• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. and Canada Reach Deal to Salvage Nafta

Why are people on multiple internet forums bickering about this? It's legit a better agreement than the last for all parties. I guess we're doing the dick waving thing.

Canada protected the first 2.6 million cars per annum from any future tariffs, which is no small feat considering that they export 1.8 million cars per year. I know trump supporters see the world exclusively in terms of "who was made whose bitch," but I'm not sure this qualifies.

On another note, if I traveled to years into the past and told everybody here that Republicans would come to hate Canada and identify more with Russia than our own Democratic institutions and even our fellow Americans, I'd be laughed off the forum.
That's a good thing in that it allows Canada to have free trade with us but prevents countries that we tax heavily from avoiding those tariffs by using Canada as a conduit to our market.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk

It's no fantasy. I work in this industry and believe me, 5g changes everything. I saw a map of cell sites in Manhattan recently by Verizon. There is an antenna everywhere. When Verizon extrapolated how many new micro sites 5G entails, every block had upwards of a hundred base stations to accomodate 5g bandwidth. It will happen buddy.

Will the driverless truck pull over for a police inspection? Will it pull over for a weight station?

Will the driverless truck pull over for a police inspection? Will it pull over for a weight station?

Of course it will sooner or later. I know it sounds bizarre but technology already exists to do this, it just needs to be refined. Here is the truth. 5G will become reality and it will provide upwards of 1 gig per device in a full mesh across the network. The robotics of the truck are not going to cause engineers too much grief, planes can already take off and land with no pilot. The issue is rollout of the 5G network, creating a new infrastructure to support the higher speeds, smaller micro cell sites to surround dense corridors, etc. If you think this is science fiction, think about your AOL dial up speed in the late 90s. 56k was fast, really fast. Now folks want 1 gig symmetrical...

Trolling eh?

I can't believe anyone would be so selfish and rude as to deliberately annoy someone, but then when dealing with amur'cans anything is possible, I mean when you have a lying pervert for a president and are trying to get an alcoholic appointed to the supreme court nothing is beyond the stupidity of the amur'can right

Well sure, the same rule that applies to the myriad of corporate and business taxes, which the Trump administration is also working on lowering. What the Trump administration is creating is a business climate that allows businesses to sufficiently estimate the cost of doing business in the long term, allowing for more confident long term reinvestment. Neither you or I can adequately determine what the net effect would be on the consumer, but it is not guaranteed to be seen in higher prices, it can also be seen in more job stability.

I think you're looking at this with rose colored glasses...I get it, you support him, you want everything to turn out right, that's cool. I probably won't convince you to the contrary, despite seeing the incremental costs already, working in the automotive industry. So...guess we'll leave it at "we'll see". Based on my first hand, day to day experience in manufacturing, I believe me more (hehe), but.....we'll see. ;)

It's usually a a good practice to only put things in quotes that were actually said. In fact, Trump and his economic advisers never said anything of the sort. the closest that Trump came to a demand from Canada was that they address their absurdly protectionist dairy tariffs, which they did. Other than that, the claim has ALWAYS been that the eventual deal would be good for everyone, and it is.

Were you on vacation when the "off the record" comments were leaked? hehe... He did say that. He said a lot of things.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/tru...ments-complicate-trade-deal/story?id=57528243

Canada's protectionist dairy tariffs were not absurd, they were protectionist, and thankfully we haven't given up much territory in that regard - just enough to stroke Trump's ego, not enough to destroy our dairy industry, which eliminating the tariffs altogether would have done. But if you guys feel like you won something there, great, I'm glad you're happy. Both sides should be happy...at least a little. I think it's more accurate to say that we wouldn't accept a deal that wasn't fair, which is why a fair deal was signed.

I feel like the deal is just ok for us (which is usually the best you can hope for in one of these situations, so that's actually praise - but not thanks, we had to have a pretty massive, public fight to get there).

The "or else" isn't our doing. It's simple reality based on your own choices. So nope...you are still lying.

What would be better for y'all is to actually manufacture the parts...like the US and Mexico will do. Then, it'll be a matter of whether you can compete. If you can't, you won't sell stuff.

That's how simple it actually is.

lol...whatever you say, Mycroft. Honestly, I'm just glad it's sorted so I don't have to have any more painful conversations about it with people who don't know what they are talking about, or do, but won't go there if it in any way paints Trump in a negative light. Bottom line, we got a trade deal done, and managed to do so without giving up what's important to us. If you guys feel good about it, fantastic. But we told your boy to do better or stuff it, and he did better. :shrug:

lol...whatever you say, Mycroft. Honestly, I'm just glad it's sorted so I don't have to have any more painful conversations about it with people who don't know what they are talking about, or do, but won't go there if it in any way paints Trump in a negative light. Bottom line, we got a trade deal done, and managed to do so without giving up what's important to us. If you guys feel good about it, fantastic. But we told your boy to do better or stuff it, and he did better. :shrug:

You see, that's how trade deals are supposed to work. That's how Trump makes deals. All parties get what they want and feel good about it. And, in this case, it turned out to be quite easy to do...once Trump got Trudeau off his "I won't negotiate a single thing" attitude.

This negotiation was so simple, the deal could have been done a year ago.

You see, that's how trade deals are supposed to work. That's how Trump makes deals. All parties get what they want and feel good about it. And, in this case, it turned out to be quite easy to do...once Trump got Trudeau off his "I won't negotiate a single thing" attitude.

This negotiation was so simple, the deal could have been done a year ago.

No, that's how the majority of professionals would approach a trade deal. Trump tried to act like, well, Trump, and got stuffed.

If you view this in any other way, then I'll invite you to continue to enjoy your daydreams. Add to them the idea that Trudeau said we wouldn't negotiate a single thing. He said we wouldn't be pushed around. And we weren't. Very different.

You're right, though...this could have been done a year ago. And under any other American administration, it would have been. :shrug:

So much for the "great negotiator".

Last edited:
No, that's how the majority of professionals would approach a trade deal. Trump tried to act like, well, Trump, and got stuffed.

If you view this in any other way, then I'll invite you to continue to enjoy your daydreams. Add to them the idea that Trudeau said we wouldn't negotiate a single thing. He said we wouldn't be pushed around. And we weren't. Very different.

You're right, though...this could have been done a year ago. And under any other American administration, it would have been. :shrug:

So much for the "great negotiator".

shrug...

You spin it your way. It makes you feel good. I'll stick to reality.

In any case, I'm sure we'll be talking again when you start crying about Trump being a bully when he uses the side letters to push Canada into actually manufacturing the products they sell to the US...or when Trump puts the brakes on a trade deal that Canada tries to make with another country or group of countries.

Moving on...

shrug...

You spin it your way. It makes you feel good. I'll stick to reality.

In any case, I'm sure we'll be talking again when you start crying about Trump being a bully when he uses the side letters to push Canada into actually manufacturing the products they sell to the US...or when Trump puts the brakes on a trade deal that Canada tries to make with another country or group of countries.

Moving on...

Enjoy your daydreams...…….

Back
Top Bottom