• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump-Backed Candidate Wins Ohio Special Election

Hedgology

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
LMAO, "Blue Wave...."

Troy Balderson leads by 0.9 percentage points, or 1,754 votes, over Danny O’Connor with 100 percent of precincts fully reporting.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...-ohio-special-house-election-district-12.html

None of the networks want to declare a winner. They figured it was too close to call for anyone to embarrass themselves; however, the New York Times has 100% reporting in all the counties in district 12 (Franklin, Delaware, Licking, Richland, Muskingun, Morrow, and Marion).

Screen-Shot-2018-08-07-at-11.29.38-PM.png

More results are probably going to come in, but I'm calling the final results: Troy Balderson (R-OH) 101,574, Danny O'Connor (D-OH) 99,820, Joe Manchik (G-OH)

Screen-Shot-2018-08-07-at-11.32.15-PM.png

Um...didn't Trump win this district by double digits?

Recounts only occur if the margin differential is equal to or less than 0.5%. The margin differential is roughly 1%.

There are quite a few (8,000?) votes yet to be counted...absentee, etc. They could easily cause a recount. It is too early to call. God knows why Trump would like to draw attention to the fact that "his" guy had such a sad performance?

I'm not sure what more you're looking for from a special election.
This race was another data point in a clear trendline. So, really, there wasn't much more to look for in a special election.

Now, your commentary, on the other hand is lacking just about everything I would look for about a special election.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

LMAO, "Blue Wave...."

None of the networks want to declare a winner. They figured it was too close to call for anyone to embarrass themselves; however, the New York Times has 100% reporting in all the counties in district 12 (Franklin, Delaware, Licking, Richland, Muskingun, Morrow, and Marion).

More results are probably going to come in, but I'm calling the final results: Troy Balderson (R-OH) 101,574, Danny O'Connor (D-OH) 99,820, Joe Manchik (G-OH)

Are you really that dense?

(R)Pat Tiberi 66.5%
(D)Ed Albertson 29.8%

(R)Troy Balderson 50.2%
(D)Danny O'Connor 49.3%

THAT'S where the blue wave came in - even if it fell just short.

And guess what? There are over sixty seats closer than this one come November.

LMAO, "Blue Wave...."

With 3435 provisional ballots and 5048 absentee ballots not counted there is no way anyone can declare a victory until those 8.5k votes are counted. If a .9% gain drops below .5% there will be an automatic recount for sure. Noting that provisional and absentee ballots tend to favor Democrats historically. Even with all the district's 100% in this is why the Election Commission in Ohio is not calling it.

Also in less than 100 days these two will be running against each other again in theNovember election

Last edited:

(R)Pat Tiberi 66.5%
(D)Ed Albertson 29.8%

(R)Troy Balderson 50.2%
(D)Danny O'Connor 49.3%

Yes but it's YUGE!. Just watch Agent Orange call this a landslide!

There are quite a few (8,000?) votes yet to be counted...absentee, etc. They could easily cause a recount.

Less than 1% of people in the district has requested an provisional ballot. I'm not sure why you're making numbers up

It is too early to call. God knows why Trump would like to draw attention to the fact that "his" guy had such a sad performance?

This is why you keep losing at the ballot box. You don't seem to understand the difference between winning and losing.

(R)Pat Tiberi 66.5%
(D)Ed Albertson 29.8%

(R)Troy Balderson 50.2%
(D)Danny O'Connor 49.3%

You don't win by falling short.

Prehaps, but this election isn't much of an indicator of what is going to come in November. Unless you're talking about a lot of close losses.

With 3435 provisional ballots and 5048 absentee ballots not counted there is no way anyone can declare a victory until those 8.5k votes are counted. If a .9% gain drops below .5% there will be an automatic recount for sure. Noting that provisional and absentee ballots tend to favor Democrats historically.

I don't know where you are getting those numbers from, so for now I'm going to assume you made them up.

There are quite a few (8,000?) votes yet to be counted...absentee, etc. They could easily cause a recount. It is too early to call. God knows why Trump would like to draw attention to the fact that "his" guy had such a sad performance?
It's "too early to call" because the sun hasn't risen near the studios in New York City.

It's over.

If a recount is triggered, it is statistically likely that the end result will merely improve the results for the existing victor. Not by much for Ohio Republicans, and certainly not for Republicans across the country.

This race was another data point in a clear trendline. So, really, there wasn't much more to look for in a special election.

What clear trend would that be: Democrats losing at the ballot box?

Now, your commentary, on the other hand is lacking just about everything I would look for about a special election.

I only provided the results of the election; there was no commentary.

What clear trend would that be: Democrats losing at the ballot box?

We'll see if there's actually a reverse of 2010 as it could very well be different, but this is definitely the exact attitude many Democrats had in the run up to the 2010 midterms after barely holding specials for the departure of John Murtha and Kirsten Gillabrand.

Back
Top Bottom