• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. economy grew at a better pace than expected

Re: The U.S. economy got some good news Tuesday.

Why let Clinton off the hook? He knew what would happen, he's not an idiot.

How many thought Greenspan was such a huge idiot at the time? He had a impeccable reputation until he sold his soul to the banks. Sadly I think many (including Clinton) trusted Greenspan and we all suffered for it. At least Greenspan apologized, Gramm is siting pretty on the board at UBS Bank the SOB.

This growth is not as it seems on the surface. The reason for the jump is a growth in inventory. In other words, manufacturers/businesses made/bought more stuff then they sold in anticipation of greater sales that have not yet materialized.

In fact, apparently, taking out the inventory expansion, the GDP number would only be 1.2%...hardly Earth shattering.

This growth is not as it seems on the surface. The reason for the jump is a growth in inventory. In other words, manufacturers/businesses made/bought more stuff then they sold in anticipation of greater sales that have not yet materialized.

In fact, apparently, taking out the inventory expansion, the GDP number would only be 1.2%...hardly Earth shattering.
One of us is looking in the wrong place. According to Table 1.1.2 of the NIPA tables, change in private inventories was a -.59% change in real GDP for 3rd quarter 2015. U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA)

Last edited:

Perhaps, but I'm not so sure it's "not good at all".

The economy is slowly & steadily chugging along with very low interest rates, low inflation, slowly falling unemployment, and moderately rising house prices. While there's no high peaks as in the Clinton 90's, there's no killer valleys as in the GW Bush 2008; just a steadily improving mild upward slope, year after year!

I'm actually fine with this economy.

There are several caveats, though:

- Wages are low, but even then they've recently edged up. But I'd argue that part of low wages is due to globalization effects with the exodus of manufacturing to China.

- There isn't a lot of cushion to absorb a downturn.

But otherwise, I'm O.K.with this steadily improving no-drama economy.

the type of jobs being created are a real problem. they are the low to being median wage jobs. there are still 45 millions people on SNAP. pre-recession, that number was below 30 million. a 5% unemployment rate looks good but the reality feels different for those workers who work 2 or more jobs to be considered full time work.

wages are up in the last survey but are only up a little over 2% for the year.

good growth is around a steady 3.5%. not too fast but a at pace to foster what you want to get from more healthy economy in terms of wages.

U.S. economy grew at a better pace than expected

well, after they cut the NIH (and along with it, my research job,) i got hired by industry, so for my N of 1, the economy is doing ok. i'm thankful to have a good job.

2.1% is very slow growth. its continues the anemic growth of the economy since the recession ended.

not good at all.

It is only the best in the free world and right at the 20 year moving average. Growth has slowed over the last 20 or 30 years. That supply side B.S. has been a growth killer.

6a00e554717cc988330147e161c035970b-pi

It looks the is better when a Democrat is president.

LOL, just goes to show how little liberals know about the economy and how it works. The private sector is always going to outperform the rest of the world and it took the private sector years to recover from the Obama economic policies. capitalism makes the rest of the world look foolish and it is interesting how liberals give Obama credit but cannot point to the policies that generated what they perceive as good results. Wonder why liberals have such low expectations when a Democrat is in the WH?

Here is the information that liberals want to ignore

GDP

GW Bush 10.2 trillion to 14.7 trillion or 4.5 trillion Growth
Obama 14.7 trillion to 18.3 trillion or 3.6 trillion

Obama inherited an economy coming out of Recession, added 842 billion in govt. spending(stimulus) to the GDP thus overstating GDP but liberals don't understand that as they look for anything to give Obama credit for. Why would anyone put another liberal in the WH?

Stagnant or low GDP growth
High unemployment/under employment/discouraged workers
High debt thus high debt service

yay... great job Obama!!! our most powerful and beneficent leader

screw the hard working Americans who actually had something to do with economic growth, they don't deserve credit....we gotta bow our heads in reverence to the President, like good loyal subjects.

yay... great job Obama!!! our most powerful and beneficent leader

screw the hard working Americans who actually had something to do with economic growth, they don't deserve credit....we gotta bow our heads in reverence to the President, like good loyal subjects.

Now there you go again, confusing a liberal with actual logic and common sense. Most don't understand the U.S. economy as they have been indoctrinated by the liberal elites who have them convinced that GDP growth is all that matters, not the make up or understanding that much of the liberal GDP growth is due to govt. spending. Hard working Americans are nothing more than pawns for the left to use for their own benefit. Making more dependent is always better for the left as they continue to violate the vary principles upon which this country was founded. Liberals enjoy Thanksgiving so they can give thanks for dependent people who keep them in power

Sounds like a baby Greece to me. With libs in control we'll eventually grow up into an adult Greece.

One of us is looking in the wrong place. According to Table 1.1.2 of the NIPA tables, change in private inventories was a -.59% change in real GDP for 3rd quarter 2015. U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA)

It might be me.

I heard it, I did not read it...that is why I said 'apparently'.

That'll teach me to trust an economist.

Back
Top Bottom