• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

TSA Fails to ID 73 Airport Employees With Links to Terrorism

Travelsonic

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
TSA Fails to ID 73 Airport Employees With Links to Terrorism - NBC News

article said:
A new Department of Homeland Security Inspector General report found that the Transportation Security Administration failed to identify 73 aviation employees with active clearance badges with links to terrorism.
The people, who were employed by major airlines, airport vendors and other employers, were not identified because TSA is not authorized to receive all terrorism-related information under current inter-agency policies, the report said.

Oh wow. If this is not a wake up call regarding unnecessary bureaucracy, and inefficient practices in our government in general, I don't know what is, and dread what it will take to wake people up to the fact that out govt has become so large and cumbersome, enough that it is stepping on its own feet in a way that does affect us, and our own safety.

Of course, I'd rather the airlines be in charge of their own security, like before, with the FAA having a list of dangerous items, where ultimately economics guided the most important parts, and not government, but that's another story.

Last edited:
We must have a half dozen threads on this by now, but it is nice to see the actual report.

I must agree with others, the TSA is a perfect example of our overreaction and a realized failed consequence. The TSA is now just like many other government agencies that needs to be closed down.

On one website that was discussing this article, I saw a comment that I thought both funny, and accurate:

After 9/11 we were told that the powers-that-be dropped the ball because none of the three-letter-agencies were sharing information like they ought to.

So to solve this problem we created 4 more three-letter-agencies that don't share information like they ought to.

It's like something out of a Monty Python sketch, really. :doh

Wow, not defense by the Obamabots. They agree the TSA is a joke.

Wow, not defense by the Obamabots. They agree the TSA is a joke.

Well, it was created by Bush, was a joke the entire time he was responsible, and has been the entire time Obama's been responsible. **** can it.

TSA Fails to ID 73 Airport Employees With Links to Terrorism - NBC News

Oh wow. If this is not a wake up call regarding unnecessary bureaucracy, and inefficient practices in our government in general, I don't know what is, and dread what it will take to wake people up to the fact that out govt has become so large and cumbersome, enough that it is stepping on its own feet in a way that does affect us, and our own safety.

Of course, I'd rather the airlines be in charge of their own security, like before, with the FAA having a list of dangerous items, where ultimately economics guided the most important parts, and not government, but that's another story.

...so why do we still have this?

When I worked for the airlines, we didn't have the TSA. But, we did extensive background checks on all employees. Anyone with ramp access had to go through a background check and fingerprinting by the airport and FAA, and carry a seperate badge issued by the airport.

Back before 9/11, there were very easy ways I could get to the gate and on a flight without going through the metal detectors. And, although I didn't have ramp access, I could go down to the breakrooms, and walk across the ramp from one set of gates to another, I did have to display my badge at all times.

Well, it was created by Bush, was a joke the entire time he was responsible, and has been the entire time Obama's been responsible. **** can it.

I agree.

To be fair, blaming TSA in this case is well...not fair. From what it sounds like, they weren't privy to the information to properly vet the people. Sounded like generally the process is working okay (as it damn will better should, trying to get clearance is a massive PITA), and they'd have a good chance if not found the 73 of 900k if given access.

Far biggesr issues of inefficiency and pointless policy within the TSA (that are actually the TSA's fault); blaming them for this is silly.

To be fair, blaming TSA in this case is well...not fair. From what it sounds like, they weren't privy to the information to properly vet the people. Sounded like generally the process is working okay (as it damn will better should, trying to get clearance is a massive PITA), and they'd have a good chance if not found the 73 of 900k if given access.

Far biggesr issues of inefficiency and pointless policy within the TSA (that are actually the TSA's fault); blaming them for this is silly.

Don't feel sorry for TSA. Google it and look at the pages of documentation of failures, the numbers of investigations, undercover people sneaking all manner of things threw, the abuses of the elderly, the handicapped and the mentally challenged people. This agencies 14,year record is hideous, a colossal failure, has interrupted no terrorist threats, wasted 80 billion dollars, and been a huge pain in the ass to millions, maybe a billion travelers in its existence. Really, we should disband it.

Don't feel sorry for TSA. Google it and look at the pages of documentation of failures, the numbers of investigations, undercover people sneaking all manner of things threw, the abuses of the elderly, the handicapped and the mentally challenged people. This agencies 14,year record is hideous, a colossal failure, has interrupted no terrorist threats, wasted 80 billion dollars, and been a huge pain in the ass to millions, maybe a billion travelers in its existence. Really, we should disband it.

Sneaking things through is a fault of TSA, in particular toward the top with the insistence of ineffective techniques and technology. One of the things I was talking about with the bigger issues to criticize them on (so agreed on that).

Abuses of the elderly, handicapped, and mentally challenged would need some citation. The stories I've heard on any of those have generally happened because of how we set up our screen policy. Basically that we check everyone (well more randomly then "everyone," another example of weak/show policy). If they ignored the elderly and handicapped, possibly mentally challenged as well (that's a bit more iffy), then it'd create a security gap.

That aside, I wasn't feeling sorry for the TSA, I have pretty major qualms with two big elements on their job. However blaming this on the TSA is fairly dishonest. Even reading the report it sounds more the fault of airports/airlines and TIDE information not being shared with the TSA

1st: Scrap the TSA
2nd: Allow airports to hire their own security with government assistance in background checking and funding

Sneaking things through is a fault of TSA, in particular toward the top with the insistence of ineffective techniques and technology. One of the things I was talking about with the bigger issues to criticize them on (so agreed on that).

Abuses of the elderly, handicapped, and mentally challenged would need some citation. The stories I've heard on any of those have generally happened because of how we set up our screen policy. Basically that we check everyone (well more randomly then "everyone," another example of weak/show policy). If they ignored the elderly and handicapped, possibly mentally challenged as well (that's a bit more iffy), then it'd create a security gap.

That aside, I wasn't feeling sorry for the TSA, I have pretty major qualms with two big elements on their job. However blaming this on the TSA is fairly dishonest. Even reading the report it sounds more the fault of airports/airlines and TIDE information not being shared with the TSA

All that said, the TSA needs to be eliminated!

2nd: Allow airports to hire their own security with government assistance in background checking and funding

If you want airports to hire security, I'm guessing you didn't read much of the report? The Airports/airlines sounded the most lax in their requirements (and background checking/information submitting).

We used to do it that way. And then a thing happened.

We used to do it that way. And then a thing happened.

And then another thing happened 00 and then another thing.... though a lot of people seem to forget they were allowed on with items allowed by the FAA, who was (is?) in charge of making and changing that list. (not trying to accuse you of that forgetfulness, of course. :) )

Back
Top Bottom