• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Things Learned As I Progress

* there is a difference between the actions/sentiments of a nations government and the actions/sentiments of a nations people. increasingly, i find that they are often not the same

*omissions, additions, and alterations to the truth, no matter how slight, can create a world of difference in its perception

* be wary of trolls

Machiavelli is known for having described in plain terms the actions/sentiments of nations contrasted with the people. It's a good place to start since it's classic and is oftened referenced even today.

The key here is that alterations to the truth will occur by both the people, and their government, and everyone in between. Understanding what motivates them, allows us to predict what people are *really doing* despite all the propoganda, lies, etc., that we get barraged with. We always have to look at the underlying behavior, the rest...from both the average individual, or a massive government, is just a smoke screen.

Good luck in your journey!

I absolutely agree, but there's an extent the average person can decipher about things from their perspective. The ability of those who know to withhold information puts the rest at a great disadvantage and it's no wonder totalitarian states seek to control the distribution or access to information.

I think I only watched the history channels version of Machiavelli. I read this book called the 48 Laws of Power which sounds similar in tone, but I'll see if I can pick up a copy from the library. You're referring to "the Prince" right?

Back
Top Bottom