• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump White House axes Nasa research into greenhouse gas cuts

Trump White House axes Nasa research into greenhouse gas cuts - BBC News

President Donald Trump's administration has quietly axed US space agency Nasa's monitoring system into greenhouse gases, a US journal has revealed.

The Carbon Monitoring System (CMS), a $10m (£7m)-a-year project which remotely tracks the world's flow of carbon dioxide, is to lose funding.
==============================================
Now I'm convinced that Tillerson was right when he called Trump a moron. I think he was just being kind.
Peole do not need to call Trump a moron. The supporters who have their heads up his ass need to acknowledge that fact.

Last edited:
Awesome! Imagine how many poor black children in democratic districts (which coincidentally is where mostly all poor black children reside) that 10 million dollars can feed?

Peole do not need to call Trump a moron. The supporters who have their head up his ass need to acknowledge that fact.

You know, we have to convince people who voted for Trump to vote differently. Insulting those people is probably not the best method to do that...

Awesome! Imagine how many poor black children in democratic districts (which coincidentally is where mostly all poor black children reside) that 10 million dollars can feed?

Not a dollar will go to them.

Man, some one should tell NASA, because they think otherwise:

Can you document your claim that they are only about space and flight?

Sure. The entire history of NASA pre-Obama. Everything that they did revolved around flight and space. Every one of their patents came about as a result of studying both.

Here's NASA history in brief. I'm sure you can look up the rest yourself.

NASA History in Brief

Do you now blame Trump for not allocating the money to the right agencies? Say it....just say it. LOL

Umm...last I knew it was Congress that allocated money? Has that changed? Did a Constitutional Convention happen and I didn't notice?

Umm...last I knew it was Congress that allocated money? Has that changed? Did a Constitutional Convention happen and I didn't notice?

Wait.....I thought it was Obama you were blaming. Hmmmm you are all over the map. LOL

You know, we have to convince people who voted for Trump to vote differently. Insulting those people is probably not the best method to do that...
Facts are facts and people who are insulted by facts, well they are Trump supporters. I do not believe in sugar coating or lying to them.

The whole point of this exercise by The Donald is to further remove the U.S. from the Paris climate deal.

Great... He is doing a pretty damn good job.

National Aeronautics and Space Administration Why would they be in involved with Obama's pet project the Paris climate deal?

Great... He is doing a pretty damn good job.

National Aeronautics and Space Administration Why would they be in involved with Obama's pet project the Paris climate deal?

According to Kal'stang it was congress that did that....oh wait maybe it was Obama.....LOL

That does not explain why a very weak underfunded NASA is working on a new plane. What is the point?

This is what they say:

https://www.nasa.gov/lowboom/new-nasa-x-plane-construction-begins-now

Which does not answer the question.

And what, exactly, do you mean by "weak" and "underfunded"? If they have what they feel they need in order to conduct their research through 2018, is there really any need to throw yet more money at them? Especially since they aren't even going to erect any full-size mockups until sometime next year?

And who, exactly, should be researching such a plane? The EPA wouldn't care about a low sonic-boom plane. Neither would NOAA. Neither would the military - they don't really care about such a thing. This kind of thing is precisely up NASA's alley - this is what they do.

Wait.....I thought it was Obama you were blaming. Hmmmm you are all over the map. LOL

Obama tasked NASA with studying greenhouse emissions. That doesn't mean he allocated money. He had to petition Congress for any additional money if needed. Do you not know how this stuff works? I assumed that you did. Apparently I shouldn't have assumed that you were knowledgeable about a subject that you butted into.

Making new plane designs is something that NASA has been doing since its inception. New plane designs help with understanding aerodynamics. New designs could help in understanding how to better get out of our atmosphere and into space.

They claim that the purpose is to get another arm of the USA government to approve over land supersonic flights, the only thing that they are trying to learn is how much their current idea helps with sonic booms. So far this endeavor has funneled $257 Million to Lockeed, how much they have spent inhouse I do not know.

I want to see NASA slim down to the number of missions that they can both do well and get funded....which would be something that they have not attempted in a long time, as their results show.

Their dreams are bigger than both their talent and their wallet.

Obama tasked NASA with studying greenhouse emissions. That doesn't mean he allocated money. He had to petition Congress for any additional money if needed. Do you not know how this stuff works? I assumed that you did. Apparently I shouldn't have assumed that you were knowledgeable about a subject that you butted into.

Obama tasked NASA specifically with studying this? Obama specifically petitioned congress for money for this? What?

Prove ANY of this. LOL

Obama tasked NASA specifically with studying this? Obama specifically petitioned congress for money for this? What?

Prove ANY of this. LOL

Sec. 4. Providing Information, Data, and Tools for Climate Change Preparedness and Resilience. (a) In support of Federal, regional, State, local, tribal, private-sector and nonprofit-sector efforts to prepare for the impacts of climate change, the Departments of Defense, the Interior, Agriculture, Commerce, Health and Human Services, Housing and Urban Development, Transportation, Energy, and Homeland Security, the Environmental Protection Agency, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, and any other agencies as recommended by the Council established in section 6 of this order, shall, supported by USGCRP, work together to develop and provide authoritative, easily accessible, usable, and timely data, information, and decision-support tools on climate preparedness and resilience.

Executive Order -- Preparing the United States for the Impacts of Climate Change

As for the money, I'd suggest that you read the Constitution. US Constitution

Fair enough. But if the money comes from congress then blame the gop. They ran congress for the last budget year

Why not blame both? If Obama hadn't petitioned for it it never would have been brought up. As such the original blame goes to him. The GOP gets a small part for allowing it.

Why not blame both? If Obama hadn't petitioned for it it never would have been brought up. As such the original blame goes to him. The GOP gets a small part for allowing it.
Yes that is probably true

Six years into the NASA run program the Geniuses are all "Hey wait a GD MINUTE...Space-X should not be fueling after the astronauts are loaded, that is just dumb".

Let's get NASA doing doing the most important things right again, if they can somehow manage that then maybe then we can look into expanding their portfolio.

Simple solution, if the BBC and all the other signatories to the PCA think it's so important for NASA to do the testing why don't they foot the bill ??

They claim that the purpose is to get another arm of the USA government to approve over land supersonic flights, the only thing that they are trying to learn is how much their current idea helps with sonic booms. So far this endeavor has funneled $257 Million to Lockeed, how much they have spent inhouse I do not know.

I want to see NASA slim down to the number of missions that they can both do well and get funded....which would be something that they have not attempted in a long time, as their results show.

Their dreams are bigger than both their talent and their wallet.

Do you really believe that is the only thing that they will learn?

Do you really believe that is the only thing that they will learn?

I am hoping that there is something of value here more than getting this government to change its policy, more than convincing Americans to allow this tech.....I am rather hoping that we get some valuable patents that we can monetize for the American people, but with as corrupt as Washington is I tend to doubt it.

As for learning, no, I doubt that there is much to learn at this stage other than getting some idea if this new design can possibly be economically marketable....a stiff barrier given all the money that so many have lost over so many decades trying to pursue Commercial Supersonic Flight.

NASA monitors earth’s environment from space with equipment, capabilities and science that the EPA does not have. The information tells us about glacial movement, decline and buildup. Weather events, such as hurricanes, can more accurately be tracked. Various measurements, such as sea levels and carbon emissions/content, can be taken in designated areas to track patterns developing. All this helps determine possible impacts that could affect our environment and climate, including where the world should be looking in the near future for planting crops as current areas go dry, critical in our survival.

I believe what NASA does in these and other areas are of benefit to mankind. What do you think?

I sit here as a 51 year old man and realize- we have failed our youth. And we definitely have.

What really pisses me off is that a lot of them don't realize it.

Back
Top Bottom