• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

UMass Boston ditches ‘litmus test’ demand for new professors to back DEI

PoS

Minister of Love
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian

Want a job at the University of Massachusetts Boston? Well, until recently, you’d have to pledge your commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion first.

The worrying requirement came to light in a job ad, requiring would-be assistant professors in computer science to write a “diversity statement that reflects [their] commitment to diversity equity and inclusion” as part of their job application.

And applicants for a lecturer position in the department of health science were required to demonstrate a commitment “to support[ing] our goal of ensuring an inclusive, equitable, and diverse workplace and educational environment.”
Ive always wondered how our universities, the best in the world, have now become hotbeds of pro Hamas extremism. Here is the proof- these colleges hire only the professors who take an oath to promote wokeness, and theyve done this right under the very noses of philanthropists, who have actually funded these schools. How sickening, and the libs want to keep this going too.

Ive always wondered how our universities, the best in the world, have now become hotbeds of pro Hamas extremism. Here is the proof- these colleges hire only the professors who take an oath to promote wokeness, and theyve done this right under the very noses of philanthropists, who have actually funded these schools. How sickening, and the libs want to keep this going too.
LMAO.. Diversity statements are the new MAGA boogeyman...

LMAO.. Diversity statements are the new MAGA boogeyman...
So all those antisemitic attacks on campuses are OK with you? The truth about you comes out.

How is stating commitment to respecting others anti-semitic?

I am no fan of hiring by quota, and "Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion" is just a fancy way of saying quotas.

Anything other than merit is bogus. It should be blind to skin color, sexual orientation, creed, religion, etc. and so forth. Merit, and merit alone.

Reactions: PoS
DEI isnt respecting others, its being racist to whites, Jews and Asians.

And hateful against Cisgenders, Conservatives and Christians.

Have you ever been through a DEI course? I have, and at no point did I feel that it was prejudiced in any way.

Have you ever been through a DEI course? I have, and at no point did I feel that it was prejudiced in any way.
Do you agree with their philosophy that all whites are oppressors and racism is systemic?

They don't respect others. They respect only those who believe in far-left ideology. Anyone else may get assaulted.

They don't respect others. They respect only those who believe in far-left ideology. Anyone else may get assaulted.
Like who, Richard Spencer? The Nazi?

Who is “they”? The cultural marxist fairies?

Racism isn’t a respectable position. I doubt anyone has been assaulted because they like free markets.

Do you agree with their philosophy that all whites are oppressors and racism is systemic?
You didn’t answer my question (which kind of does answer my question).

Your question is a straw man, I’ll explain why, then I’ll answer it. You seem to believe DEI indoctrinates people into believing whites are evil and the whole world is racist. This is not true. DEI acknowledges systemic racism, yes. It does this because systemic racism is real and is a problem. DEI is not “pro-black” or “anti-white”, it’s pro-diversity. Diversity means having different view points, backgrounds, and thought processes included in discussing issues. I fail to see the problem with this.

To answer your question, no, not all whites are oppressors, and yes, racism is systemic. “All whites are racist” is something said by lefty crackpots, then picked up by right wing crackpots to make the left look bad. Everyone has implicit bias, this is proven through many studies. It is a minority of people who consciously hate black people.

Racism is systemic. The evidence is so abundant it’s honestly impressive people have denied this. Since the founding of our nation non-whites were considered less than whites. The 3/5ths compromise literally states that a black slave is worth 3/5ths of a white person. You may believe this was all fixed with the 13th, 14th, and 15th amendments, but it wasn’t. Look up Jon Stewart’s interview with Cory Booker. Black people in America have been denied the same rights and opportunities that are guaranteed to all citizens again and again. Whether it’s redlining, bussing, segregation, voting rights or policing. This system was built by whites, for whites.

This doesn’t mean the American experiment is a lost cause. There has been extradorinaiy progress made, but unless we acknowledge the mistakes of our forefathers and vow to do better, we will slide back into tyranny.

Gawd, when did the American right become such pearl-clutching victims and drama queens?

If we insist in banning diversity, we are essentially saying we are okay with racial segregation because that is often the result.

I am no fan of hiring by quota, and "Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion" is just a fancy way of saying quotas.

Anything other than merit is bogus. It should be blind to skin color, sexual orientation, creed, religion, etc. and so forth. Merit, and merit alone.
The disagreement here appears to be whether "Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion" is a merit or not.

The disagreement here appears to be whether "Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion" is a merit or not.

If it’s meritorious to have a sex, skin color or sexual orientation wouldn’t equality demand it be any skin color, sex or sexual orientation rather than a specific one? Thus negating the effect and we get back to merit by things like education, experience, and the demonstration of skills associated with the job involved.

If it’s meritorious to have a sex, skin color or sexual orientation wouldn’t equality demand it be any skin color, sex or sexual orientation rather than a specific one? Thus negating the effect and we get back to merit by things like education, experience, and the demonstration of skills associated with the job involved.
So far as I know, DEI is about not discriminating against people for various factors about them, such as race, skin color, religion, disability, place of origin, etc.
But then, I've only had the training my employer assigned about it.
Based on that, though, the "merit" I spoke of was not discriminating.

According to the Wikipedia page about it:
Diversity refers to the presence of variety within the organizational workforce, such as in identity and identity politics. It includes gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, disability, class etc.), age or opinion.[2][15] Equity refers to concepts of fairness and justice, such as fair compensation and substantive equality.[15] More specifically, equity usually also includes a focus on societal disparities and allocating resources and "decision making authority to groups that have historically been disadvantaged",[16] and taking "into consideration a person's unique circumstances, adjusting treatment accordingly so that the end result is equal."[2] Finally, inclusion refers to creating an organizational culture that creates an experience where "all employees feel their voices will be heard",[2] and a sense of belonging and integration.[15][17]

Not reading further in that article, I am assuming that the equity part is a place where some disagreements occur, because allocating additional resources to adjust the outcome for persons based on background might be viewed by some as discrimination.

You didn’t answer my question (which kind of does answer my question).

Your question is a straw man, I’ll explain why, then I’ll answer it. You seem to believe DEI indoctrinates people into believing whites are evil and the whole world is racist. This is not true. DEI acknowledges systemic racism, yes. It does this because systemic racism is real and is a problem. DEI is not “pro-black” or “anti-white”, it’s pro-diversity. Diversity means having different view points, backgrounds, and thought processes included in discussing issues. I fail to see the problem with this.

To answer your question, no, not all whites are oppressors, and yes, racism is systemic. “All whites are racist” is something said by lefty crackpots, then picked up by right wing crackpots to make the left look bad. Everyone has implicit bias, this is proven through many studies. It is a minority of people who consciously hate black people.

Racism is systemic. The evidence is so abundant it’s honestly impressive people have denied this. Since the founding of our nation non-whites were considered less than whites. The 3/5ths compromise literally states that a black slave is worth 3/5ths of a white person. You may believe this was all fixed with the 13th, 14th, and 15th amendments, but it wasn’t. Look up Jon Stewart’s interview with Cory Booker. Black people in America have been denied the same rights and opportunities that are guaranteed to all citizens again and again. Whether it’s redlining, bussing, segregation, voting rights or policing. This system was built by whites, for whites.

This doesn’t mean the American experiment is a lost cause. There has been extradorinaiy progress made, but unless we acknowledge the mistakes of our forefathers and vow to do better, we will slide back into tyranny.
The very fact you admit DEI teaches that racism is systemic is proof positive right there that it does imply that whites are oppressors. In order for DEI to gain converts it must continuously promote this garbage thinking.

Any kind of systemic racism was done away with when the Civil Rights Act was voted into law, so you cant even prove that racism is baked into any institution. Did you even know that with the top ten poorest counties in the country, 60% of them are majority white? Yes, there are more poor whites than POCs out there, but no, this isnt reported by the MSM because it doesnt fit their narrative.

This DEI nonsense is nothing more than one big scam for its participants to make money, and to force quotas based on race at the expense of rewarding merit.

If you really want to learn the truth, watch this:

Agreed. I believe everything should be based on merit alone. If youre good at something, then you ought to be rewarded for it regardless of skin color or ethnicity.

The very fact you admit DEI teaches that racism is systemic is proof positive right there that it does imply that whites are oppressors. In order for DEI to gain converts it must continuously promote this garbage thinking.
I disagree that we should blame whites collectively for systemic racism. It is a relative minority of people who are scheming to keep the black community living in ghettos and going to subpar schools.
Any kind of systemic racism was done away with when the Civil Rights Act was voted into law, so you cant even prove that racism is baked into any institution.
You are simply denying the personal experience of millions of people. It is a fact that black criminals are arrested and sentenced disproportionately compared to white criminals. It is a fact that black women die at 4x the rate of white women during child birth. I’m not saying there’s a “racism department” that sits around coming up with ways to oppress black people, I’m saying that our system does not work the same for whites and blacks.
Did you even know that with the top ten poorest counties in the country, 60% of them are majority white? Yes, there are more poor whites than POCs out there, but no, this isnt reported by the MSM because it doesnt fit their narrative.
Would it surprise you to know that most counties in America are majority white? Black people are disproportionately poorer per capita. Besidesm counties like Estill County Ky are so poor because the coal industry left. Black communities in New York, Chicago, and LA are poor despite the ample amount of opportunity within those cities.
This DEI nonsense is nothing more than one big scam for its participants to make money, and to force quotas based on race at the expense of rewarding merit.
I agree that affirmative actions is not a great way to handle systemic racism. I believe it would be better to better fund schools in black communities, as well as create a punitive system that focuses on rehabilitation.
If you really want to learn the truth, watch this:

Maybe watch something with two sides:

Agreed. I believe everything should be based on merit alone. If youre good at something, then you ought to be rewarded for it regardless of skin color or ethnicity.
Then you should absolutely be in favor of creating a more equitable society. The fact is America was not made with Black people in mind. The civil rights act was passed by a majority white congress. Most of de-segregation was implemented by whites. Redlining, redistricting, and “white flight” are all real things that have happened.

This does not mean white people are evil, it means that we have work to do in order to create a more perfect union. DEI is simply preparing students to live in a multi-racial democracy like ours.

Like who, Richard Spencer? The Nazi?

Who is “they”? The cultural marxist fairies?

Racism isn’t a respectable position. I doubt anyone has been assaulted because they like free markets.
To these far-left liberals, anyone to the right of Mao is a Nazi.

Gawd, when did the American right become such pearl-clutching victims and drama queens?
You call people assaulting others pearl-clutching?

To these far-left liberals, anyone to the right of Mao is a Nazi.
“far-left liberals” are still liberals, meaning they still believe in capitalism. I am a liberal, I do not like Mao.

“far-left liberals” are still liberals, meaning they still believe in capitalism. I am a liberal, I do not like Mao.
Nope. I see a constant stream of anti-capitalist talk from the far left.

Nope. I see a constant stream of anti-capitalist talk from the far left.
Yeah, anti-capitalists are not liberals. Any 6th grade civics class would tell you liberalism values open markets and human rights

Back
Top Bottom