• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trackless Train mass transit

As far as I was aware this “trackless train” was merely a three compartment articulated bus. Basically just a longer version of the two compartment articulated buses used all around the world. Did I miss or misunderstand something here?

As far as I was aware this “trackless train” was merely a three compartment articulated bus. Basically just a longer version of the two compartment articulated buses used all around the world. Did I miss or misunderstand something here?
It runs like a train - on an embedded guidance track.

In the 1930's I think we called them "trams". Except of course we had a driver on them back then.

They probably need to think about that "change the red light to green" thing.
Emergency vehicles in some cities use that system. Lights turn green in advance of an approaching fire truck etc.

It's longer, has dedicated lanes, and requires less operator input. So more like a train than a bus.
If it has dedicated lanes, it does not reduce infrastructure costs.

If it has dedicated lanes, it does not reduce infrastructure costs.
it's probably cheaper to designate a lane than build a rail system into the road.

Edit: Also, more flexible, because the road can be still used as a road if needed.

Last edited:
it's probably cheaper to designate a lane than build a rail system into the road.
Not if there's an embedded guidance track. Moreover, if it is essentially sharing the road with other vehicles, then it will have very serious speed limitations. Is it paved just like a road? Then it gets maintained, salted and plowed like a road, wears like a road, and gets pot holes like a road. It's a tram.

This is merely a hybrid system - a betwixt and between - neither bus nor train, with some advantages and all the limitations of both.

Just rides on the roads.

It's called an e-bus; this is almost as overhyped as Elon's hyperloop or vegas tunnel (but at least it actually works), and just like them, the idea isn't even new:

Last edited:
Not if there's an embedded guidance track. Moreover, if it is essentially sharing the road with other vehicles, then it will have very serious speed limitations. Is it paved just like a road? Then it gets maintained, salted and plowed like a road, wears like a road, and gets pot holes like a road. It's a tram.

This is merely a hybrid system - a betwixt and between - neither bus nor train, with some advantages and all the limitations of both.

Unless there is truly a dedicated lane — as in only these tram-trains travel in this specific lane — traffic blocks these vehicles the same as passenger cars and conventional buses.

In the greater L.A. metro area there are some attempts to establish dedicated mass transit lanes for buses. One would think that LA was proposing to barbecue puppies and kittens from the cries of the opposition. Previous attempts in the Westside — Mar Vista (LA), Santa Monica, and Culver City — have been greeted with catcalls, and threats of recalls (SM and CC). The personal automobile is a despot.

Unless there is truly a dedicated lane — as in only these tram-trains travel in this specific lane — traffic blocks these vehicles the same as passenger cars and conventional buses.

In the greater L.A. metro area there are some attempts to establish dedicated mass transit lanes for buses. One would think that LA was proposing to barbecue puppies and kittens from the cries of the opposition. Previous attempts in the Westside — Mar Vista (LA), Santa Monica, and Culver City — have been greeted with catcalls, and threats of recalls (SM and CC). The personal automobile is a despot.
An even more ridiculous idea, an elevated bus that was 'notable' for being to drive over cars as a 'solution' to this problem was also debuted by the Chinese and likewise hyped; it predictably never hit the streets due to obvious clearance issues (too tall to pass under most bridges/tunnels), hogging turns as cars had to wait for it to complete the movement, and its inability to drive above many vehicles, such as cargo trucking, as they were too tall. Ultimately those associated with the project were arrested for fraud.

I truly think some people come to this site to play a nay saying contrarian throwing peanuts from the gallery no matter the topic.

I truly think some people come to this site to play a nay saying contrarian throwing peanuts from the gallery no matter the topic.
Nah, personally I'm not a fan of unwarranted hype in general, and have been similarly critical of absurd and oversung ideas like Elon's hyperloop and ridiculous Vegas tunnel, as well as the 'elevated bus' that likewise came from China.

It especially grinds my gears when I see people roundly touting something that is an iterative improvement of an articulated e-bus like it's the greatest thing for mass transit since trains, boats or the modern passenger jet virtually everywhere I look on social media.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom