• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump signs order prioritizing job skills over college degree in government hiring

When it comes to pandemic responses yes. The articles of confederation died long ago. We are all in this together.

Well I want federal control over the states as far as interning protestors and arresting militant organizations that are provoking riots.

I think it’s more valuable to prevent young people from incurring mountains of debt unnecessarily. In Corporate America, the truth is that nobody cares if you passed by the skin of your teeth or if your degree was issued by Billy Joe Bob’s Diploma Emporium or Harvard. Nobody really cares about the degree. What they care about is that you’re willing to attempt the job for tens of thousands of dollars less than the employee who’s been around for 30 years so they can put them out to pasture and save some money. If you’re not doing it for purely intellectual reasons or for a field that actually requires substantial academic knowledge (ex medicine) then its more likely than not to be unnecessary. At least initially, it’s more about who you know than what you know.
I'm guessing you're not a hiring manager in corporate America?

When it comes to pandemic responses yes. The articles of confederation died long ago. We are all in this together. Federal support is crucial when it affects multiple states.
Federal support is quite different from Federal control, and the States received Federal support.

Government agencies will always claim their failures were due to lack of funds. Government is the only racket that can consistently bamboozle people into believing their lack of tax money is a reason for failure.

In fact all of the coronavirus failure was due to the CDC and communist China and not due to lack of funds. They had more then enough funding and knowledge to carry out their roles.

You cannot show any failure of the CDC in regards to coronavirus that would’ve been alleviated by funding teams and offices as they presently exist.

Compare south korea to the US. This has been debated to death, you are wrong and soon your ideology will be in the trash heap of history. Maybe finally republicans can respect science like they did during Eisenhower’s presidency.

Federal support is quite different from Federal control, and the States received Federal support.

Lol barely any. Most states that are suffering from the second wave have no support nor the ability to handle this. It requires both. Der trumpengroper has been bungling this looking gor more excuses to tear **** down.

Based on what we see.....college, especially Ivy League, should be a disqualifier. Community College of the US Military is a notable exception.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

To say nothing of Wharton.

Have you ever looked at any curriculum? My experience as a graduate in economics is enough to tell me you dont.

I had been contemplating going back to college as I dropped out after my first year. I audited some classes, aside from the engineering class that had lab time, I would just take the classes online and get superior product for less money, free. Many of the lectures people get in Universities these days are online now. The only thing that requires brick and mortar really is the lab time. I own the businesses and quite frankly do not need the certs. I dont see why the states couldn't put most of these classes online for free or minimal fee's charge for the labs and testing for certs. Mike Rowe has some interesting incites.

The full interview.

In some cases it certainly makes sense. Why not hire someone who has years of experience writing computer code (but lacks a college degree) over someone without that coding experience but who has a college degree in music (for a government job writing code)?

Technology companies are already moving in the direction of looking beyond just people with degrees. Though it's important to remember that in tech, you'll be competing against people with degrees in the field and who are also certified in a variety of applications etc. There's a strong likelihood you wouldn't be asked to interview for a position if you didn't have some sort of relevant experience.

Would the Federal government enforce the wearing of masks? What if people refused?

Small fine but i can guarandamntee many more people would be if der trumpengroper didnt make a huge fuss about it.

I had been contemplating going back to college as I dropped out after my first year. I audited some classes, aside from the engineering class that had lab time, I would just take the classes online and get superior product for less money, free. Many of the lectures people get in Universities these days are online now. The only thing that requires brick and mortar really is the lab time. I own the businesses and quite frankly do not need the certs. I dont see why the states couldn't put most of these classes online for free or minimal fee's charge for the labs and testing for certs. Mike Rowe has some interesting incites.

The full interview.

Considering the source rave dubin :lamo

I'm guessing you're not a hiring manager in corporate America?

Certain professions pedigree matters. Certain employers with in professions pedigree matters. But most of the time it doesn't.

What matters most unless you have family in a company that is willing to give you a job just because they're related to you is competence. If you're incompetent your education doesn't matter. I think this is a problem people are having with college and job prospects. They focus so hard on getting good grades, they forgot how to be confident or had to have the right attitude.

Something I noticed from a lot of people who have graduated college and who are looking for jobs is they think they're too good for a lot of work that in the past would have been done by interns or beginners.

people go to college expecting to come out and instantly start making a hundred fifty thousand a year and that's not how it works. Depending on what you're doing you'll get there, for some professions it's not there. But jobs that pay that kind of money require a lot of initiative the good attitude, ability to learn, and willingness to do work that may not be you're absolutely reason for life.

At the end of the day going to college it's all about making money if that's not what you view it as you're wasting money. Lots of what you can learn in college just for the sake of learning it can be learned on your own. For way less expense or free.

I spent 30 years working for a Federal Agency. I can agree that some federal jobs do not require a college degree. Some do. It was by experience that the OPM job classification series was pretty much spot on. It did go through updates during my work time. The OP linked article did state, ""The government is not eliminating the college requirement entirely but instead will stress skills in jobs where having a degree is less important. ".

imo, Trump is trying to dummy down the federal workforce.

Classifying General Schedule Positions

Anti intellectualism. All degrees provide valuable job skills and there are jobs for every degree.

no there isn't.
get some degree on some soft social science and see you available job pool.

This new system makes the hiring process far more subjective, and thus subject to things like rewarding nepotism and politics. The hard working guy who has years of experience writing computer code will get shown the door for a much cheaper hire without much qualifications or skills, other than having friends in the hiring team. The aggregate performance will go down not up.

Government jobs have historically provided all kinds of subsidized college incentives for those who work hard and are hungry to upgrade their skill-sets. Wouldn't be surprised to see those get thrown out under the new right agenda, either.

this is just nonsense. you have 0 proof to back up anything you just said.

your basically throwing crap at a wall and hoping it sticks only it never does.

there are really only a few jobs that you need a college degree. everything else can be had by learning or developing your own skills on.

I see nothing wrong with doing this, at least on paper. The CTO of one of the companies I worked for only had a high school diploma, and it didn't affect his ability. In practice, many of Trump's hires have been questionable, and I'm not sure he has good enough judgement to pick the right person from a pool of candidates, especially when some of those candidates might not have a degree or any qualifications.

I spent 30 years working for a Federal Agency. I can agree that some federal jobs do not require a college degree. Some do. It was by experience that the OPM job classification series was pretty much spot on. It did go through updates during my work time. The OP linked article did state, ""The government is not eliminating the college requirement entirely but instead will stress skills in jobs where having a degree is less important. ".

cool thing about opinions we can dismiss them.
i will gladly take a guy that can code without a degree or a guy that has been in construction for years without a degree over someone that has a degree and thinks he can do those things without ever proving himself.

Certain professions pedigree matters. Certain employers with in professions pedigree matters. But most of the time it doesn't.

What matters most unless you have family in a company that is willing to give you a job just because they're related to you is competence. If you're incompetent your education doesn't matter. I think this is a problem people are having with college and job prospects. They focus so hard on getting good grades, they forgot how to be confident or had to have the right attitude.

Something I noticed from a lot of people who have graduated college and who are looking for jobs is they think they're too good for a lot of work that in the past would have been done by interns or beginners.

people go to college expecting to come out and instantly start making a hundred fifty thousand a year and that's not how it works. Depending on what you're doing you'll get there, for some professions it's not there. But jobs that pay that kind of money require a lot of initiative the good attitude, ability to learn, and willingness to do work that may not be you're absolutely reason for life.

At the end of the day going to college it's all about making money if that's not what you view it as you're wasting money. Lots of what you can learn in college just for the sake of learning it can be learned on your own. For way less expense or free.

So you're neither a corporate hiring manager nor a college graduate. No experience in those areas. Lots of opinions.

Perhaps other qualifications apart from a college degree is desirable. Lois Lerner Takes the Fifth at Tax Hearing

Back
Top Bottom