• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The World's Dependence on China (Specifically, the United States)

Igmyeong

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
China's influence has grown in the world, as I'm sure you have all noted. What influence will this have, especially on the United States?

Before the Industrial Revolution, China was one of the most powerful countries in the world. After, China became one of the weakest, due to its Isolationist culture at the time. Britain later milked China of its resources during the Opium Wars of China and left China a broken wreck.

Mao Zedong later headed another revolution, and actually later began a famine. However, the Chinese people turned capitalist, which is how it grew to become the second-best economy in the world, only a decade or so away from surpassing the United States. It manufactures many of the products in the world, and has experienced giant growth.

How many times have you gone to a store that had "Made in China" printed on almost everything you can find? Most of the things it manufactures is cheap as well. How could this affect the United States?

Discuss?

Agreed, the United States is too heavily dependent on China. That said, China depends on the United States as well, for income. Largely because of the US's imports and debt. The problem is, China wasn't as big a deal, but now it's a very, very big deal. If it or its government collapses... Well, lets just hope it doesn't.

The possibility of China or the CCP collapsing is negligible, the chances of that happening are basically zero.

True. China is also comfortably in no military combat yet, though there have been border disputes. The problem of the dependence still persists though. No other country has a better AND cheaper workforce than China. I doubt the US can wean itself off of China.

no the Vietnam workforce is cheaper than china

Better and cheaper, better referring to the government's ability to control and discipline it.

no the Vietnam workforce is cheaper than china

Vietnam IS cheaper, but do remember that they are still recovering from the War, which may seem quite some time ago, but like the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Vietnam is still recovering like Japan. Furthermore, they are still a communist country.

Yes, USA is greatly dependent on China as China is on USA. But, yes, a lot of people know that China would soon become one of the most powerful countries, if not the powerful country.
As Mr. Invisible said, we did borrow a lot of money from China, with really no way of paying them back currently and that is troublesome. I'm not sure what goals the Chinese government may have in mind, but they do have the capability of surpassing the USA.
Though China is still a huge country and it may be hard to control every aspect of it (with the fact that they have a sort of messed-up half-communist government), they still pose a threat if you wish to discuss in terms in power.

Vietnam IS cheaper, but do remember that they are still recovering from the War, which may seem quite some time ago, but like the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Vietnam is still recovering like Japan. Furthermore, they are still a communist country.

Yes, USA is greatly dependent on China as China is on USA. But, yes, a lot of people know that China would soon become one of the most powerful countries, if not the powerful country.
As Mr. Invisible said, we did borrow a lot of money from China, with really no way of paying them back currently and that is troublesome. I'm not sure what goals the Chinese government may have in mind, but they do have the capability of surpassing the USA.
Though China is still a huge country and it may be hard to control every aspect of it (with the fact that they have a sort of messed-up half-communist government), they still pose a threat if you wish to discuss in terms in power.

Actually , It is make me remember the similar situation ,in 1980~1990, the japan is the biggest creditor nation about USA, like present china ,it isn't????But the japan still control tightly by US government,right ??The situation between china and America like boss and employee,Can u image the employee will be rich than boss in few years???if this kinds of situation is not change , it is cannot occur:peac:lol:

It's more productive to me at this time to talk about the world's dependence on the earth itself. We talk about resources and economy in human terms only which is fine because that's part of the world too, but China is also dependent on other factors; and those factors are dependent upon other factors. Without African oil, China would be up **** creek right now.

I'm excited that the time is starting to arrive when humanity is beginning to break out of competitiveness and sink into the reality that we are interdependent.

Yes, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

Do not buy china's commodities, you will forget it for ever.

Back
Top Bottom