• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tired of the egotistical, obnoxious, un-presidential behavior of Trump. 2016 Third party voters and

Tired of the egotistical, obnoxious, un-presidential behavior of Trump. 2016 Third party voters and the upcoming Midterms

Here’s what I think that both Trump and Hillary supporters don’t understand. There are around 10 million of us glad as all get out that Hillary isn’t our president. That those same 10 million are unhappy, frustrated that Trump is. That we who detested both major party choices last year will most likely side with the Democrats in the upcoming midterm election. That doesn’t mean we want the Democrats in charge in Congress, we don’t. It means we have a terrible, foul, bitter taste in our mouth for one each, Donald J. Trump. Not so much as a result of his policies, we favor some, oppose others. It’s his egotistical, obnoxious, very un-presidential behavior. In short, his persona.

To be perfectly clear, Hillary supporters, Democrats, don’t you take the way we are about to vote in the midterms as a redemption of Hillary Clinton. It isn’t. I suspect most of us would still vote against her if she was on the ballot. It isn’t that we like Democrats either, we don’t. Our dislike of the Democrats is a bit less than for the Republicans today. We want to register our contempt for Trump. We are going to give you, the Democrats control of Congress, but only because of one person, Trump. Now keep in mind once we do this, your brand of party first politics, putting party loyalty and agenda ahead of the nation’s. Putting the good of the Democratic party ahead of the good of the country like the Republicans have been doing. That you also leave a bitter taste in our mouths. That in 2020 we could easily reverse the way we vote in 2018. Much like the way we reversed how we voted Democratic in 2006 into a GOP landslide in 2010.

We’re looking for cooperation between the two parties for the good of America. This, both parties have refused to do. We may give you control, but we can easily reverse that decision. What is about to happen isn’t approval or even a like for you as a political party or your ideology. It’s simply a dislike of the person who resides in the Oval Office, nothing more, nothing less. Call it a protest vote, an anti-vote, a vote against someone and a political party you dislike at the moment a bit more than the other political party. Certainly not a vote of acceptance. If there was a third option other than the Democrats, we would take it. But in our two party system, we have to go along with the party we dislike the least.

Exactly.

Get some balance back, so neither side can do anything without cooperation from the other.

If that means gridlock, and I think it will until the tea people and their equals on the extreme left are gone, so be it.

I've always like divided government. In the past divided government lead to cooperation, compromise, small steps forward that most folks could agree on. No lurch to the far left or right. I say in the past as today it seems each party would rather stop the other party from having anything than to get something themselves. It's become an I get everything and you noting or we both get nothing.

I think cooperation between parties is a must. If it take giving congress back to the Democrats to achieve this, so be it. It may be very interesting. Trump supporters tell us he is a populist, a nationalist, that he doesn't have an ideology. If so, perhaps he might be able to work with a Democratic majority. Eisenhower did, Reagan work with a Democratic house as did Bush the elder. Bill Clinton with a Republican congress and they got a lot accomplished.

Who knows? Maybe the non-ideological populist will come out in Trump. One can dream.

I’m sorry, but I must speak my mind.

It was not just a choice between two presidential candidates, but two different visions of the country as represented by the individual political parties.

As a democrat, what compromise have I seen from the current congress?

Unitedwestand13;bt4393 said:

It was not just a choice between two presidential candidates, but two different visions of the country as represented by the individual political parties.

Well, you're probably going to get amnesty for all those DACA folks. Isn't that a compromise?

Unitedwestand13;bt4393 said:

I would say none. Just look at all the party line votes. that used not to be the case. As I stated before, each party, would rather get nothing than get 80 or 90% of something if that means giving the other party 10 or 20%. the goal of each party is not to let the other party get anything, nothing. This is the politics of today.

Obama proposed something, 100% republican opposition. trump proposes something, 100% democratic opposition. Neither party looks at the proposal to see if it has merits or not, just who proposed it.

Perotista;bt4396 said:
I would say none. Just look at all the party line votes. that used not to be the case. As I stated before, each party, would rather get nothing than get 80 or 90% of something if that means giving the other party 10 or 20%. the goal of each party is not to let the other party get anything, nothing. This is the politics of today.

Obama proposed something, 100% republican opposition. trump proposes something, 100% democratic opposition. Neither party looks at the proposal to see if it has merits or not, just who proposed it.

Obama actually proposed policies that the GOP formerly supported. He appointed a moderate right SCOTUS judge. The GOP even played games where they pretended to support something, got Obama on board, and then made a scene grandstand voting against it. Maybe the dems are trying that path with Trump, though I haven't seen him actually attempt following through on a compromise yet. Maybe he will with DACA to get funding for the wall, but the free-dumb caucus is sure to kill it.

This crap is a complete was of time and taxpayer money.

This has been getting worse for a long time.
https://www.npr.org/2018/01/17/5784...ence-americans-have-in-political-institutions

Looking at how independents, the non-affiliated view both congressional parties, I tend to agree. Only 19% of independents have a favorable or somewhat favorable view of the Democrats in congress. Now that looks horrible, but wait. Just 16% of the non-affiliated have a favorable or somewhat favorable view of Republicans in congress. Question 79A and 79B

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/wtt95as3fo/econTabReport.pdf

I would say they're sick and tired of all the partisan B.S. and want the two parties to work together for the betterment of the country. Neither party does that. I took a look at Gallup's party affiliation tables. As of December 2017, only 25% of the electorate identified themselves as Republicans vs. 27% for the Democrats. A record high 45% now claim independent status. In 2012 those numbers were 35% Democrat, 30% Republican.

If we had a third party, I think most Americans would go with it who aren't hard core Republican or Democrat. But in our two party system where the Republicans and Democrats write our election laws, a viable third party isn't about to happen. Our two major parties enjoy their monopoly and write our election laws as a mutual protection act.

Back
Top Bottom