• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump vs GOP

Who needs who the most moving forward?

• Total voters
They will if it is between a GOP elite and a Democrat. You're right that if Trump is in the picture they won't, but this will benefit Democrats, not the GOP or Trump.
The only way the Dems can get more than 74+ million votes...for anyone...is if they commit election fraud like they did for Biden.

(Of course, that worked once...no reason it won't work again, right?)

90% of the GOP are die hard Trumpists.

If the GOP does the right thing and tosses Trump to the curb, TRump can start his own party and the GOP will become the 3rd party.

The GOP needs TRump is the correct answer to the poll question.

I don't think that 90% is accurate. I think it's closer to 30%, and the rest are just blowing with the wind. The only thing they agree on is that Democrats are bad.

In (probably less than) 20 years the GOP will still be here and Trump will be stinking up a gold-plated coffin. I don't have much hope in him finding a "worthy" successor.

The only way the Dems can get more than 74+ million votes...for anyone...is if they commit election fraud like they did for Biden.

They did in 2020 without election fraud. And there's no way Trump gets even 30 million without the GOP backing him.

Wow, you guys really are some extreme sore losers.

Not too sure a political party based on the gut feelings of a 74 year old man has a great future.

What 2020 proved is that Trump has more than 74 million people voting for him. A big part of that 74+ million are Republican rank and file, but there are also a lot of independents and even a good number of walkaway Democrats.

This should scare the shit out of both the GOP and the Dems. (And, given their actions with this impeachment nonsense, I'd say they are pooping all over the place.)

The Republican Party sees supporting coming from this as fading demographic groups, which is why they try and make it so difficult to vote.

Good Lord, the average age of an arrested insurrectionist is 40.

Sad to say, but the GOP is toast without Trump. It's the main reason they kissed his ass for four years. If the MAGA crowd bails and refuses to vote, the Dems will win every election from here on out.

They already thought they'ed win every election after Obama's term as the new demographics
suggested & james Carville wrote a book about. Now with the Biden/Harris circus about to
begin it's almost a sure thing. As 18 million DACA recipients become new voters, with D.C.
almost guaranteed statehood & millions more clamoring to get in on the borders & planes
from the middle east more than half of the country will celebrate the new 'wonderful era'.
Although a slight bit less of the citizens are beginning to realize that this country has
lost it's collective mind!

Last edited:
Who needs who the most moving forward??

Please feel free to explain your reasoning.
The GOP needs Trump voters. Unless someone with a backbone steps up I see very little support going forward for the party

Sad to say, but the GOP is toast without Trump. It's the main reason they kissed his ass for four years. If the MAGA crowd bails and refuses to vote, the Dems will win every election from here on out.
Mark this down, I don't agree with you hardly ever but here you're spot on

If you're talking about 2024, then if Trump runs a campaign the only chance the GOP or Trump would have would be for the GOP to fall in line behind him like they did in 2016.

They are stronger together than they are apart at this point, but together they lose moderates and independents which they can't afford. Apart, the GOP gains moderates and independents but loses nationalists and populists to Trump, and Trump in turn loses the independents and moderates. The GOP's only hope is for Trump to permanently retire somewhere and keep quiet, allowing Trump supporters to trickle back into the fold.
The only virtue Donald Trump had, was he was the only GOP candidate who could turn over the rocks and tree branches, and find lifeforms who did not normally vote, and get them to show up. They will crawl right back under if he 'retires'

Reactions: lwf
90% of the GOP are die hard Trumpists.

If the GOP does the right thing and tosses Trump to the curb, TRump can start his own party and the GOP will become the 3rd party.

The GOP needs TRump is the correct answer to the poll question.

The best outcome for the republicans in 2024 is the Trump decides not to run but campaigns
hard for those who echoed the policies he uniquely rallied the public for with success in 2016.
Kristy Noem, De Santis or Tom Cotton come to mind.

If Trump bolts and goes the Teddy Roosevelt route of about a century ago he'll come in 2nd
not 3rd but I believe he'll only do so if it looks like the republican candidate will be of the
Mittens or McCain types!

The only virtue Donald Trump had, was he was the only GOP candidate who could turn over the rocks and tree branches, and find lifeforms who did not normally vote, and get them to show up. They will crawl right back under if he 'retires'

Most likely. If that happens, the GOP better get comfortable as the minority party and start moderating its position by moving to the left where it can. It will do much better as a moderate alternative to Democrats than as a far right extremist party.

The best outcome for the republicans in 2024 is the Trump decides not to run but campaigns
hard for those who echoed the policies he uniquely rallied the public for with success in 2016.
Kristy Noem, De Santis or Tom Cotton come to mind.

If Trump bolts and goes the Teddy Roosevelt route of about a century ago he'll come in 2nd
not 3rd but I believe he'll only do so if it looks like the republican candidate will be of the
Mittens or McCain types!

Trump could bring some die hard supporters to another GOP candidate, but he could be the kiss of death when it comes to the moderate and independent vote. Trump's support might cause some moderate conservatives to vote third party, especially if the GOP abandons him after he's out of office. Chances are good that the Biden administration will dig up some stuff about his presidency that will make him poisonous to all but extremists.

Point to ANYTHING that supports this.

Well, you've got me there, as I certainly have nothing concrete.

But I believe that once he's out of office and stops being the focus of attention, he can't sustain the movement. He'll have no power of his own and has burned just about every bridge he's ever crossed. I expect there's at least one more good scandal to come out of his finances (and/or his kid's) and he won't have the wherewithal to deflect it.

I expect most of those that move with him will get bored and wander back to the GOP, either because they want to actually impact policy or because of those revelations.

I believe Trump needs the GOP most. It's a complicated theory, but Dem's won't become Trumplican's more than they did against Hillary unless they ran Hillary again.

Trumplican's are not enough of a base for Trump on their own, he would need a combination of hard core Libertarians and the GOP base who would never vote for a Dem.

I personally don't see how this could work, but then, I never thought the GOP was stupid enough to make Trump the nominee in 2016...so what the hell do I know.

I believe Trump needs the GOP most. It's a complicated theory, but Dem's won't become Trumplican's more than they did against Hillary unless they ran Hillary again.

Trumplican's are not enough of a base for Trump on their own, he would need a combination of hard core Libertarians and the GOP base who would never vote for a Dem.

I personally don't see how this could work, but then, I never thought the GOP was stupid enough to make Trump the nominee in 2016...so what the hell do I know.
Personally, I see it as affirmation that the Religious Right, America First flag worshipers, Constitutional Originalists, Gun Nuts, Libertarians and Conservatives are really all a bunch of racist authoritarians who fall to their knees the moment the anti-Christ (as in opposite of Christ) tells them what they want to hear. To me, it was never a surprise. None of this was--Trump's four years played out exactly as I knew they would.

In other words, Sarah Palin was not an anomaly. She was a harbinger. And, Trump is the lifeblood of that side of the political spectrum.

I expect most of those that move with him will get bored and wander back to the GOP, either because they want to actually impact policy or because of those revelations.

I certainly respect your opinion but I do not agree at all. Trumpism truly is a cult. I don't see anyone wandering back to teh GOP. It's not about policy for Trump or his cultists, it's about lost people, outcasts, feeling acceptance for the first time in a group. This is very primal.
74% of all republicans feel Good Ole' Joe is not legitimate. This with ZERO facts to support that belief.
That 74% would follow TRump to hell. They are highly unlikely to drift back to the GOP.

They did in 2020 without election fraud. And there's no way Trump gets even 30 million without the GOP backing him.
No...they didn't.

Every time from now forward.

You might as well retire. You are helpless before us.

I certainly respect your opinion but I do not agree at all. Trumpism truly is a cult. I don't see anyone wandering back to teh GOP. It's not about policy for Trump or his cultists, it's about lost people, outcasts, feeling acceptance for the first time in a group. This is very primal.
74% of all republicans feel Good Ole' Joe is not legitimate. This with ZERO facts to support that belief.
That 74% would follow TRump to hell. They are highly unlikely to drift back to the GOP.

I don't buy that 74% number, either. These things are artificially inflated. People who would generally be supportive of whoever the GOP put up are clinging to Trump for lack of options, and because from a certain "owning the libs" POV he is quite entertaining.

So they say they support Trump again (regarding the election challenge) because what else are they going to say? "The Democrats were right about Trump?"

I think they'll drift back for two reasons:

The GOP will beg and promise they've learned something, and some will believe them. They want to be on a winning team with immediate momentum. Trump is done winning elections, and even if he were capable his third party wouldn't make them winners immediately, if ever.

I also don't believe Trump is capable of sustaining interest on his own. Wherever he goes will become nowhere once there is no longer any reason to react to his ramblings, because he's no longer relevant to anything.

I figure in maybe six months most will be all "Trump who?"

Never all, but enough to make the remainder funny rather than scary.

Last edited:

Nawwww, NEVER underestimate the Democrats' ability to lose a sure thing. We must remember Hillary and '06... ;)

Neither party is popular with the vast majority of Voters. Both sides have made the other a super E-Vile monster. Calm, cool and collected. Mature, rational, and responsible. Whoever holds that political ground stands a chance. The GOP could win if they renounce tRumpism (not so easy in the near term) and get back to the party I was a proud member of while serving GAWD n Country.

We are going to progress as if we don't move forward but continue to do the same damn thing which isn't making America great, we will surely fall. American exceptualism is just a slightly longer way of saying American Hubris and history is full of fallen empires crushed by their own arrogance.

I love my Republic, swore an oath to her founding document (a rather unique piece of paper in the long and storied history of mankind- often imitated, never duplicated) and bled a little keeping up my end.

I know the have and have nots are never going to sit at the same table- most working Americans just want a table, roof, nice meal and a chance of a desirable future for their kids. Perhaps now the grown-ups can figure out a way to make the American dream more than a myth some hold up to lure voters to their side... ✌

Back
Top Bottom