• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Trump Loses all his Senate support after the Election.

Montgomery

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
His support from the GOP will go up in smoke after the election because nothing will tie them to Trump. His support is only in the fact that Trump has the power right now to blackmail them into supporting him.

That's regardless of whether Trump wins or not. So if he wins, he's be powerless to continue his insanity.

His support from the GOP will go up in smoke after the election because nothing will tie them to Trump. His support is only in the fact that Trump has the power right now to blackmail them into supporting him.

That's regardless of whether Trump wins or not. So if he wins, he's be powerless to continue his insanity.

If Trump loses, then I don't see a reason for them to keep him in the limelight; I suspect it will be quite the opposite. The GOP will likely look to get back to a more centrist view in an attempt to win back voters who now associate them as part of "Trump's party". Trump losing will be a repudiation of his tactics and persona, so it wouldn't make sense to hang on to that strategy. If he wins, then it will likely be more of the same because the GOP will see the victory as a confirmation of him as a leader and approval of his tactics and policies.

If Trump loses, then I don't see a reason for them to keep him in the limelight; I suspect it will be quite the opposite. The GOP will likely look to get back to a more centrist view in an attempt to win back voters who now associate them as part of "Trump's party". Trump losing will be a repudiation of his tactics and persona, so it wouldn't make sense to hang on to that strategy. If he wins, then it will likely be more of the same because the GOP will see the victory as a confirmation of him as a leader and approval of his tactics and policies.
If Trump loses I think the GOP will still scramble to distance themselves from him. Trump's policy going forward will have to be just too crazy to support. Trump is intent on turning America into a fascist state and the GOP are still straight enough to understand that would be a tragedy for America.
Think it through. It shouldn't be hard for anyone who understands that Trump needs to turn America into a dictatorship to survive long.

But thank you for your considered opinion! It's just that Trump represents an escalation of violence, corruption and racism.

If Trump loses I think the GOP will still scramble to distance themselves from him. Trump's policy going forward will have to be just to crazy to support. Trump is intent of turning America into a fascist state and the GOP are still straight enough to understand that would be a tragedy for America.
Think it through. It shouldn't be hard for anyone who understands that Trump needs to turn America into a dictatorship to survive long.

But thank you for your considered opinion! It's just that Trump represents an escalation of violence, corruption and racism.

The thing with Trump is he is intellectually lazy, so I don't think he favors authoritarianism on an ideological level, but really just because it's the easiest way for him to do what he wants. He's the owner of a private company, so he doesn't have the experience of being held accountable to a board of directors, so he's been free to do as he pleases. Governance is very different, and while deal making is an important skill set, so is diplomacy.

That said, I don't think it makes his authoritarian leanings any better, but I don't see him as some calculating dictator really working to implement that type of governance. We have enough checks and balances in place to prevent that from happening in silence; the question is how much consensus there is to prevent it in a zero-sum game environment politically.

I wouldn't bet on that, better solution is to remove as many Republican Senators as possible and get rid of trump.

The thing with Trump is he is intellectually lazy, so I don't think he favors authoritarianism on an ideological level, but really just because it's the easiest way for him to do what he wants. He's the owner of a private company, so he doesn't have the experience of being held accountable to a board of directors, so he's been free to do as he pleases. Governance is very different, and while deal making is an important skill set, so is diplomacy.

That said, I don't think it makes his authoritarian leanings any better, but I don't see him as some calculating dictator really working to implement that type of governance. We have enough checks and balances in place to prevent that from happening in silence; the question is how much consensus there is to prevent it in a zero-sum game environment politically.
I hear you and I think you speak wise words, but................

There's no indication I can see that Trump would be motivated by a win to back off his malfeasance that is so obvious. His corruption and racism alone just can't continue in a democracy. The black population aren't going to just lie down and submit to force again. I see no solution unless democracy and order is restored.

Having said that, I recognize that there has to be a fight when Trump loses and it's going to be bloody. Only then will there be hope for America's future.

Btw, I'm a Canadian who is looking at it all from the outside. It think that's the only way it can be considred objectively.

And for example, you have checks and balances but many of them are rendered meaningless by Trump and Barr together. This is how dictatorships are created.

They still need him to pass any legislation that comes to his desk. I don’t think its ever happened but there’s nothing saying the sitting president can’t support the opposing party.

They still need him to pass any legislation that comes to his desk. I don’t think its ever happened but there’s nothing saying the sitting president can’t support the opposing party.
Trump's supporters are mostly uninformed and politically naive extremists and they are so far off track that they wouldn't even allow Trump to claim that Obama is an American!
A denocracy just can't ever exist with Trump as president. Americans must know that!

Trump's supporters are mostly uninformed and politically naive extremists and they are so far off track that they wouldn't even allow Trump to claim that Obama is an American!
A denocracy just can't ever exist with Trump as president. Americans must know that!
And that has what to do with what I actually said?

I hear you and I think you speak wise words, but................

There's no indication I can see that Trump would be motivated by a win to back off his malfeasance that is so obvious. His corruption and racism alone just can't continue in a democracy. The black population aren't going to just lie down and submit to force again. I see no solution unless democracy and order is restored.

Having said that, I recognize that there has to be a fight when Trump loses and it's going to be bloody. Only then will there be hope for America's future.

Btw, I'm a Canadian who is looking at it all from the outside. It think that's the only way it can be considred objectively.

And for example, you have checks and balances but many of them are rendered meaningless by Trump and Barr together. This is how dictatorships are created.

This is one area where I do think there should be a fair amount of concern, but mainly because we have an enabling senate. My optimism lies in the possibility the GOP controlled senate won't let the train completely derail.

This is one area where I do think there should be a fair amount of concern, but mainly because we have an enabling senate. My optimism lies in the possibility the GOP controlled senate won't let the train completely derail.

RE the Senate; early in this Administration, I kept hearing that once “they“ had gotten Trump to do their bidding, the Senate would turn on Trump. Judges, tax relief and regulation roll backs were all done and still they enable..........🤷

...when there is a “partial derailment,” it is difficult to get the train back on the tracks.....

Specifically what insanity.

The only insanity I can see is the growing epidemic ofvTDS.

This makes no sense whatsoever, but then you don't understand how Senate elections work, do you?

If Trump loses I think the GOP will still scramble to distance themselves from him. Trump's policy going forward will have to be just too crazy to support. Trump is intent on turning America into a fascist state and the GOP are still straight enough to understand that would be a tragedy for America.

You trust the GOP more than me. If he wins or finds a way to remain in office, I agree, his policies will go nuts. He will want more terms in office. He will cry like a huge narcissistic baby about how badly he was mistreated, but he prevailed over America’s enemies and radical left. He will not be able to manage COVID or the economy. He will not build a wall. I see mass protests, and calls for violence on the left. He will go nuts with conspiracy theories.

I honestly don’t know if the GOP will grow a spine. Maybe they would impeach him to get Pence. Who knows. maybe they would try to struggle within their own party for power instead of letting the people decide

What legislation though? McConnell doesn’t pass anything but tax cuts and judges. They have no ideas other than their cultural war stuff.

What legislation though? McConnell doesn’t pass anything but tax cuts and judges. They have no ideas other than their cultural war stuff.
Often when the legislature passed a new law, they are taking away or limiting more of our freedoms. There’s little to no merit in the idea of the more legislation the better.

You trust the GOP more than me. If he wins or finds a way to remain in office, I agree, his policies will go nuts. He will want more terms in office. He will cry like a huge narcissistic baby about how badly he was mistreated, but he prevailed over America’s enemies and radical left. He will not be able to manage COVID or the economy. He will not build a wall. I see mass protests, and calls for violence on the left. He will go nuts with conspiracy theories.

I honestly don’t know if the GOP will grow a spine. Maybe they would impeach him to get Pence. Who knows. maybe they would try to struggle within their own party for power instead of letting the people decide
If Trump wins he’s going to want more terms in office? I don’t know where people come up with this idiocy.

If Trump wins he’s going to want more terms in office? I don’t know where people come up with this idiocy.

Umm...from Trump himself:

Trump @ Wisconsin rally said:
We are going to win four more years, and then after that, we'll go for another four years because they spied on my campaign. We should get a redo of four years.

Don't let them forget Trump. Hang him around their necks like an albatross. Burn any lifeboats now.
Another Democratic on the forum openly advocating for violence against Republicans.

If trump loses can the GOP abandon him?

Not likely. Most of the voter base the GOP has left is the deplorables.

The republican senators left after November are going to have some regrouping to do. Will they continue to play to that base or try to rebuild that grand old party with a more moderate theme sans trump.

Back
Top Bottom