• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

To ensure every child 'wins', Ontario athletic association removes ball from soccer

Re: To ensure every child 'wins', Ontario athletic association removes ball from socc

I thought that when I referenced the Onion it would enlighten some. Apparently though some don't read, or, don't know the onion's reputation for farce.

Some people only reply to the OP without reading the thread.

Re: To ensure every child 'wins', Ontario athletic association removes ball from socc

LOL, I love how so many people fall for the skits they do on "This and That." It sometimes even more funny than the skits themselves. My fav one was the closing of the Calgary Aquarium after only being open for 7 months. The interviewed the manager and he told them they were going to get rid of the fish -- including 2 beluga whales, sea otters ad dolphins -- by having a BBQ. I nearly peed my pants listening to the calls from irate listeners that came into the show. Hilarious.

I remember that one

I was half asleep and thought when did the aquarium open, and then I could not believe they were going to have a BBQ to eat the fish.

Upsets aren't that simple.
Yes, they are. If both teams play to their absolute maximum abilities/potential, the superior team will always win. You know I'm right, so that's why you're leaving.

The goal of sports is not, and should not, be about winning. Winning is an external reward, many times influenced by factors outside of your control. The only thing you can control is maximizing your potential and skills. The goal of sports should be about teaching that, teaching to maximize your abilities, teaching teamwork and sportsmanship. And most of all, to have fun.

That's what sports are about.

Yes, they are. If both teams play to their absolute maximum abilities/potential, the superior team will always win. You know I'm right, so that's why you're leaving.

The goal of sports is not, and should not, be about winning. Winning is an external reward, many times influenced by factors outside of your control. The only thing you can control is maximizing your potential and skills. The goal of sports should be about teaching that, teaching to maximize your abilities, teaching teamwork and sportsmanship. And most of all, to have fun.

That's what sports are about.

You make some good points, but if you remove the competition factor then it isn't actually a sport anymore. Kids also have to learn how to cope with disappointment and losing. For what you described above, that is what Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts is for, not sports.

You make some good points, but if you remove the competition factor then it isn't actually a sport anymore. Kids also have to learn how to cope with disappointment and losing. For what you described above, that is what Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts is for, not sports.
No one is arguing to remove the competition factor. Competition is part of what makes it fun. But winning is not, and should not, be the goal. It's the mentality of "winning is the only thing" which leads to so many problems, especially in little league sports. You should always try to win, but the goal is to play your absolute best. If you play your absolute best and still lose, then there's nothing of which to be ashamed. You simply shake the other person/team's hand and congratulate them on being the better person that day. Which goes back to what you said about coping with disappointment and losing.

Back
Top Bottom