• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump lawyers ask judge to kill Democrats' bid to seize tax returns

That's the way our system works.
No, evidence is found before charges are filed.

You can't have evidence before finding evidence. The idea that investigations should only function on whatever they already happen to have, never looking for further evidence, is absurd.

Last edited:
I actually don't think the Dems should continue fighting for his tax returns. For what purpose at this point? It looks very politically motivated. Let the Cyrus Vance deal with it criminally in NY State.
So you probably don't think the Jan. 6th investigation should go on either for the same reason. The problem is we cannot let either of these things stand without setting a dangerous precedent. Do you think all Presidents should ignore subpoenas from Congress when the Constitution charges them with oversight over the executive branch?

And those issues seem to be in doubt.

IMO it's a dangerous precedent for granting anyone access to returns for the sole purpose of going on a fishing expedition.
Verses the Unconstitutional precedent that Presidents can ignore subpoenas for their oversight of the executive? That cannot stand and nothing is more important than upholding the Constitution. You act like there is no reason to believe that there are conflict of interest problems that could be revealed by those tax returns. Congress has a right to know if that is/was the case.

In doubt by whom? The law is exceedingly clear as well as the history of the law..

View attachment 67346755
For some reason some still think the Mr. One and done is immune from what is written in the Constitution. It's like they want to throw it out and replace it with a authoritarian dictator.

So you probably don't think the Jan. 6th investigation should go on either for the same reason. The problem is we cannot let either of these things stand without setting a dangerous precedent. Do you think all Presidents should ignore subpoenas from Congress when the Constitution charges them with oversight over the executive branch?
.....and you are probably wrong.

I also do not think Presidents should ignore subpoenas but obtaining them once he is gone does nothing to change that. I think a criminal investigation is warranted but to continue going after him on his taxes, as warranted as it might be, solves nothing at this point given that they legally can't share any information they may glean. I would much rather see a serious investigation in abuse of Presedentisl power that might result in some necessary legislative changes.

.....and you are probably wrong.

I also do not think Presidents should ignore subpoenas but obtaining them once he is gone does nothing to change that. I think a criminal investigation is warranted but to continue going after him on his taxes, as warranted as it might be, solves nothing at this point given that they legally can't share any information they may glean. I would much rather see a serious investigation in abuse of Presedentisl power that might result in some necessary legislative changes.
Do you know what a precedent is? We cannot let this one stand or every President will claim the same power. I also think the DOJ should be investigating Trump for crimes associated with the Jan 6th insurrection and the subversion of the election. He also should be indicted if crimes have been committed. That is what an impartial Justice Dept would do. We do not need any new laws either. The Constitution is quite clear on this.

Do you know what a precedent is? We cannot let this one stand or every President will claim the same
Rather a rude question, of course I do. However, I see no way that him being forced to hand them over after being out of office will make any difference should another President do it except to say.......but the law says you must , which they did this time to no avail. Most of the rest you says I agree with except I do think that Trump's Presidency, assisted by Barr, identified several areas where laws regarding Presidential powers need to be tightened. For example, how transcripts of calls and conversations with international leaders must be maintained...nothing to do with the Constitution.

Rather a rude question, of course I do. However, I see no way that him being forced to hand them over after being out of office will make any difference should another President do it except to say.......but the law says you must , which they did this time to no avail. Most of the rest you says I agree with except I do think that Trump's Presidency, assisted by Barr, identified several areas where laws regarding Presidential powers need to be tightened. For example, how transcripts of calls and conversations with international leaders must be maintained...nothing to do with the Constitution.
I think we can all say that allowing people to get away with crimes is not helpful in preventing future ones. Can we agree on that?

Last edited:
I think was can all say that allowing people to get away with crimes is not helpful in preventing future ones. Can we agree on that?
Absolutely and I hope his sorry ass gets burned big time by Cyrus Vance in NY the GA Attorney General and the several other jurisdictions pursuing criminal charges!

Absolutely and I hope his sorry ass gets burned big time by Cyrus Vance in NY the GA Attorney General and the several other jurisdictions pursuing criminal charges!
The DOJ should also be involved to investigate crimes that he may have been committed after the election. That is what an impartial DOJ would do.

I actually don't think the Dems should continue fighting for his tax returns. For what purpose at this point? It looks very politically motivated. Let the Cyrus Vance deal with it criminally in NY State.
The dems are really fighting for your democracy and at the chance that they lose, they want their fight to be documented for future generations in any and al ways. We may joke around here at this forum and we might be parts of those generations that hasn't experienced anything else, so it is hard to fandom, but the US is in a very dangerous situation.

The history of this particular portion of the law involved another presidential tax scandal... Presidents should not be above oversight by congress... ever...

There sure must be some real juicy goodies hidden in those tax returns. I mean really big juicy goodies!! Now, once again, it's up to the ex-King's appointed judge to make a decision. Do we remember starting clear back four years ago when The King began his quest to load courts up with his appointed judges? Yeah, for a big dope he knew what he was doing with that move.

Both sides are due Wednesday to tell District Court Judge Trevor McFadden, a Trump appointee, how they want to proceed in the case.

Take a look at Judge McFadden's history being with law enforcement. His history dealing with investigations into white collar crimes, money laundering and even in the Criminal Division of the DOJ. One would think ut-oh, the ex-King might be in trouble with a judge who seems hard on criminal acts and big on investigations into those white collar elites. However, being a member of the Federalist Society just might create a problem for those of us seeking the truth hidden in the ex-King's tax returns. Will Judge McFadden see fit TODAY to allow the truth to surface in the hands of Democrats?

He served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the District of Columbia and as counsel to the United States Deputy Attorney General. He also has extensive experience as a law enforcement officer, having served as both a Deputy Sheriff in the Madison County Sheriff's Office and as a police officer with the Fairfax County Police Department.[1]

McFadden clerked for Judge Steven Colloton on the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit. He was previously a partner in the Compliance, Investigations & Government Enforcement Group in the Washington, D.C. office of Baker McKenzie, where he represented clients in white collar matters, including Foreign Corrupt Practices Act investigations, anti-money laundering compliance work, and U.S. trade compliance matters.[2][3]

Before becoming a judge, McFadden served as a Deputy Assistant Attorney General in the Criminal Division of the Department of Justice.[2]

He has been a member of the Federalist Society since 2003.
Only God knows why this loser is trying to hide his tax returns, everybody with a working brain cell, knows he's a liar and a cheat.

The dems are really fighting for your democracy and at the chance that they lose, they want their fight to be documented for future generations in any and al ways. We may joke around here at this forum and we might be parts of those generations that hasn't experienced anything else, so it is hard to fandom, but the US is in a very dangerous situation.
You can not penetrate brains that are mired in fear and ignorance and sadly the United States of America, reeeeeeeekkkkkkkkks of these types.

false

that's like saying that every tax cheat that has ever cheated on their taxes has already been found out and busted.
I wonder what the percentage of people who cheated on their taxes, AND we’re audited, who were not busted?

I wonder what the percentage of people who cheated on their taxes, AND we’re audited, who were not busted?
hang on

did you just suggest that all crooks (tax cheats) have been busted?

hang on

did you just suggest that all crooks (tax cheats) have been busted?
Not at all, I am questioning what percentage of people have cheated, been audited, and got away with cheating the government out of it’s due?

Not at all, I am questioning what percentage of people have cheated, been audited, and got away with cheating the government out of it’s due?
Do you mean one person/company/entity or all the LLCs/a big or huge company/entity?

We don't know for a fact the Trump was ever audited, at least I don't. We only ever had his " word" for it and his word is worth crap. If one wasn't started before his election I doubt very much one was started after. Based on the fact, they are, or were, going to pay for the infrastructure bill by adding IRS staff to audit rich people's taxes I'd say there is a whole bunch of people that are not audited or ever fined.

We don't know for a fact the Trump was ever audited, at least I don't. We only ever had his " word" for it and his word is worth crap. If one wasn't started before his election I doubt very much one was started after. Based on the fact, they are, or were, going to pay for the infrastructure bill by adding IRS staff to audit rich people's taxes I'd say there is a whole bunch of people that are not audited or ever fined.
I am not speaking of the people who may be cheating but are not audited!
I am talking about people who cheated, and were audited.
New IRS Report Reveals 2019 Tax Crime Investigation Statistics
According to the 2019 IRS-CI Annual Report, IRS-CI achieved an impressive conviction rate of 91.2% – the end result of more than 1,720 warrants executed,
more than 2,000 special agents employed, and nearly 2,500 investigations initiated (including 1,500 for tax crimes and 985 for non-tax crimes).
The IRS themselves claim a 91% conviction rate, so if a person cheats on their taxes, and is audited, the chances of not getting convicted/fined, are very low.

Do you know that income for individual tax returns can come from many places?
Oh Yes, and the IRS has expert systems that look out for irregular income streams, and losses.
If you file your return with something like Turbo tax, one of the last steps is your audit risk.

Oh Yes, and the IRS has expert systems that look out for irregular income streams, and losses.
If you file your return with something like Turbo tax, one of the last steps is your audit risk.
So, are you somehow insinuating yet again that all tax cheats have already been identified and busted?

So, are you somehow insinuating yet again that all tax cheats have already been identified and busted?
I am not sure where you are getting that from?
I am saying that, any person who has income from several different streams increases their risk of audit,
and once under audit, most tax cheats are found out!

Back
Top Bottom