• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump: I could declassify documents by thinking about it

HenryChinaski

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal

Former President Donald Trump said on Wednesday that he had declassified the documents he took with him to his Mar-a-Lago estate that have since become the subject of an extensive Justice Department investigation.

Speaking on Fox News’ “Hannity,” Trump declined to point to specific evidence of that declassification. But, in a pre-recorded interview, he told host Sean Hannity that evidence was not needed.
“There doesn’t have to be a process, as I understand it,” Trump said. “You’re the president of the United States, you can declassify just by saying it’s declassified, even by thinking about it.”
Pressed further, Trump insisted he had declassified the documents in question when he left the White House, again without pointing to proof of such.
“In other words, when I left the White House, they were declassified,” Trump said
🤣 And his Jerry Springer IQ followers will suck this shit down.

🤣 And his Jerry Springer IQ followers will suck this shit down.
Trump's declaration is so asinine that even his most loyal supporters can't think of a way to spin it in Trump's favor.

Could this finally be the bridge too far? Probably not.

The man still thinks he's "King of America"..... the people who backed Trump should feel ashame of themselves, but likely they don't, because they are basically just like him in ways and manner. they will lie, cheat, steal, deceive, fleece and anything else because they think they are "models of life" and have delusions of superiority.

NO sane, moral, honest, dignified person who has integrity and respect the honor of having a moral character would have ever voted for Trump....

Trump's declaration is so asinine that even his most loyal supporters can't think of a way to spin it in Trump's favor.

Probably not - But yet one more indication as to how clueless Trump is as to the process involved when a former POTUS declassifies documents.

Maybe he's setting the grounds for an insanity defence, but in his abject civic ignorance, he just might believe that!

Mr. Trump takes a two pronged approach - one for the court of law and one for the court of public opinion.

Like with the election, if he feels he is losing in the court of law, he wants the court of public opinion to put pressure on the system.

As we saw with the insurrection (and with his own comments about trouble if he is tried and convicted here), there is no limit to what he would do, the violence he would accept, in order to have his way.

You forgot about the 24hr lag to get out a new narrative.

@Mycroft will be here with it as soon as it arrives in his email.

I hope he uses the "just by thinking about it" defense in court!

HAHAHHAAHAHAAHAHAH OMG me too!

"I just have to think it and everything is declassified! YEEHA!".

That was so breathtakingly ignorant that even his loyal lapdog Hannity had to put a stop to it.

I'm curious...exactly what IS the process a President must go through to declassify stuff?
Per the 11th circuit, one that, at minimum, produces legal evidence. They also referenced EO 13526.

I'm curious...exactly what IS the process a President must go through to declassify stuff?

You just have to "think" it, ya know?

Obama just "thought" the Clinton documents that had the Panty Sniffers all worked up were "declassified", and voila! They were. Don't you feel stupid now about screaming "Lock her up"?

I am sure it varies by the classification level of the document. But I know this. The agency that originated the classified document needs to be involved. The documents related to national defense cannot be declassified and were never supposed to leave the secure space they originated from. I am sure you saw the ones marked return to military aid. Why did Trump fail to do that?

Now if you want to get down to brass tacks and minute details on how exactly the declassification process works, perhaps you could do some research of your own.

One thing is for sure, no one can just imagine a document declassified as Trump alleged on his Fox interview. He is surely delusional.

"If you’re the president of the United States, you can declassify just by saying it’s declassified.” - Donald J. Trump, 9-21-22

And I'm sure he means even if no one else is in the room.

I hereby propose that we pass a federal law that hence forth all telepathic declassifications must be accompanied by some type of audible signal... I am suggesting SHAZAAAMMM! or something similar...

Back
Top Bottom