• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Top three beers

I suppose we had to find something we have in common sooner or later. :lol:

I actually kind of agree on the Sam Adams, come to think of it. I enjoy a lot of their seasonal brews (spring, summer, octoberfest, etca), but the regular variety has never been one of my favorites. It has a bit of a sour wang to it that I've never particularly cared for.

The best beer I've ever had, bar none, was at the Paulaner tent in Munich, while attending Oktoberfest in Germany. The only problem is that I don't have the slightest idea what it was called. I was too caught up in the moment to even think to ask. :doh

All I can say for sure is that it was on the lighter side of the spectrum, had kind of a white, frothy head, and tasted rather sweet for a beer. It was so good I downed two and half huge steins of the stuff in less than 45 minutes.

View attachment 67154174

It might actually have been the usual Paulaner wheat beer, judging from your description. It's a pretty nice wheat beer, I'm generally not a big fan of wheat beer though. Then again it's not in a wheat beer glass. Maybe they have their special Oktoberfest beer. Could have been a light Märzen. Hard to tell ;)

Last edited:
It might actually have been the usual Paulaner wheat beer, judging from your description. It's a pretty nice wheat beer, I'm generally not a big fan of wheat beer though.

I'm sure that they'd probably only bring out the very best batches of the stuff they had to offer for the beer tents anyway, so it's certainly possible.

Unfortunately, what I've been able to find on this side of the pond, however; hasn't even begun to compare. lol

The thread title made me think of the noted fable Goldilocks and the Three Beers,
and its sequel Goldilocks Applies for W.I.C.

I'm sure that they'd probably only bring out the very best batches of the stuff they had to offer for the beer tents anyway, so it's certainly possible.

Unfortunately, what I've been able to find on this side of the pond, however; hasn't even begun to compare. lol

I generally found the beers from Sierra Nevada and Dogfish Head very drinkable. Sam Adams slightly less, but not too bad either. And then there seem to be a lot of really good micro breweries that I haven't even started getting to know. But then if you like sweetish malty märzen type of beers, Bavaria is a good place to look.

The "Go To" is Michelob Ultra or Busch Classic.

In terms of the "smaller breweries" I LOVE Tallgrass' Pub Ale and Anderson Valley Fall Hornin' (it's like pumpkin pie in a can). Give it a try if you can find it.

I strongly dislike IPAs and, usually, "heavier" beers.

It's late and my hand hurts from wrist surgery and I'm going to bed, but I don't think Dog Fish and similar IPAs are that bitter. Any other time I'd do a quick serach and comparison of International Bittering Units (IBU) for Dog Fish and the like and report it here. I can't say with any certainty at all how Dog Fish and others would shake out. I'll try to do it tomorrow.

I suspect what people don't like about IPAs are:

1. Higher alcohol by volume (abv) which is going to be at least 6.0% for an honest West Coast Style IPA, and I include Dog Fish in that style.

2. Hops, hops, and more and more hops. IPAs are generally very hoppy. For me the hoppier the better. It is not a taste everyone loves. But hop heads usually love big IPAs.

Ouch. Hope you and your hand feels better soon Risky.

1. Bridgeport IPA - It's yeasty and hoppy. I love it.
2. Union Jack IPA from Firestone Walker
3. Dogfish 60; Professor Gesser's Mind-numbing Ale from Bluegrass Brewing; half of everything brewed in Oregon; Guinness, lots of different porters; Boonts Oatmeal Stout, Young's Double Chocolate Stout.

1. Bridgeport IPA - It's yeasty and hoppy. I love it.
2. Union Jack IPA from Firestone Walker
3. Dogfish 60; Professor Gesser's Mind-numbing Ale from Bluegrass Brewing; half of everything brewed in Oregon; Guinness, lots of different porters; Boonts Oatmeal Stout, Young's Double Chocolate Stout.

How're those Oatmeal and Chocolate Stouts? Any insight you can give?

It's late and my hand hurts from wrist surgery and I'm going to bed, but I don't think Dog Fish and similar IPAs are that bitter. Any other time I'd do a quick search and comparison of International Bittering Units (IBU) for Dog Fish and the like and report it here. I can't say with any certainty at all how Dog Fish and others would shake out. I'll try to do it tomorrow.

1. Higher alcohol by volume (abv) which is going to be at least 6.0% for an honest West Coast Style IPA, and I include Dog Fish in that style.

2. Hops, hops, and more and more hops. IPAs are generally very hoppy. For me the hoppier the better. It is not a taste everyone loves. But hop heads usually love big IPAs.

Dogfish 60 isn't all that bitter, for an IPA, with only 60 IBU's.

Stone IPA, one of my favorites, has 77.

Though considering what most people drink, the watered down stuff from Bud/Miller/Coors, they have IBU's of around 8-9. Which is barely above the human pallets capability to detect bitterness.

To take a break from all those political discussions, what are your top three beers? Mine are:

Andechser Doppelbock (strong dark malty German lager)

Dogfish Head triple IPA (Awesome though you can't drink much at a time, nice and hoppy)

Chimay Tripel (Great Belgian abbey beer, very complex )

What are your favorites?

- Leikheim Weissbier (German weizen)

- Steel Reserve (People will laugh but I still really like it)

- Roth Schwarzbier (German dark beer)

How're those Oatmeal and Chocolate Stouts? Any insight you can give?

Creamy. The chocolate stout is NOT like drinking chocolate beer. There's a hint of dark chocolate, but it is not a sweet beer. Both stouts are malty and smooth, best during cold winter months, in my opinion.

Has anyone tried London Porter? I had it the other day, really enjoyed it.

Hell yea, man. We really ought to have a forum wide DP get together one of these days, and drunkenly mess some stuff up. :lol:

Count me in. Always up for a little debauchery.

Ouch. Hope you and your hand feels better soon Risky.

Thanks darliin'. Torn ligament. Surgery and what will be a total of 2 1/2 months in a cast. It was my left hand and I'm left-handed. I can't do anything with the right hand. For the most part, I have been using speech to text software that is part of the Apple operating system. The software is part of a built-in accessibility program in Mac's operating system. It is surprisingly good, even with my southern accent.

But, thank you for your good wishes, I appreciate it. I feel better every day. Sleep is still an issue with a 5 pound full arm cast. :)

Left Hand Brewing's Milk Stout Nitro

Stone IPA

Sam Adams India Pale Lager

Those are the best 3 I've had in a while. Though not my permanent list, not by a long shot.

Just picked up a 6 pack of Lagunitas' "A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale" though haven't cracked one open yet. Heard great things though, love IPA's so I can't wait.

If you like a hoppy IPA be sure to try their IPA Maximus and their Hop Stoopid.

Is that the stuff that gives you a headache if you drink a large sip because it is just so unimaginably bitter? I may have tried it, can't remember exactly though. I tried several Dogfish Head ales a few years ago and there was one that really blew me away, I wonder if it was that one.
It may have been it's definately hoppy as hell, though I don't think as hoppy as Pliny the Elder which on paper has something like 150 International Bittering Units (IBU's) but literally, there's only so much hop bitterness that can be absorbed by beer and if it's overly bitter without the malt to balance it, people normally don't like it. I'm a bit of a hop head so I go out of my way for a hoppy beer. Pliny is probably the most bitter I've tasted but it has a high malt taste to balance it so it's still drinkable.

Budweiser

Pit Bull High-Gravity Ice

Steel Reserve 211 Triple Export

It may have been it's definately hoppy as hell, though I don't think as hoppy as Pliny the Elder which on paper has something like 150 International Bittering Units (IBU's) but literally, there's only so much hop bitterness that can be absorbed by beer and if it's overly bitter without the malt to balance it, people normally don't like it. I'm a bit of a hop head so I go out of my way for a hoppy beer. Pliny is probably the most bitter I've tasted but it has a high malt taste to balance it so it's still drinkable.

I also quite like a hoppy beer every once in a while but here in Germany, it doesn't really get any more hoppy then Jever Pils (except for maybe some Alt, west German ale, that I haven't come accross yet). So I like my IPA whenever I'm in the States, but the 90 minute one is a bit too hoppy for my taste.

up all night breakfast porter (triple c brewery)
duck-rabbit milk stout (duck-rabbit craft brewery)
guinness - but only draft properly poured

Plain old Draught Guinness

Deschutes The Abyss (when I can get it)

Anything by Stone. My favorite is Sublimely Self-Righteous.

It's late and my hand hurts from wrist surgery and I'm going to bed, but I don't think Dog Fish and similar IPAs are that bitter. Any other time I'd do a quick serach and comparison of International Bittering Units (IBU) for Dog Fish and the like and report it here. I can't say with any certainty at all how Dog Fish and others would shake out. I'll try to do it tomorrow.

Try Stone Ruination. That'll give you bitter beer face. :mrgreen:

Warsteiner Dunkel

(runner up Beck's Dark)

Guinness

(runner up Smithwicks)

Singha

(runner up Heineken)

Back
Top Bottom