• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump's goin' down. Again.

Take a step back and think about what really happened…

An old crook and con man from the North told a massive lie and got a bunch of Southern adult men to back him up and lie for him.

Betas.

I would like to believe that. But ever since the Gingrich Revolution and rise of Fox News in the 1990s the trends in this country have been very troubling- with no signs of abatement.

For Fox News you can blame the Australian Government. Over many governments Labor and Liberal they enforced limits on media takeovers, and when Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation got the better of the intergenerational Packer-v-Murdoch feud and tried to take over one too many of the (only 5) free to air channels, they said No. Murdoch went to Britain and took over the Times and the Sun, and founded Sky. But in the US he couldn't afford to buy an existing network, so he bought Fox Studios and founded Fox News.

Such extraordinary success based on the quite tiny Australian news market, marks Murdoch as a real business genius. What he found in the US was a herd of news outlets all left of center, and the right represented by only a few tabloid papers and some privately funded thinktanks. He used their (essentially free) content and their talking heads to wrap a moderately right-leaning news product in right wing commentary, and was successful in a way that all-right-all-the-time outlets can only dream of.

Rupert is one of a kind though. His attempts to turn News Corporation over to his sons have been lukewarm to disastrous. I'm just hoping the old bastard dies soon.

You are mistaken. The problem with the country is that it is moving away from its Christian roots and values, that is what will destroy it.
Nonsense. Religion never was central to America’s ascent to becoming the greatest representative democracy ever built. In fact, the deliberate separation of church and state has been an essential component in America’s success.

The U.S.A. is in a perilous position. The country dodged a bullet but the danger has not passed.

As long as you have citizens that will accept untruths as fact, because it fits the world view they hold, your country is in decline.
When winning is more important than truth, and the radical religious right want to win, then your country is going down.
When truth takes a backseat to ambition, your country is going down.

Your country was once amazing,.
In 50 years it will be the biggest 'Iran', the world has ever seen.
It will be Christian law, instead of shariia, but the devastation will be the same
I can only speak for myself. I like the idea of getting stoned in the streets. I just don't like the idea of the christian fundamentalists controlling my stoning.

You are mistaken. The problem with the country is that it is moving away from its Christian roots and values, that is what will destroy it.
And Evangelicals are leading the way. They get very high points for hypocrisy. If Christ's kingdom is not of this world, why are Evangelicals so in it, especially the money, money, money part?
There's no doubt that Christian values helped keep a majority of society in check in the past because it was prevalent down to the community level. Many went to church every Sunday and they were wary about being ostracized.
Many have now found new and more tangible gods.

I would like to believe that. But ever since the Gingrich Revolution and rise of Fox News in the 1990s the trends in this country have been very troubling- with no signs of abatement.
I see this as the apex of a bump, not a trend. Progress is inevitable, and that is undeniable. Humans do slip and fall, even go back a step at times, but in the continuum of history, though our ancestors knew many valuable things about being human (which we sadly and conveniently forget, especially when politics is involved), we have progressed from family units to tribes to states to empires to a world so interconnected, that we are having trouble shedding our ancient tribal instincts.

It will pass, as it always does.

For Fox News you can blame the Australian Government. Over many governments Labor and Liberal they enforced limits on media takeovers, and when Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation got the better of the intergenerational Packer-v-Murdoch feud and tried to take over one too many of the (only 5) free to air channels, they said No. Murdoch went to Britain and took over the Times and the Sun, and founded Sky. But in the US he couldn't afford to buy an existing network, so he bought Fox Studios and founded Fox News.

Such extraordinary success based on the quite tiny Australian news market, marks Murdoch as a real business genius. What he found in the US was a herd of news outlets all left of center, and the right represented by only a few tabloid papers and some privately funded thinktanks. He used their (essentially free) content and their talking heads to wrap a moderately right-leaning news product in right wing commentary, and was successful in a way that all-right-all-the-time outlets can only dream of.

Rupert is one of a kind though. His attempts to turn News Corporation over to his sons have been lukewarm to disastrous. I'm just hoping the old bastard dies soon.
Murdoch is one of a kind. He also started Sky News out of the UK, one of the most reliable sources in the world. Granted, the station is no longer owned by him, but it does indicate Murdoch has only one ideology: money.

I see this as the apex of a bump, not a trend. Progress is inevitable, and that is undeniable. Humans do slip and fall, even go back a step at times, but in the continuum of history, though our ancestors knew many valuable things about being human (which we sadly and conveniently forget, especially when politics is involved), we have progressed from family units to tribes to states to empires to a world so interconnected, that we are having trouble shedding our ancient tribal instincts.

I wish and hope you are right. I also believe progress is possible, but I’m not sure I have that much faith that it is inevitable, however. That’s a very Hegelian view which I think involves too much faith and hopeful thinking. We humans can be pretty smart, to be sure. But we have also shown that we can be incredibly stupid.

But here’s to hoping you are right. Cheers.

I can only speak for myself. I like the idea of getting stoned in the streets. I just don't like the idea of the christian fundamentalists controlling my stoning.

😁 That was great. Damn, fine time for my lighter to die. I'll be back.

I wish and hope you are right. I also believe progress is possible, but I’m not sure I have that much faith that it is inevitable, however. That’s a very Hegelian view which I think involves too much faith and hopeful thinking. We humans can be pretty smart, to be sure. But we have also shown that we can be incredibly stupid.

But here’s to hoping you are right. Cheers.
Progress has been inevitable up to now. That's just a simple historical observation. Yes, we could go the way of Mad Max, but that perspective also involves conjecture. Hopeful or pessimistic; it's the same thing.

History, in my opinion, is a much more reliable indicator than any current state of affairs. I could be wrong, of course, and faith is not necessarily indicative of naivete. Sometimes it's the wise choice, and faith in humanity, to me, is the wise choice.

I don't think the far-right frothing confederacy is going anywhere anytime soon.

I'm getting more & more respect for the 'new' Georgia.

A Deep South Swing state, that's not Florida. It doesn't get any more interesting than that!
??? odd that they've gone from racist scum to heros in less than a year.

??? odd that they've gone from racist scum to heros in less than a year.
The "racist scum" was always just louder; it's somewhat of a surprise to see something good rise above it down there.

The "racist scum" was always just louder; it's somewhat of a surprise to see something good rise above it down there.
??? It was democrats and liberals and progressives that decried Kemp and the legislature and the entire state as racist scum. Less than a year ago. Why are they heros now?

Progress has been inevitable up to now. That's just a simple historical observation. Yes, we could go the way of Mad Max, but that perspective also involves conjecture. Hopeful or pessimistic; it's the same thing.

History, in my opinion, is a much more reliable indicator than any current state of affairs. I could be wrong, of course, and faith is not necessarily indicative of naivete. Sometimes it's the wise choice, and faith in humanity, to me, is the wise choice.

Progress has only been around for the last 300 years or so with the dawn of the scientific and industrial revolutions, and the European enlightenment. The only other time anything called “progress” could have been said to have occurred was the dawn of civilization itself about 6-7000 years ago. I suppose they could be considered two points of a trend. But it’s still a pretty tenuous one. I guess we will see. Like I said, I hope you are right.

Progress has only been around for the last 300 years or so with the dawn of the scientific and industrial revolutions, and the European enlightenment. The only other time anything called “progress” could have been said to have occurred was the dawn of civilization itself about 6-7000 years ago. I suppose they could be considered two points of a trend. But it’s still a pretty tenuous one. I guess we will see. Like I said, I hope you are right.

We're not done. It is my hope that scholars of the future will look back on the internet age as the Second Enlightenment. People curating suites of software and data made by other people looks meagre and even demeaning now, but I believe it's the start of a whole new form of civilization, not just augmented by software but growing in partnership with it. The relationship between people and computers will grow, becoming a fundamentally different thing the way printing or industrialization changed society. And of course it will have winners and losers.

Disagree. Progress has always been there. The industrial revolution merely sped up the rate of progress. This has often been cited as a cause of our difficulty; progressing faster than our ability to adapt.

I believe you are correct. DeSantis is the new Trump. Long live the Trump. Lmao.

Fox doesn't mention it, but "The election in 2020 was rigged and stolen" were the first words out of Perdue's mouth.

"First off, folks, let me be very clear tonight, the election in 2020 was rigged and stolen," Perdue began his opening statement.

The crazy isn't very popular anymore. Even in Georgia. Among Republicans. Trump's goin' down.

Perdue is a moron. Now, that may not be a losing strategy in Georgia. They did, after all, send Marjorie Taylor-Gazpacho to Congress.

??? It was democrats and liberals and progressives that decried Kemp and the legislature and the entire state as racist scum. Less than a year ago. Why are they heros now?
I meant that in general terms of the state going blue in 2020.

We're not done. It is my hope that scholars of the future will look back on the internet age as the Second Enlightenment. People curating suites of software and data made by other people looks meagre and even demeaning now, but I believe it's the start of a whole new form of civilization, not just augmented by software but growing in partnership with it. The relationship between people and computers will grow, becoming a fundamentally different thing the way printing or industrialization changed society. And of course it will have winners and losers.
Agreed. Something else not much talked about are the advances in medicine. There will come a point where available resources will conflict with the predicted longevity increases achieved by medical advancement, combined with an ever growing world population. A stark example of potential winners and losers.

Republican President Donald Trump lost reelection by over seven million votes.

He then declared that he had won. Without a shred of evidence, the Republican told his followers that the election was stolen from him. To this day his followers believe him. How do we know this? Trump is the leader of the Republican Party by virtue of his support from his loyal followers.
“First off, let me be very clear tonight. The election in 2020 was rigged and stolen,” David Perdue, Republican candidate for governor from Georgia.
Democrats and countless Republicans are enormously pleased with this development.

ABC reports, "Former President Donald Trump's false claims about the 2020 election are a huge issue in a small number of Republican primaries playing out this spring and summer."

Both Democrats and Republicans are happy because this will ensure that a Trump clone will not be elected in the general election. Most of those Republicans foolish enough to promote Trump's Big Lie are facing an uphill battle in the primaries.

ABC continued, "In the Georgia gubernatorial race, Gov. Brian Kemp and former Sen. David Perdue sparred over the "big lie" for more than 20 minutes at the top of the first debate Sunday. Perdue falsely said Kemp "caved in and gave the elections" to Democrats in the 2020 cycle, while Kemp said Perdue should blame himself for losing his Senate race.

"But perhaps more typical of GOP primary season is the Ohio Senate race, where the first major voting of the year takes place next Tuesday. Trump's newly endorsed candidate, J.D. Vance, appeared alongside Trump on Saturday while the former president repeated discredited claims about the last election -- claims Vance is also trumpeting.

So, several Trump sponsored candidates are spending more time on the 2020 election to curry favor with Trump than the 2022 election.

Moreover, Trump's influence is certainly on the line in many of the races in which he's chosen to endorse. But as new Jan. 6 information comes to light, implicating members of Congress and Trump's inner circle in plots to overthrow the elected government, has already had an incalculable impact!

That's a societal issue. The government is supposed to be secular.
I was speaking of the culture. But the government can lean too much into immorality, in the name of freedom of religion.

I believe you are correct. DeSantis is the new Trump. Long live the Trump. Lmao.

Fox doesn't mention it, but "The election in 2020 was rigged and stolen" were the first words out of Perdue's mouth.

"First off, folks, let me be very clear tonight, the election in 2020 was rigged and stolen," Perdue began his opening statement.

The crazy isn't very popular anymore. Even in Georgia. Among Republicans. Trump's goin' down.
It's boring and says nothing about the problems Americans are facing now. For both Trump and those he backs as candidates, they're going to have to actually start talking about their plans versus sounding like sore losers constantly. I can't imagine that line being remotely interesting to anyone other than the Trump die-hards.

Back
Top Bottom