• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The War Crimes of Vladimir Putin

Must this complicated, paradoxical nation always be ruled badly, with cruelty, by elites who want to steal its wealth or oppress its people?​
Will Russian rulers always dream of conquest instead of prosperity?​

Liberal democracies of the world wait for Russia to catch up. We're still waiting.

This is what I was afraid of. War not going as well as he wanted, so he has become victim of the “cornered rat” syndrome and is now going into war crime territory in order to get the war going the way he wants. “Total war”. Killing of Ukrainians en masse by shelling residential areas and ruination of Ukraine infrastructure en masse. No mercy. He has told his army to kill kill kill. It’s going to be very sad over the next few weeks.
It will be even sadder if the world does nothing to stop it.

In Russia 6,817 people have been detained during anti-war actions since February 24.

Life in a police state.

Wonder what it's like to live in a police state, where every channel is like Fox "News."

F***ing hell, that's what.

Russia’s Echo of Moscow radio, voice of the liberal intelligentsia, blocked for reporting Putin’s war​

MOSCOW — Echo of Moscow radio, for decades the voice of Russia’s liberal intelligentsia, went silent Tuesday.​
Russian authorities, who have banned media from calling Putin’s “special military operation” against Ukraine a war, an invasion or attacks, blocked two independent news outlets Tuesday that were reporting the reality of the war, Echo of Moscow and Dozhd television.​

Must this complicated, paradoxical nation always be ruled badly, with cruelty, by elites who want to steal its wealth or oppress its people?​
Will Russian rulers always dream of conquest instead of prosperity?​

Liberal democracies of the world wait for Russia to catch up. We're still waiting.

My formative college experience was from 1969 through 1973. I concentrated on political science. The most interesting and stimulating class I took was taught a Chezch expat and scholar, an old school instructor who didn't pay attention to current models of "bipolar" worlds and "conflict studies". We had to read a large tome and well-known work "Expansion and Coexistence", a history of the foreign policy of the Soviet Union. Incredibly detailed, it was so interesting I wanted to become a Sovietologist.

There I discovered Russia's history, that it is deep in their character, that from the first Tsar it views all neighbors as either vassals, or rivals. A people, on the edge of Europe, considered backward, wild, and on the periphery of civilization. Whatever it is in their character, they have always found liberal democracy beyond their grasp. Perhaps because it stems from their isolation and their vast distance from the centers of Western Civilization, an empire built of minority tribes of widely different character and culture, brutal repression is all they have known.

I am convinced they will never change, at least not without the kind of occupation of Germany and Japan after WWII. Defeating the ingrained authoritarianism of a culture cannot happen by merely defeating it - as we know from the futile defeat of Germany in WWI. If you leave them to lick their own wounds, they will be back at your throat to atone for their humiliation.

The Soviet Union was, in a sense, defeated by its dissolution. The empire humiliated. We naïvely thought with communism discredited, everything would be fine. No need to invade a very weak Russian Republic, it was over.

So then the dark side, the collective pathology of Russia emerged again.

Should war come, should the west win such a war, it won't be enough to make them surrender. The world must occupy it, must force feed it the value of human rights, to make it accountable for its history. The children of the corrupt generations under communism must be fully indoctrinated, their evil elders such as Putin left to rot in prisons (or hung).

Their change in status does not mean that the indiscriminate shelling of residential neighborhoods where there is no active fighting is okay. It is a war crime by the evil madman Putin, pure and simple.

Nobody claimed otherwise they have unly tried to explain why and how these changes factor in to what are deemed to be illegal acts of war, war crimes

You have shown yourself to be not that knowledgeable about the laws themselves and have resorted to emotional assaults on the people trying to explain things to you

Were that farmer and his son and their dog that were machine-gunned and thrown in the ditch - just for driving on a road - combatants?

Evidently not and he has already made the distinction. Had they have had a anti-aircraft gun on the top of the tractor then it would be a different story. I don't see how you are not getting this tbh. It's pretty straightforward and you never came across as lacking intellect.

You will ignore anything that makes Putin look bad. No matter what. Doesn't matter how vile the murders involved.

He has told you what his position is, he waits until things can be verified or not. That is nothing like what you are portraying it as and it is your own commentary that is looking like hysterical accusatory ranting only.

And Putin has shut down every independent TV station because they are telling the truth.

Not unlike you people that are trying to suppress, by unjustified accusations and the resort to emotional blackmailing, people who are telling you the truth about the laws governing combat/wars. You maybe don't see the irony and/or the hypocrisy of your position/commentary but their existence is confirmed within your posts

Nobody claimed otherwise they have unly tried to explain why and how these changes factor in to what are deemed to be illegal acts of war, war crimes

You have shown yourself to be not that knowledgeable about the laws themselves and have resorted to emotional assaults on the people trying to explain things to you

And you have shown that you haven’t a clue about the Geneva Convention and how it applies to the shelling of residential neighborhoods. The experts of the Western world have concluded that Putin is committing war crimes. I have no idea why you are such a Putin lover. And I just took a look at your posts in all threads. Quite the hypocrite in accusing others of “emotional assaults”. One ad hom after another from you all across the threads. And more Putin loving.

Not unlike you people that are trying to suppress, by unjustified accusations and the resort to emotional blackmailing, people who are telling you the truth about the laws governing combat/wars. You maybe don't see the irony and/or the hypocrisy of your position/commentary but their existence is confirmed within your posts

See post #142.

It isn’t an anonymous and unverified Reddit post on the internet. The image was captured by Reuters photographer Vitaliy Gnidyi and I believe what I see in the live broadcasts from corespondents.

You spend all day, every day, doing nothing but posting pro-Putin propaganda. I hope he pays you well. Unfortunately, the ruble is not worth the paper it’s printed in anymore, thanks to Western sanctions,

And you have shown that you haven’t a clue about the Geneva Convention and how it applies to the shelling of residential neighborhoods.

I don't recall commenting on the shelling of residential neighbourhoods and I will wager away from access to a pc I would know a whole lot more about the laws of war and the Geneva Conventions ( clue, there are more than one ) than you do. It's like you have just discovered them since Putins attack on Ukraine as your comment about what constitutes being a combatant

The experts of the Western world have concluded that Putin is committing war crimes.

You need " western experts" to tell you what a war crime is ? Thanks for confirming what I said above and remember Google is your friend, well at least since last week.

I have no idea why you are such a Putin lover. And I just took a look at your posts in all threads. Quite the hypocrite in accusing others of “emotional assaults”. One ad hom after another from you all across the threads. And more Putin loving.

I often respond in kind, who knew?

What was the real glaring hypocrisy was your comment about Russian censorship of the media while you throw stupid accusations around at people precisely to try to do the same. It's a huge problem here and it's coming from people like yourself . Remember, if you don't value freedom of speech for those whose views you disagree with you don't actually value it at all.

As of this moment, I'm more than willing to chalk up the targeting of civilians by the Russians to pure incompetence or "scared cop syndrome." It's also quite likely in a lot of cases that they're not deliberately targeting civilians, but just don't give a shit or are being indiscriminate especially with indirect fire. I don't think the average Russian soldier on the ground ACTUALLY wants to kill Ukrainian civilians, or otherwise end viral on Twitter for killing civilians on purposefully or otherwise.

It'll probably get worse as we see the civilian population start fighting back with Molotovs and their own firepower.

I disagree, StillBallin75. Now that he and his country are cut off from most of the civilized world, Putin has no governor upon his action. I think he wants to break the will of the Ukrainians and force a capitulation, and that he feels the best way to do that is to make a public showing of Russian brutality. It appears he wants to show that any resistance is utterly futile and will be met with annihilation.

I disagree, StillBallin75. I think he wants to break the will of the Ukrainians and force a capitulation, and that he feels the best way to do that is to make a public showing of Russian brutality. It appears he wants to show that any resistance is utterly futile and will be met with annihilation.
I actually agree with you, I think the calculus has changed within the last couple days with the offensive stalling out where the Russian commanders are probably just going to start being as brutal as possible, because their initial plan of just taking over the cities quickly and cleanly didn't work out.

I don't recall commenting on the shelling of residential neighbourhoods and I will wager away from access to a pc I would know a whole lot more about the laws of war and the Geneva Conventions ( clue, there are more than one ) than you do. It's like you have just discovered them since Putins attack on Ukraine as your comment about what constitutes being a combatant

You need " western experts" to tell you what a war crime is ? Thanks for confirming what I said above and remember Google is your friend, well at least since last week.

I often respond in kind, who knew?

What was the real glaring hypocrisy was your comment about Russian censorship of the media while you throw stupid accusations around at people precisely to try to do the same. It's a huge problem here and it's coming from people like yourself . Remember, if you don't value freedom of speech for those whose views you disagree with you don't actually value it at all.

Of course you didn’t comment on the indiscriminate shelling of neighborhoods, That’s becauseit is a war crime and it would completely destroy your wrong-headed narrative.

And no, I don’t need the experts to tell me what a war crime is, but you evidently do. The choice is between accepting their judgements or that of a couple of anonymous Putin apologists in an online chat room.Sorry, but I’ll go with the experts at The Hague.

Have at it with the fee speech but it would be nice if you had some idea of what you are talking about. You don’t. The experts do.

I actually agree with you, I think the calculus has changed within the last couple days with the offensive stalling out where the Russian commanders are probably just going to start being as brutal as possible, because their initial plan of just taking over the cities quickly and cleanly didn't work out.

Putin has long practice at brutality, and his officers had better follow along or they won’t like their ultimate fate.

Of course you didn’t comment on the indiscriminate shelling of neighborhoods, That’s becauseit is a war crime and it would completely destroy your wrong-headed narrative.

He makes it up as he goes along. Anything to support the Czar.

Back
Top Bottom