• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The World Cup is over, and the football season is approaching!

I knew you would be :)

He aint really. It is just that this last year or so has been very hard him. He has played pretty much constantly for 2 years due to the Euros and so on, and that is hard on the body.

As for Balotelli.. he is more injury prone than Torres heh.. Dzeko will be more expensive than Torres since his club refuse to sell him.

Regardless if you are getting ANOTHER attacker, then you will need to dump some of those you have.. you almost make Real Madrid look like amateurs when it comes to stacking a team with attacking players :)

Not really. We have 5 top quality defensive midfielders: De Jong, Kompany, Vieira, Barry and Yaya Touré. We will have to off-load some players as we have 37 in the squad. You might say the same for Liverpool who have a squad of 54 and Man Utd who have 46. Personally I don't think we need any more signings. With Bellamy, Tevez, Adebayor, Silva and an improving Jo up front I think we have strength from front to back.

Yup, Ludahai, we certainly should make Top 4 this season. I predict a slow start as the team won't gel immediately, but by early-November we'll be showing what the new City is made of... quality!

Oh man, this sucks. I saw football and thought we were talking AMERICAN football, the only real football. Enough with soccer already, it's over.

Soccer/football is NEVER over... now, return to your Glen Beck hole and let the rest of us talk about the world's most popular team sport...

Of course everyone knows what the word soccer refers to, it comes from the original English distinction made between Association Football (shortened to soccer) and Rugby Football. It's just that no one uses the term soccer except Americans and Australians and perhaps Kiwis. The sport's World governing body isn't the Fédération International de Soccer, but the Fédération Internationale de Football Association. The IOC also refers to the sport as Football. It's no big deal, but for ease of global comprehension why don't we stick to Football, Gridiron, Rugby and Australian Rules?

Because there are different dialects of English and the American dialect chooses to call Association Football, soccer...

Not really. We have 5 top quality defensive midfielders: De Jong, Kompany, Vieira, Barry and Yaya Touré. We will have to off-load some players as we have 37 in the squad. You might say the same for Liverpool who have a squad of 54 and Man Utd who have 46. Personally I don't think we need any more signings. With Bellamy, Tevez, Adebayor, Silva and an improving Jo up front I think we have strength from front to back.

Yup, Ludahai, we certainly should make Top 4 this season. I predict a slow start as the team won't gel immediately, but by early-November we'll be showing what the new City is made of... quality!

One thing is for sure, I will be pulling for man city against ManUre... I hate Manchester United almost as much as I hate the Blues and Spurs...

Soccer/football is NEVER over... now, return to your Glen Beck hole and let the rest of us talk about the world's most popular team sport...

Glen Beck? Who's he? Soccer won't be happening again for 4 more years, unless you are a pervert. NFL camps start in 1 week! Yay!

baseball?......

Glen Beck? Who's he? Soccer won't be happening again for 4 more years, unless you are a pervert. NFL camps start in 1 week! Yay!

Soccer happens all the time.... it is American football that takes a multi-month break because no one outside the US cares about it...

Moderator's Warning:
Guys... this thread is about soccer. Keep it that way.

aww come on cap, we just having a little fun !!:mrgreen:

No.. you are having fun,... most of the rest are just annoyed and hence someone reported you since there was a warning.

No.. you are having fun,... most of the rest are just annoyed and hence someone reported you since there was a warning.

yes petey, i was having fun, and meant no harm...you need to ease up and relax. with that said, i will exit the thread:peace

You're taking it a bit seriously Peter. Randel was just Yank-ing our chain. You shouldn't fall for it. It's a fun thread.

Randel, come baaaaack!

You're taking it a bit seriously Peter. Randel was just Yank-ing our chain. You shouldn't fall for it. It's a fun thread.

Randel, come baaaaack!

That might be, but these boards are full of such "fun moments" that derail thread and it is getting out of hand. If he wanted to take jabs then start a thread about it... I will even join! Got a lot of baseball and American football jokes and jabs!

Oh and that reminds me.. I was right, Man City and all the other teams can max have 25 players in the Premiership this year..

That might be, but these boards are full of such "fun moments" that derail thread and it is getting out of hand. If he wanted to take jabs then start a thread about it... I will even join! Got a lot of baseball and American football jokes and jabs!

Oh and that reminds me.. I was right, Man City and all the other teams can max have 25 players in the Premiership this year..

Just found an explanation of the 25-man squad rules....

BBC Sport - Football - New Premier League squad rules explained

So, you are probably going to be seeing the larger clubs having a set-aside group of players not registered for the PL but able to play the FA Cup, League Cup and European games. In the case of City, I could see the likes of Vieira, Zabaleta, Jo, Weiss in this group. Given that City will be playing in all three non-PL tournaments this season, that would make a lot of sense and still give these players considerable amounts of time on the pitch (provided we don't get knocked out in the first rounds, of course!)

Just found an explanation of the 25-man squad rules....

BBC Sport - Football - New Premier League squad rules explained

So, you are probably going to be seeing the larger clubs having a set-aside group of players not registered for the PL but able to play the FA Cup, League Cup and European games. In the case of City, I could see the likes of Vieira, Zabaleta, Jo, Weiss in this group. Given that City will be playing in all three non-PL tournaments this season, that would make a lot of sense and still give these players considerable amounts of time on the pitch (provided we don't get knocked out in the first rounds, of course!)

That or they get sold off. In Spain they already have the 25 man rule, and clubs dont have any stars not registered for La Liga.

That or they get sold off. In Spain they already have the 25 man rule, and clubs dont have any stars not registered for La Liga.

Here's an interesting point, from McVitee (a City email fanzine):

"Think of the numbers of professional soccer
players who will find themselves out of work at
major clubs. Last season Liverpool had a playing
staff of 63. The rags sported a staff of 50+.
Clubs like Aston Villa and Bolton with small
staffs may now have an advantage over bigger
clubs who must now sell on (if they can) their
footballing talent. This move will most likely
have a marked impact on transfer fees next time
around as clubs realize that they must unload
surplus players, player wages will also go down (not necessarily a bad thing).

This move to limit squad size will cause
significant hardship amongst fringe players. I
wonder how long it will be before one of them
sues for a: wrongful dismissal or b: limitation of trade."

Any thoughts?

Personally, I think I'm in favour of the change. I'd be happy to see City reduce the playing staff and cut that astronomical wages bill. It makes sense for the long-term financial viability of clubs and makes the gap between the richest and the poorest clubs a little less gargantuan. I remember very well when we were poor as church mice and Utd and Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea were light-years ahead simply because of the funds available to them - that's how the stupid and very recent concept of the EPL Big Four came into being. I'll be happy to see it die.

Last edited:
Here's an interesting point, from McVitee (a City email fanzine):

"Think of the numbers of professional soccer
players who will find themselves out of work at
major clubs. Last season Liverpool had a playing
staff of 63. The rags sported a staff of 50+.
Clubs like Aston Villa and Bolton with small
staffs may now have an advantage over bigger
clubs who must now sell on (if they can) their
footballing talent. This move will most likely
have a marked impact on transfer fees next time
around as clubs realize that they must unload
surplus players, player wages will also go down (not necessarily a bad thing).

This move to limit squad size will cause
significant hardship amongst fringe players. I
wonder how long it will be before one of them
sues for a: wrongful dismissal or b: limitation of trade."

Any thoughts?

Personally, I think I'm in favour of the change. I'd be happy to see City reduce the playing staff and cut that astronomical wages bill. It makes sense for the long-term financial viability of clubs and makes the gap between the richest and the poorest clubs a little less gargantuan. I remember very well when we were poor as church mice and Utd and Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea were light-years ahead simply because of the funds available to them - that's how the stupid and very recent concept of the EPL Big Four came into being. I'll be happy to see it die.

Well.. I see it from many aspects.

Yes it will in theory hurt the big clubs since they cant go on a spending spree without regard. They can max have 25 players so they have to think of who they buy and not just buy every possible talent they can find (like Rafa did in Liverpool).

On top of that, I believe that the FA is also adopting the UEFA rules on home grown players or at least some what. This will have a huge impact, since clubs like Man City but especially Arsenal will be forced to have almost half the team with players who grew up in the club or in England. Now that does not mean they are English of course, but it does increase the chances for English lads to get into the game.

And it is these two rules (if both are implemented), that means teams like the big 4 and now Man City have to think differently. Getting rid of players like Stephen Ireland or Richards can be impossible, because they are home grown players and since you maximum can have 25 players instead of 50+, then you are forced to include them in the bulk squad instead of just in the main pro squad registration. Teams like Real Madrid will have a similar problem this year in the Champions Leauge since they got rid of Guti and Raul this summer..

Basically, the big clubs wont remain as big as before because they are forced to actually think of who to buy and these players history before they buy anyone.

Back
Top Bottom