• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump expected to offer deal for ending the shutdown, Democrats expected to reject it

Getting special money for a pet project is not related to the core functioning of government. You're shutting down the entire government and threatening the livelihoods of 800k middle class workers in order to get something special and unrelated. Yes, it is a hostage situation and if we give into this tactic this time, it'll be used every year for every stupid goodie goodie you want us to buy you.

What's this "pet project" crap? There is already 600 miles of wall, primarily in and near population centers. The wall helps encourage LEGAL border traffic to use specified ports of entry and slows down illegal traffic. It's not a new method of border control and it has shown to be an effective tool in controlling the border.

What's this "pet project" crap? There is already 600 miles of wall, primarily in and near population centers. The wall helps encourage LEGAL border traffic to use specified ports of entry and slows down illegal traffic. It's not a new method of border control and it has shown to be an effective tool in controlling the border.

While I disagree, tunnels and all that, the point is the people's representatives have said "No" to money for a wall. The president should respect that. The Founding Fathers gave the people's representatives the purse strings for a reason. It prevents a despotic president from simply reaching into the treasury anytime he feels like it without the consent of the people. And has been pointed out, he doesn't want to give in because 'it would make him look foolish.' The House can't give in because it would set a precedent for acquiescing to presidential terrorist demands.

This is what is known as a Mexican Standoff, no pun intended. I believe the key to resolution is McConnell, and he will fold only at the insistence of the Republicans in the senate.

So you'd be alright with the next Democratic president using every year's budget as a hostage to get some new liberal gift each time? I doubt it. It's not the amount of money, it's the tactic being used. That is absolutely unacceptable when used by anyone. Open the government first, then we can negotiate about completely unrelated special projects.

So you'd be alright with the next Democratic president using every year's budget as a hostage to get some new liberal gift each time? I doubt it. It's not the amount of money, it's the tactic being used. That is absolutely unacceptable when used by anyone. Open the government first, then we can negotiate about completely unrelated special projects.

The longer the federal government is shut down the happier I am.

While I disagree, tunnels and all that, the point is the people's representatives have said "No" to money for a wall. The president should respect that. The Founding Fathers gave the people's representatives the purse strings for a reason. It prevents a despotic president from simply reaching into the treasury anytime he feels like it without the consent of the people. And has been pointed out, he doesn't want to give in because 'it would make him look foolish.' The House can't give in because it would set a precedent for acquiescing to presidential terrorist demands.

This is what is known as a Mexican Standoff, no pun intended. I believe the key to resolution is McConnell, and he will fold only at the insistence of the Republicans in the senate.

The federal government has an obligation to make sure that the international borders of this country are safe and secure. A wall, at least on some parts of the border, is a reasonable tool to facilitate that task. It's a tool which is currently being used and has been used by prior administrations. The ONLY reason it's being opposed now is because Trump wants it and because Democrats won the house in November and want to flex their muscles.

It's not a "Mexican Standoff". It's a hissy fit by Democrats who still can't accept that Trump is in the WH and, generally speaking, has been successful in what he's done.

The federal government has an obligation to make sure that the international borders of this country are safe and secure. A wall, at least on some parts of the border, is a reasonable tool to facilitate that task. It's a tool which is currently being used and has been used by prior administrations. The ONLY reason it's being opposed now is because Trump wants it and because Democrats won the house in November and want to flex their muscles.

It's not a "Mexican Standoff". It's a hissy fit by Democrats who still can't accept that Trump is in the WH and, generally speaking, has been successful in what he's done.

And keeping the government shutdown just for a bloody wall is somehow reasonable.

Using the paychecks and livelihood of 800,000 as bargaining chips is immoral.

It doesn't matter why you think the people's representatives are refusing to fund the wall. They have. That is what matters. Move along.

Tell me the winning strategy from either side that is going to end the standoff, Mexican or otherwise.

Can we talk about the president without insulting him? Donald Duck? Moves like a turtle. What are we, in grade school????

It starts at the top. Why isn't the Cult asking the same question about their name-calling nutjob?

The longer the federal government is shut down the happier I am.

You're gonna love it when there is a major airline catastrophe due to undermanned air traffic control. Those guys don't deserve to be paid, do they?

You're gonna love it when there is a major airline catastrophe due to undermanned air traffic control. Those guys don't deserve to be paid, do they?

That's what Pelosi is waiting for. Once something like that happens she'll use it as a call for impeachment.

That's what Pelosi is waiting for. Once something like that happens she'll use it as a call for impeachment.

No, you said you are happy that the government is shut down. When there is a tragedy, you will love it. You like the government shutdown. You obviously don't care about the consequences.

Trump might as well say "Give me $5.7 billion or I will crash a plane."

Sounds like you are the one itching for that to happen. But if an airline disaster is a legitimate threat, maybe Pelosi should actually sit down and try to resolve this. But you would rather people die in an airline disaster than for her to compromise with Trump. Good to know.

Sounds like you are the one itching for that to happen. But if an airline disaster is a legitimate threat, maybe Pelosi should actually sit down and try to resolve this. But you would rather people die in an airline disaster than for her to compromise with Trump. Good to know.

We must not negotiate with hostage takers, lest we encourage that behavior in the future.

Compromise? Trump's number is "$5.7 billion - for the WALL" and it has never changed. Where is his compromise? Mick tried to suggest Trump would move off that number in a meeting with Democrats in the room and Trump bitch slapped him in front of everybody.

Back
Top Bottom