• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trudeau gives banks power to freeze funds without court order in bid to choke off protest funding

Slartibartfast

Jesus loves you.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

It appears that Trudeau is moving to cut off funding for the truckers. This will probably clean up the dregs of the revolution that wasn't.

Amazing to watch such kitty kat tactics in action......the requests from the truck drivers are in essence things which Trudeau should be doing anyways. Sorry Canadians, there is no longer a right to peaceful protests in Canada.....those days are now GONE!!!

It appears that Trudeau is moving to cut off funding for the truckers. This will probably clean up the dregs of the revolution that wasn't.
Trudeau is making the revolution happen himself now from going over the top with emergency powers. He's changing Canada by setting precedent in which people can alienate other personalities only to provoke them into protesting during emergencies and then crackdown on those alienated.

That's really not a good idea for someone who pursues diversity, equality, and tolerance. He's making his own movement more and more aristocratic.

Amazing to watch such kitty kat tactics in action......the requests from the truck drivers are in essence things which Trudeau should be doing anyways. Sorry Canadians, there is no longer a right to peaceful protests in Canada.....those days are now GONE!!!
Asking to communicate with an official in charge is not something people should be afraid of doing. The fact that the official hasn't even reciprocated an effort to communicate is downright shameful, especially when we're told so often to use our words instead of jumping to conclusions in how we act.

You libs just love authoritarian princes
I like trade between the US and Canada. If these people want to protest without doing stupid stuff like disrupting it, more power to them. I don't care what happens in downtown Ottawa.

I like trade between the US and Canada. If these people want to protest without doing stupid stuff like disrupting it, more power to them. I don't care what happens in downtown Ottawa.
The protest that blocked the bridge ended before your authoritarian heartthrob declared martial law.

The protest that blocked the bridge ended before your authoritarian heartthrob declared martial law.
Would you donate to someone who goes around punching people in bars even though he stopped doing it two days ago after the police got involved? Or do you think it is appropriate to do so?

Would you donate to someone who goes around punching people in bars even though he stopped doing it two days ago after the police got involved? Or do you think it is appropriate to do so?
You libs used to love civil disobedience and protesting government overreach. Now you are just supporters of the oppressive state. Total 180

You libs used to love civil disobedience and protesting government overreach. Now you are just supporters of the oppressive state. Total 180
Yes or no - Would you donate to someone who goes around punching people in bars even though he stopped doing it two days ago after the police got involved? Or do you think it is appropriate to do so?

I will take you not answering or continuing to deflect the question as a no and that your recognize that donating to someone committing illegal acts is absurd.

I think it’s important to give one ruler the power to choke-off dissent. Open judicial hearings just, well, slow things down.

The trucker protest is about much more than vaccines; most of the truckers are vaccinated anyway. The overreach by Trudeau and parts of some Canadian government officials is astounding to me. For example: In Quebec province the mandate that retail stores over 1500 sq meters must scan customers' vaccine passports before entry is going too far. There is no science behind a mandate like that, and it very creepy and Orwelian to say the least. Like "mark of the beast / biblical" kind of creepy.

I think certain causes are better than others. For example, South African apartheid was worth a protest. An anti-vaxx trucker convoy where 90% are already vaccinated, and which most trucking organizations vehemently oppose... not so much.

Why do you approve of civil disobedience when it serves a right-wingnut narrative, but you oppose it when it comes to the civil rights of minorities?

Honest question.

The trucker protest is about much more than vaccines

Yeah, like the Confederacy, and harassing soup kitchens (designed for the homeless) for free meals.

Man, between Canada and Australia, the pandemic has really brought out the tyranny. Both of them have the Queen as their head of state. Coincidence?

I would think a lot of people on the right would love this. It's the attitude straight from the movie "The Untouchables". Without the killing of course...

"They Pull A Knife, You Pull A Gun. He Sends One Of Yours To The Hospital, You Send One Of His To The Morgue."​

We'll see how it goes. Although the Act does permit a broad range of power Trudeau has said the emergency orders, which are in effect immediately, will be “time limited, geographically targeted, as well as reasonable and proportionate to the threats they are meant to address.” There are very rigid monitoring mechanisms that must be in put in place to monitor it's use and Parliament must approve it's invocation within 7 days. There is also a compulsory independent review which must take place within a certain period after it is revoked. So far, the two main opposition leaders are attacking Trudeau about his leadership, well justified in my view, but they are not saying they are against it being used.

This had to stop, the protesters have every right to protest and heaven knows we are all fed up with covid but the way they have gone about it is illegal. They have no right to force businesses to close, block thoroughfares and violate court orders. Generally, the people of Canada, while sympathetic to their grievances, are very supportive of the federal government using force to break up this illegal occupation. Time for them to go or face the consequences.

Well, a lot of their funds are coming from Canadas list of terrorists so, I'd think they'd do something about that.

Shocking, right winger siding with terrorists,...not #vanillaisis

If it wasn't a revolution, why are you threatened by it? I remember about 5 years ago leftwingers are screaming "RESIST!".

Back
Top Bottom