• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump: Walls work, look at San Antonio TX ...

Wasn’t there a tree out front that was poisoned a few years back? In front of the Alamo.

I am not familiar with that story.

I know when I visited as a small child after seeing John Wayne fight there, I remember some of the Mexican army's lances were red white and green, and when i looked down a well there I saw a red, white, and green stick from a used Roman candle and thought, CRAP!!!!

That was one of the things that struck me as odd when I visited. Sections of the wall are visible, preserved under glass covers set in the sidewalk outside the Alamo.

Incredibly, right beside Ripley's Believe it or Not! On the other side of the street! Alamo Plaza literally cuts through the Alamo's front yard!

If you ever get this way again, let me know.
I can show you places and things few others know about.
We had a very interesting family fight some call " The Texas Revolution", but there was a whole lot of deal making and skullduggery in the background it will amaze you.
Things involving the Masons on both sides, wives, daughters, sons and husbands helping each other from both sides.
All kinds of things you may never read about in a history book.

One thing I LOVE about you Brits is how completely thorough you are in the subject you are interested in.
You guys are still the world's source on shipping and ocean navigation.
Heck, two days ago i ordered two books on that very subject from the UK.
...and Byron Farwell is my favorite historical author.

You may enjoy the "wink and a nod" stories i can share with you and your group if you come this way again.

Mi casa, su casa.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Probably a dumb question, but does anyone know what Trump was talking about with reference to San Antonio?

He was defending his wall, referencing San Antonio, statistically one of the safest cities in Texas, his point being that walls work. Problem then is, that San Antonio doesn't have a wall.

Look it up yourself.
I am busy talking to friends, and other friends i have not made yet.
Your hostility is already known to me.

Ok, looked it up. They can get service in emergency rooms and some may be eligible for federal benefits if in dire circumstances. Hardly an incentive to migrate here.

I think he was referring to the alamo which had a wall but was too trump to form the idea properly. The mexicans ended up over running the alamo but in terms of history the alamo was a victory, massive numbers of mexican soldiers to defeat the alamo with a minimal number of men and their walls.It was around 100 ish texas vs 1500 ish mexicans in a very lopsided battle.

Trump would be correct to point to the alamo as a successful wall but is not clever enough to word it where he makes sense.

Look it up yourself.
I am busy talking to friends, and other friends i have not made yet.
Your hostility is already known to me.

Seems like a fair question. You did bring it up, right?

Someone around him with any semblance of a spine left needs to look him in the eye after a dumbass statement like that and say....

that-snotright.gif

The only thing is, the Great Wall of China took over 2,000 years to finish and in the end it was a spectacular failure. Like any physical wall, as a defensive measure against invading forces, it has been about as useful to China as a Bible on a battlefield. It can give you comfort, but it just won’t stop the enemy. The Great Wall was nothing more than an ambitious project contrived by a vain-glorious emperor. The Great Wall was supposed to show the world China’s superiority, making a clear distinction between civilized people and barbarians. (Gosh, that all sounds very familiar.) In the end, The Great Wall couldn't ward off the Mongols led by Genghis Khan.

But the Great Wall of China isn't the only failed wall in history. There was Hadrian's Wall in Britain, the Theodosian Walls in Constantinople, and of course the Berlin Wall.

I want my tax dollars going to help cities under crisis from opioid epidemics. I want my tax dollars to go towards rebuilding our railroads and deteriorating bridges. I want my tax dollars to go to schools and teachers salaries and books and equipment for education. I want my tax dollars to go for scholarships for the underprivileged kids that have no futures because they can't afford college. I want my tax dollars go to improve conditions at our V.A. hospitals. There's dozens of more things where 5.8 billions dollars can be spent that will improve the lives of more people than to build a wall that's going to be scaled over or dug under.

The only thing is, the Great Wall of China took over 2,000 years to finish and in the end it was a spectacular failure. Like any physical wall, as a defensive measure against invading forces, it has been about as useful to China as a Bible on a battlefield. It can give you comfort, but it just won’t stop the enemy. The Great Wall was nothing more than an ambitious project contrived by a vain-glorious emperor. The Great Wall was supposed to show the world China’s superiority, making a clear distinction between civilized people and barbarians. (Gosh, that all sounds very familiar.) In the end, The Great Wall couldn't ward off the Mongols led by Genghis Khan.

Actually, China was invaded by his grandson Kublai Khan. But otherwise I agree.

But the Great Wall of China isn't the only failed wall in history. There was Hadrian's Wall in Britain, the Theodosian Walls in Constantinople, and of course the Berlin Wall.

Once Upon a Time there was a fabled land in the North of Europe the local people called the Mark of the Danir, while the people themselves were called Danes, though others called them Vikings. The Vikings felt threatened by an empire to the South of their peninsula borderlands, so over the course of several centuries, they constructed a large earthwork across from sea to sea to keep out their insistent Frankish neighbours. Over time, the Danes became strongly emotionally attached to this earthwork, envisaging fables about it having been constructed by legendary royalty. This "Dannevirke" became the very symbol of their entire tribal identity, and the Danes assured each other, that it would keep out the unwanted foreigners for all time.

640px-Danevirke%2C_Valdemar%27s_Wall-3.jpg

Last edited:
I live about a two hour drive from San Antonio. My daughter lives there and I retired from the Army there 5 1/2 years ago. I can confidently say, there's no wall in San Antonio, Tx.

I was in San Antonia two years ago. You would not believe what I had to do to visit. Some people were climbing the wall to get in, but I chose to find one of the tunnels and go in that way. Was so worth all the trouble. Riverwalk was lovely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've trudged nine hundred miles across the border of texas and mexico looking for this town, where is it?

Has anyone told Trump about the tunnels under the border? Why send them desperate migrants in the arms of the cartels?

Fine, we'll just make the wall 200 feet deep. With a moat, sharks, and a mandatory laser beam reference.

Back
Top Bottom