• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Truth.org Camapign to End Tobbaco Use

Fenton

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
https://www.thetruth.com/

The push to end Tobacco use among the younger generation has according to Truth.org been wildly succesful and Im all for it

I think Truth.org is doing good work

Tobacco use obviously leads to substantial health issues in the short term and long term and the cost to treat Tobacco related illnesses, illnesses that are preventable are into the hundreds of billions of dolwors a year

Tobacco: The True Cost of Smoking | American Cancer Society

My question is should a similar camapign be waged against Marijuana use among younger people and if not then why not ?

I hated all those truth.com BS crap.

I don't know how successful it was, tobacco use was declining for some time and the e-cigarette things have taken off huge as an "alternative". So they can make some till the cows come home, but I'm not sure how much truth (lol) is in there.

We already have drug education in school, I'm not sure a campaign against weed is going to do anything more. Plus there's not that much more known beyond some health benefits from regulated use.

I guess that depends on context and intention.

I would agree that the effort behind thetruth.org is dealing with an industry that mislead the public on the potential health impacts of smoking, but it would also be wise to add that we are talking about more than the key ingredient Tobacco. We are also talking about all the additives that end up in a cigarette. Not just the basics of the plant like nicotine and tar, but also complex chemicals like formaldehyde, ammonia, hydrogen cyanide and arsenic. It is more than just the source ingredient, but also what is done to end up with a product.

The problem becomes more than just some direct comparison of Marijuana to Tobacco, but also what various organizations do to the product and how they advertise the product (and even to whom.) Not necessarily today, but the Tobacco Industry has a dubious history here we have to acknowledge that I am unsure is really the same to what is still in infancy of the Marijuana Industry in some States.

You can still have organizations that try to emphasize the best healthy lifestyle choices possible, but what you do not have is thetruth.org going after Alcohol in the same manner they do Tobacco. The former ends up with responsibility and impairment, the latter ends up almost entirely about health consequences.

I suspect that any campaign against Marijuana will end up more similar to Alcohol than Tobacco as the primary concern will be how Marijuana impairs the user.

I would prefer something more akin to the "drink responsibly" ads of alcohol.

The push to end Tobacco use among the younger generation has according to Truth.org been wildly succesful and Im all for it

Tobacco use obviously leads to substantial health issues in the short term and long term and the cost to treat Tobacco related illnesses, illnesses that are preventable are into the hundreds of billions of dolwors a year

My question is should a similar camapign be waged against Marijuana use among younger people and if not then why not ?

Sure. Make it legal first, though.

That is so with many drugs. They do harm. The way to go is information and education. The same is true for over eating and driving while texting or chatting or unprotected sex with new friends.

Smoking anything is unhealthy, whether it's tobacco, marijuana, corn silk, or carpet fibers. When you consider the chemical compounds found in pre rolled cigarettes and carpet fibers, they're probably more likely to be carcinogenic. But something like COPD can come from habitually smoking anything.

Vaping is somewhat new still. There's something called "popcorn lung" that some heavy vape users come down with. But really, its a question of mediums. Oils can cause lipid pneumonia, waxes are responsible for popcorn lung (I believe), I believe the "vape juice" in E cigs is glycerin based and I'm not really sure if the health hazards are known.

Personally, I use a "loose leaf" vape chamber. It heats up the dried product (grow > dry > grind > vape, no other processing necessary, or just buy rolling tobacco) to the point where the desired compounds are vaporized without burning the product, resulting in a tasty vapor that's much much less harsh than smoke and doesn't contain the carcinogens produced by the burning process.

I'm happy with the way tobacco is at the moment, I don't have to suffer through anyone else's second hand smoke if I go to a bar, restaurant, or fly on a plane. But the war against tobacco is a little outdated. The war should be against smoking, and there should be a push to better determine the health hazards of vaping various mediums so people can make informed decisions there as well. But I see vaping "loose leaf" as the likely "healthiest option" if one wishes to experience tobacco or marijuana.

I would prefer something more akin to the "drink responsibly" ads of alcohol.

MJs legalization advocates are starting to sound allot like those Giant Tobacco Companies that went out of their way to hide the health implications of using their products

Tobacco smoke is Carcinogenic but smoking MJ is safer than alcohol

Smoke it responsibily . Maybe Truth.com should change their strategy from stopping Tobacco use all together to " smoke responsibily "

Why would you go immediately to marijuana? Wouldn't it be better, if they're targeting deadly substances, to go after meth or heroin?

MJs legalization advocates are starting to sound allot like those Giant Tobacco Companies that went out of their way to hide the health implications of using their products

Tobacco smoke is Carcinogenic but smoking MJ is safer than alcohol

Smoke it responsibily . Maybe Truth.com should change their strategy from stopping Tobacco use all together to " smoke responsibily "

The truth of that is that cigarettes are no longer a natural product. They're not just rolled tobacco anymore, but a stew of some pretty nasty chemicals. Pot however is a natural product. And then of course there's the addiction factor.

Sure. Make it legal first, though.

Lol....Wow

Wouldnt want a aggressive camapaign that exposes the harmful effects of MJ to threaten its legalization now would we ?

Legalization supercedes everything else even public safety

MJ advocates and those Tobacco Executives that sought to hide their products devastating health effects have allot in common apparently

Lol....Wow

Wouldnt want a aggressive camapaign that exposes the harmful effects of MJ to threaten its legalization now would we ?

MJ advocates and those Tobacco Executives that sought to hide their products devastating health effects have allot in common apparently

Do you approve of the status quo re. drug laws?

Lol....Wow

Nonsense, tobacco use was legal for all of our nation's history. There was never a threat to it's legalization. The tobacco industry's attempts to hide what was common knowledge about tobacco for generations was purely to avoid litigation and boost sales.

Legalized pot goes the other direction - you can only purchase a small amount at a time, it's not advertised and the "extra" chemical content is very strictly regulated. Pot, throughout it's history has also been used as a medicinal plant, tobacco, not so much.

I'm unsure on what the statistics are in relation to marijuana use in teens and younger and it's comparison with tobacco use.

Additionally, Truth is funded largely by the tobacco industry due to the various court cases over the years. There is no such infrastructure in place with marijuana given it's current status as a federally illegal substance. Even if it was a decent problem, I can't imagine it being anywhere near large enough to warrant spending significant tax payer funds to facilitate this. And I can't see any particular sector of the economy deciding that they, out of the goodness of their heart, will undertake a similar financial undertaking that Truth.org has undergone to make such a fight.

Finally, the biggest issue I have with cigarette use in youth is not actually the potential long term harm, but rather the addictive nature of it MIXED with that long term harm. If it was relatively easy, and if statistics backed that notion up, for teens to begin smoking tobacco in various forms at an early age and then easily and quickly cease doing so going forward, then I'd have less of a worry about it. I'd still support it being illegal for those under 18, but the issue would be much less. However, the highly addictive nature of nicotine combined with the long term health risks for tobacco use are such that it is a definite problem for kids starting up on it at a young age, especially before they're at a reasonable age to truly access the consequences. There's been no evidence that marijuana has anywhere near the same addictive properties as nicotine, which eliminates one of the big issues in the equation for me.

Furthermore, there has been for some time a strong anti-drug push throughout the youth. I remember it distinctly as I was growing up; far more than any active campaign against tobacco even.

If/when Marijauna becomes legalized, I could envision...and wouldn't have a large issue...with a similar situation happening as is the case with many other industries in the same "sin tax" style genre. A situation where the industry is required to expend a certain amount of advertising dollars in advertising about whatever risks that may be associated with it and encouraging responsible use and/or how to find help. This is similar to the alcohol industries advertising in terms of DD and drunk driving, or the gambling industries frequent presentation of information regarding gambling addiction.

But beyond that, I don't see any evidence of some kind of significant campaign that is needed, nor how such a campaign would be viable at this time.

Back
Top Bottom