• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump suggests proper raking might have spared California from its wildfires

Lots of MAGA people have suddenly become newly minted "experts" in forest management this weekend. A topic they've never once debated on this forum (I assume) until Trump told them to. I wonder if they were all watching nature documentaries to get caught up.

And if they were, I wonder who told them to watch said films.
You, blindly, simplistically don't think there was an upsurge on your side of people that are anti making America great that were boning up on masking your side's dangerous anti-tree cutting/monkey wrenching activism to stop any cutting...

Are you an actual bonafide expert on the tree management matter, for example?

Yeah, right.

I consider it a spiritual as well as ethical obligation.

Extremes always hurt a movement's reputation. Most environmentalists lean conservation (destruction, if you will). Those who lean preservation just wanna cut less trees and allow less activity. Sometimes they're right, depends on time and place.

I'm sure we have detailed scientific data on fires and preceding conditions. We should be able to determine just how much brush needs to be cleared. Then we figure how to pay for it, hopefully not with a mountainside.

Fair. I'd support what makes the most sense, and doesn't cost a mountainside.

Sources...evidence...proof?

Trump's fault, to you folks, is that he is not a lefty. That and he got elected fair and square over a criminal syndicate from the Democrat side.

That's all.

Daily experience for one.

The excellent book THE DANGEROUS CASE OF DONALD TRUMP for another.

So explain to me exactly why environmentalists would oppose sane management of forest and how they have influenced the Forest Service that way. I checked the Sierra Club website and couldn’t find anything like that.

In the back and forth with Eco, it would seem to be the case that there are some environmentalists who are of the preservation stance, which it completely hands off, but, as Eco contributed, this isn't the mainstream.

Dumbest. President. Ever. I mean at least in his smaller press conferences he could speak. Now it's just baseless rambling.

The above quote was completely made up by the President of the United States. Nothing in that statement is true.

Him coming here was somehow even more of an insult than saying we should lose federal assistance because of the fires. We get it: he thinks we’re not legitimately a part of the United States because we’re a blue state. What does he get out of coming here besides insulting us for the amusement of his base?

You, blindly, simplistically don't think there was an upsurge on your side of people that are anti making America great that were boning up on masking your side's dangerous anti-tree cutting/monkey wrenching activism to stop any cutting...

Are you an actual bonafide expert on the tree management matter, for example?

Yeah, right.

No I'm not, but what I do know is that your post makes absolutely no sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The residents of Paradise who perished in the fire did so because of the massive amount of brush on both sides of the one way out, single lane road. The camp fire is on private land, not federal land.
If the sides of the road had been cleared on their way out when evacuating, the residents would have had a fighting chance of survival.

As usual, the O/P took Trump's comment about raking out of context to smear him. So what else is new with this poster?

In fact, Trump was correct about removing fuel prior to the fire...
Trump said in an interview set to air today with Mike Wallace that he'd seen firemen working and raking leaves near the fires. If that had been done earlier, he said, there wouldn't have been fires.

It certainly would have helped!!!

When Wallace asked Trump what he thought about the argument that climate change may have contributed to the fires Trump said, “Maybe it contributes a little bit. The big problem we have is management.”

“You need forest management, it has to be, I’m not saying that in a negative way.... I’m just saying the facts, and I’ve really learned a lot,” Trump said.

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-tru...ar-blame-climate-change-leaves-raking-1220377

CAL Fire tells us making a defensible space is the answer to keeping us safer .... Cutting, clearing, another name for raking, and removing is what is done to create that defensible space.
And yes, more needs to be done.

Last edited:
Him coming here was somehow even more of an insult than saying we should lose federal assistance because of the fires. We get it: he thinks we’re not legitimately a part of the United States because we’re a blue state. What does he get out of coming here besides insulting us for the amusement of his base?

I live in this state and I didn't get that impression at all.
He genuinely showed concern for people, those who have lost their lives and are suffering from the massive devastation caused by the fires, but I get why some here won't ever say a kind word about him ever.

Last edited:
He genuinely showed concern for people,

Trix, the idea that Trump showed genuine concern for anyone other than himself is too absurd. Just stop with the nuttery, no one buys it.

So, who?

I've met thousands of environmentalists. In grad school, in work, in conferences. I've never met one against forest management.

I agree, in part. Where the rub comes in is in the goals of forest management. For example, environmental groups may want more old growth per acre than a silviculturist would recommend for the health of the forest stand.

Dumbest. President. Ever. I mean at least in his smaller press conferences he could speak. Now it's just baseless rambling.

The above quote was completely made up by the President of the United States. Nothing in that statement is true.

Everyone knows that Trump loves all kinds of science such as ecology, meteorology and even geography. Trump loves to read history too. It should be quiet clear to all that Trump spends much of his free time reading thick books and reports concerning ecology. He loves that stuff. As a result Trump is an authority on climate change and not simply as it relates to the US but also to the entire world, even Nambia.

Trump is an extremely curious person. He can't stop learning. I have no doubt he knows more about California forest fires than anyone. You will notice that when Trump talks about forest management Trump cultists remain quiet and listen. They don't question because Trump knows what he's talking about.

I live in this state and I didn't get that impression at all.

That's because you're a trump supporter and seeing liberals insulted is your priority, even in the face of 76 dead and 1200 missing.

First. WTF is an ecomentalist? Second. what you are saying and what Trump is saying do not match in any way whatsoever. He simply has no idea what it is you are talking about and instead talks about raking the forest floor....

So either Trump thinks the only way his supporters (which I assume is you) will understand him, is to say these stupid things. Or he is really that stupid.

Who cares? Trump has said there needs to be forest management in cleaning out debris and such. He has said this repeatedly. His "rake" comment is saying the same thing a different way. Big deal. The substance remains the same-- better forest management.

Who cares? Trump has said there needs to be forest management in cleaning out debris and such. He has said this repeatedly. His "rake" comment is saying the same thing a different way. Big deal. The substance remains the same-- better forest management.

It's not the same thing at all.

Would not have saved Paradise....

Trump has simply backed himself into a corner over Climate Change and will say virtually anything to avoid the Climate Change issue. Does not help that he is bombastically wrong about Climate Change.

Lets see what does that make for a tally just the last few days:
- murder of WAPO journalist by Saudi...Trump WRONG
- "I was not on the ballot" when he insisted in rally after rally that voting for GOP candidates was voting for Trump....Trump wrong or lying again
- Trump's take on the California fires....Trump utterly and completely wrong

Last edited:
It's not the same thing at all.

Its the same thing. Its that we all know he is correct when saying there needs to better forest management. Reasonable people can dissagree what better forest management means in actual practice. But never Trumpers will never admit the concept is correct, and cling to an absurdity, and will be against it simply because Trump is in favor of it.

Its the same thing. Its that we all know he is correct when saying there needs to better forest management. Reasonable people can dissagree what better forest management means in actual practice. But never Trumpers will never admit the concept is correct, and cling to an absurdity, and will be against it simply because Trump is in favor of it.

Forest management doesn't mean raking leaves. Especially not in Northern Europe where it rains all the damn time. Trumpsters will never admit that the California drought and high winds was due to climate change.

Would not have saved Paradise....

Trump has simply backed himself into a corner over Climate Change and will say virtually anything to avoid the Climate Change issue.

There has always been forest fires. The idea that 'climate change' is the sole cause is as ridiculous as taking seriously and literally the "rake" comment. The former, in their anti-Trump mania, are the ones who have backed themselves into a corner.

Forest management doesn't mean raking leaves. Especially not in Northern Europe where it rains all the damn time. Trumpsters will never admit that the California drought and high winds was due to climate change.

It means keeping the woods clean of debris. That is what he is talking about.
And you know that.

There has always been forest fires. The idea that 'climate change' is the sole cause is as ridiculous as taking seriously and literally the "rake" comment. The former, in their anti-Trump mania, are the ones who have backed themselves into a corner.

The idea that Climate Change does not exist nor that Human impact has not been a significant contributor is if anything now utterly defeated.

Twenty-six, 500 year storms in one decade makes it hard to dispute. Insurance companies are actually adjusting their actuarial tables, rates and policies to take into account the new reality. When you can get Insurance companies to move on their Holy Grail, their actuarial tables, you have LOST the argument on Climate Change. You are dead and too stupid to fall over at that point.

It means keeping the woods clean of debris. That is what he is talking about.
And you know that.

Glad you posted that because as usual, Donald has no earthly idea what he talking about.

The idea that Climate Change does not exist nor that Human impact has not been a significant contributor is if anything now utterly defeated.

Twenty-six, 500 year storms in one decade makes it hard to dispute. Insurance companies are actually adjusting their actuarial tables, rates and policies to take into account the new reality. When you can get Insurance companies to move on their Holy Grail, their actuarial tables, you have LOST the argument on Climate Change. You are dead and too stupid to fall over at that point.

The idea that climate change is the cause of the fires is absurd.

Back
Top Bottom