an modicum of education - comprehend that radiation can kill, and that is no conspiracy.

You just can't help but demonstrate just how little you know. Such as your reading comprehension. Or did my reference to "low-Earth orbit" somehow escape your grasp? No doubt you also think - using the term loosing obviously - that Earth's magnetosphere encompasses the moon, so there is no need to be concerned. :rolleyes:

Since you are lacking the education, I will provide some: Earth's magnetosphere on the day-side (the side facing the sun, in case "day side" was not clear enough) extends between 6 and 10 Earth radius, or between 23,753 and 39,588 miles from Earth's surface. The moon is located, on average, 238,885 miles from Earth's surface, or more than 60 Earth radius. Since you clearly need the obvious pointed out to you, 60 is greater than 6. Earth's magnetosphere does not come anywhere close to encompassing the moon.

So what magical means is going to protect the astronauts from solar and cosmic radiation for the majority of the time when they are not under the protection of Earth's magnetosphere?

According to NOAA we were hit with an X5.0 solar flare at the end of 2023, and an M3.1 just 72 hours ago.

Any solar flare greater than a C5 solar flare is a threat, because that is were it exceeds 10 MeV of energy. While within the protection of the magnetosphere, like the ISS and the vast majority of our satellites, there is very little to be concerned about. It might play havoc with communications for the duration of the geomagnetic storm, but there is very little threat otherwise. It would need to exceed an X50 solar flare to actually reach the surface of Earth and cause serious damage, and that hasn't happened since 1859. Outside of the protection of the magnetosphere, however, is another story entirely. The capsule offers very minimal protection, as does their suits. Background radiation in unprotected space - outside of Earth's magnetosphere - is already 50 times higher than background radiation levels on Earth's surface.

Because I don't bother wasting my time attempting to explain what is clearly beyond your ability to comprehend.
We argued this before, twice. You have a terrible memory, and your argument was wrong both times. Why do you always carry on like this?

A fuel leak should make me outraged? Maybe I just have thicker skin than some people...

So, you ignore that we discussed twice before? And you say I am forgetful?

So, you ignore that we discussed twice before? And you say I am forgetful?
The only thing that was ever demonstrated before was your complete lack of education. You should have gotten an education instead of that leftist indoctrination. It would have served you better.

This is why I ignore the vast majority of your posts. You lack even the most basic understanding of science. Such as your "solar cycle conspiracy theory" nonsense or insisting that radiation poses no danger. You simply have no clue. You are the product of a leftist indoctrination and as anti-science as they come. You are literally a waste of my time.

The only thing that was ever demonstrated before was your complete lack of education. You should have gotten an education instead of that leftist indoctrination. It would have served you better.

This is why I ignore the vast majority of your posts. You lack even the most basic understanding of science. Such as your "solar cycle conspiracy theory" nonsense or insisting that radiation poses no danger. You simply have no clue. You are the product of a leftist indoctrination and as anti-science as they come. You are literally a waste of my time.
You are wrong, of course. And you have a very bad memory. And you make some really creepy posts. None of this has anything to do with left or right.

So now your having delusions of conversations that never happened. This is all indicative of the symptoms of a mental disorder, common among leftists who have lost touch with reality. Why is it that leftists are always so eager to demonstrate just how little they know? Tell us about this solar cycle conspiracy of yours. Or are you one of those leftist science deniers who think the Earth is flat and NASA is making everything up? :rolleyes:
Hey Glitch, we talked about it at least two other times, I showed you the threads.

So, when are you gong to give me an apology for calling me delusional about conversations that, in fact, DID happen? You accused me of a mental disorder, and I proved you wrong.

You gonna apologize? You gonna man up?

Come on Glitch, show some class.

You gonna stop making personal attacks and admit you were wrong?

I had a flat tire a couple weeks ago. You would probably recommend I use a traditional AM/FM radio instead of satellite radio because it was more reliable. I'd likely mention that has nothing to do with the situation. You'd respond by saying that doesn't refute what you said...
You sure are good at thinking up a strawman after youve gotten soundly beaten.

Guaranteed no glitch tech? 100% success rate?

Following on the heels of the two very successful Apollo 4 and 5 missions, Apollo 6 was the second all-up unmanned test of the Saturn 5. The plan called for the first three stages to place the spacecraft still attached to the third stage into low Earth orbit.
The second Saturn 5 lifted off from the Kennedy Space Center’s Launch Complex 39A on April 4, 1968; the mission ran into trouble from the start. Two minutes into the flight, the first stage experienced about 30 seconds of vertical oscillations known as “pogo effect”, which caused no serious damage but would have been very uncomfortable for any crew. Then during the second stage burn, two of the five engines shut down prematurely. The remaining three engines burned longer to compensate for the reduced thrust, as did the third stage to propel Apollo 6 into orbit. When it was time for the third stage to restart, it simply wouldn’t. The flight control team led by Flight Director Clifford Charlesworth decided on an alternate mission plan to separate the spacecraft from the third stage and use the SM engine instead to reach the nearly 14,000-mile altitude. But this used so much fuel that the second SM burn could not be carried out, so reentry occurred at less than the planned speed.
And yet Apollo made it to orbit, so it was a success. Got any more fails to google up? :ROFLMAO:

Actually Apollo 13's damage was to the Service Module.
Which is what I said.

My father was an SES'er at NASA. Grew up in Huntsville Alabama where he was hired out of college into the Gemini program. Dr Von Braun had a great team.

After the war NASA was able to get most of Germany's propulsion guys (buzz bomb dudes) and Russia grabbed the scientists. If we remember the Apollo/SOYUZ spacecraft docking in 1975 with the infamous handshake in the hatch it only happened due to NASA's outstanding Aeronautical Engineers.

The Russians couldn't follow NASA drawings on how to construct the hatch on the SOYUZ. If I recall they tried 4 times before letting NASA do it for them. Which we did enabling the iconic joint docking at SOYUZ

NASA clearly benefited for being heavily reliant on engineering to achieve its scientific objectives.

However, in 1966 walking the halls at NASA, particularly in Huntsville, it benefited you to speak German
i remember Wernher von Braun ….

You sure are good at thinking up a strawman after youve gotten soundly beaten.

And yet Apollo made it to orbit, so it was a success. Got any more fails to google up? :ROFLMAO:

Which is what I said.
Except it wasn't what you said: "The problem was in the Apollo command module,"

The command and service module (CSM) is made up of the command module and the service module. The service module is where the electrical fire occured. Had you said "command and service module" we wouldn't be having this exchange.

Except it wasn't what you said: "The problem was in the Apollo command module,"

The command and service module (CSM) is made up of the command module and the service module. The service module is where the electrical fire occured. Had you said "command and service module" we wouldn't be having this exchange.
Thanks for admitting its part of the command module, which is what I said. Your silly debate strategy of arguing about semantics is asinine.

Back
Top Bottom